Author
flyfisherman22
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 273
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/20 10:16:58 (permalink)

Little Mahoning

just wondering if anyone has been fishing hte fly project on Little Mahoning

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
~ John H. Bradley

29 Replies Related Threads

loaftech
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/20 10:23:27 (permalink)
    my buddy went last week and said he didnt even see a fish, but they stock it on sunday so thats all about to change!
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/20 10:25:03 (permalink)
    haha ya.. i have been doing really well over there, but i live like 10 minutes top from there...  i got one there about 3 weeks ago right around 17", but other than that the numbers are kinda low... never had a day where i caught more than 5... just usually get at least one... need any info let me know

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish."
    ~ John H. Bradley
    bert34200
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/23 12:37:46 (permalink)
    How big is this creek?
    bert34200
    Novice Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/24 01:35:10 (permalink)
    fished it today and only saw one fish. started at the bottom and worked up.. might do the opposite next time.
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/24 12:25:24 (permalink)
    it is a nice sized creek in these months but it becomes very very low in the late summer... and as for the fish, they are stocking it this coming sunday

~ John H. Bradley
    jstrats2131
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/24 21:00:58 (permalink)
    I've fished Little Mahoning 3 times in March and have yet to see a fish...I'm Loaftech's "buddy who didn't see a fish."  I went yesterday afternoon fishing another stretch and got skunked again.  Usually when the water is low and clear, you can look down over from the road and see plenty of fish on the stretch just upstream and downstream from the Trout Unlimited sign, but I saw nothing.  At the very least I expected to get a chase using a streamer.  I've only been flyfishing for 2 years, but I've never seen the stream completely barren like this.  A fish commission officer stopped by my vehicle and asked me how I did, I told him I didn't even see a fish.  He said he thinks stream got hit pretty hard over the winter by poachers.  Its a shame if this is the case, Little Mahoning is one of my favorite streams
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/25 10:00:55 (permalink)
    ya it is so nice to fish when the water level is decent... i have personally never seen any poachers or anything like that but when the water gets pretty low i am sure some raptors like the osprey or hawks can get the fish along with the herring and raccons and etc... i would personally say that the animals are most of the treat all because the water levels get so low...

~ John H. Bradley
    bert34200
    Novice Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/25 13:12:32 (permalink)
    I did see a few herons Tuesday.  Hey JSTRATS.  Was that you that i ran into?  I was the one who said I only saw one in that big long shallow tail out. 
    fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/25 18:36:58 (permalink)
    IT fishes nothing like it use to
    I have to get up their and try in again
    FC

tied to throw not for show
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/26 14:17:14 (permalink)
    it has definitly changed over the past couple years... i just cant believe how low it gets in late summer... its hard to fatham that fish can hold over while they are such an easy target from predation

~ John H. Bradley
    jstrats2131
    New Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/26 14:46:17 (permalink)
    nope don't think that was me
    fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/27 16:23:11 (permalink)
    hows creek look might go monday
    FC

loaftech
    Expert Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/28 15:56:19 (permalink)
    they stocked it today, me and strats will be there bright in early in the am hopefully with some pictures to follow!
    loaftech
    Expert Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/30 22:54:20 (permalink)
    Pictures as promised!

Little brown that couldent take a white bugger swung in front of him!

J strats with a nice lil brookie

Egg eating brownie!
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/30 23:00:59 (permalink)
    i slammed the trout on white woollies all morning in the fast water. they were spead out fairly well, whoever stocked the stream did a fine job speading the fish out. caught a yellow belly brown about 17". great day to be out sunday if you were able to put up with the rain.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

lbflyfisher
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/31 09:09:16 (permalink)
    nice fish, did they float stock it all all or did they just spread em out with buckets?
    loaftech
    Expert Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/31 11:20:45 (permalink)
    the entire stream was float stocked, like double taper said the fish are everywhere!!!  The numbers of fish you can catch on this stream right now are unreal, makes it hard to take pics when you know you can throw your bugger out and have 3 or 4 brownies competing for it!
    flyfisherman22
    Expert Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/03/31 13:15:29 (permalink)
    loaftech is right... they float stocked mostly the whole stream with exception for the millstone and another stop that idk what they call it... they put a lot of nice fish in... there is no one spot on the creek better than the other... just have to work a little bit to find where they are hidden...

~ John H. Bradley
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/04/02 23:57:58 (permalink)
    Fished the stream yesterday and did well.  Landed ten all on buggers except for two on green weenies. 

mikeyd
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/04/06 09:11:46 (permalink)
    Heres a nice brookie i picked up there on wed.

anyone fish it this weekend?  How is the water after all that rain?
    TheSuperFly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/04/16 10:22:56 (permalink)
    I been fishing Mahoning since I can remember I probably fish it on average 20-30 times a year depending on the water conditions and I can tell you how much it has changed over the years.  I beleive this used to be probably one of the top areas to fly fish for quite some time.  The creek has nice holes and holds fish over the summer months.  The fly project is pretty large and has some nice remote areas in it.  TU has done a nice job in taking floats to cover the stream over the years too. I have gone there before and caught large numbers of trout, even an occisional fish that was in the 25 inch range and it was not uncommon to see fish all through out the creek even in the summer months.  However, this has all changed within the last 10 years.  I can honestly say that I still advidly fish the stream but it is not nearly what it once was.  When the state claimed to put larger but fewer fish in, instead of brining three trucks to the creek only two would come and stock it. On average 8 buckets would go into a float with 3 being dumped off to the side at each hole.  In the March 2009 stocking 3 trucks came to the creek however, only 5 1/2  to 6 bucks went directly into the floats a cut back of nearly 5 bucks per stop.  I can honestly say that I havent seen a fish near 24 inches in the project area in over 9 years.  Sure its nice to catch them in the 17-19 range but it seems like this is even hard to come by anymore.  I have fished the stream several times this year, once being low I walked from the top of the project very far down not seeing a single fish.  Yes I know that some were probably hiding in different areas but truthfully in my years of fishing there I would always be able to find pockets of fish at least 2 or three together.  I have also fished other areas of the stream this year with out seeing fish or reciving strikes.  I dont mean to sound like a complainer, just someone who is very concerned right now.  If anyone has fished there long enough, you are probably starting to see the changes too...
    fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/04/16 20:32:15 (permalink)
    superfly
    you r dead on with your report
    FC

jstrats2131
    New Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/04/16 22:55:07 (permalink)
    This is just my 3rd year flyfishing and I have fished Little Mahoning quite a bit since I live in the area.  It seems like there is only a fraction of the fish that were in the stream at this time last year.  You can usually spot quite a few fish from the road upstream and downstream from the TU sign, but I am just not seeing (or catching) any decent numbers of fish like I have the past few years.  I have run into several anglers on the stream who are disappointed and notice fewer and smaller fish as well.  This has been such a disappointing spring on the Little Mahoning, hopefully things turn around after the May stocking. 
    TheSuperFly
    New Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/04/16 23:32:18 (permalink)
    Thank you FC, and jstrats, your post also appears to be very accurate too. I am also hopeful that it turns around. Last year, when stocked in May, the water was to low to float stock it so only buckets were put in. Im sure not everyone will agree with me but I know Mahoning is stocked 3 times per year, once in March, May, and October (I think, please correct if wrong). The fly project could easily be stocked 3 times alone in the spring time. I think this creek deserves the fish and larger ones at that. A few years ago anglers were allowed 3 fish per day in the summer months, which has since changed. Technically the fish should be protected now in the fly project (being that poachers don’t take them) and being the way that Mahoning holds fish from year to year I believe there is a lot of potential in this creek if the state can turn things around for it. Right now though, it seems it is headed in a different direction. Fly fishermen could have a lot of success there and by stocking larger ones; they would be there year round for anglers to catch. Just my thoughts on things but again I know not everyone agrees which is ok too... Im just not satisfied with what it is now compared to what it used to be. So much potential though. Please keep me posted on any of the fish you are catching or unfortunately...not catching. Good luck to you all.
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/04/17 01:03:29 (permalink)
    I have had good luck so far this year fishing the project water.  Every fish caught so far as been 11 inches or bigger except for one small brookie about 7 inches.  Yeah it is true that the stream was better a few years ago but the state stocked more fish then.  Just a question, how many fish landed or missed makes a good day?  Two weeks ago was my last time there, so maybe the fish are all poached out, but I highly doubt it.
    Speedbeef Down!
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/04/20 17:48:21 (permalink)
    I personally dont think poaching has anything to do with the problems that are occurring at Little Mahoning for numerous reasons. First of all, how many poachers would it take to remove 600 to 1000 fish from a stream in a matter of just a few weeks?? thats not possible. It all has to do with mine drainage and acidity. These fish are headed directly down stream as soon a they hit the water. Has anyone seen the sign at the Millstone Hole about the study that the IUP students did at Cessna Run?? If not i would be happy to explain, if so, you understand. For some reason those who should be dealing with this problem have pushed it aside and it has worsened over the last few years. I spoke with a gentleman in his later years last time i was there, he is at the stream 3 times a week and has been going there since they made it a project in the 60's.. he checks temperature and acidity and tells me that acidity has changed drastically over the last few yrs. He also told me that he read the water at 70 DEGREES! last summer. Put those two factors together, and voila, you've got your problem..its a shame.
    TheSuperFly
    New Angler
    RE: Little Mahoning 2009/05/02 11:59:37 (permalink)
    not to sure beef..Ive been going there solid for about 12 years + now.. water temp and acidity are def a factor in water but the state isnt aware of this? and if so why isnt anything taking place..last time I checked the open waters were just a few miles south of cessna run below where the project ends so tech people could be eating fish out of there and they probably are...not that Im a fan of keeping fish but.. sounds dangerous to me.. I dunno though. Id love to see his readings back in the early 2000s because the water quailty had to still be good, even in the summer because I know that creek holds the fish pretty well. Another huge factor has been the state cutting back on the fish being put in the project up there and throughout the entire stream as I keep track of the general number of fish being stocked each year... I can tell you this year has been the lowest by far.
    HootnHowl
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Little Mahoning 2020/12/13 17:14:49 (permalink)
    Wow, great information!  Hopefully people will still provide some more! I did real good on trout this year near the rt 119 bridge (i don't fly fish...yet) so i can't speak on the ffo section.  A bunch of bows, browns and a 17" golden, I have caught native trout in the section upstream of the "fishing hole," some tributaries upstream and hold overs in the winter and in august this year(and it has been low low low.)  People definitely keep fish from that hole, it is legal I think so restrictions on that could potentially help the ffo section.  Acid mine is definitely present throughout the watershed and I do believe alot of the fish go downstream maybe all the way to big mahoning or the tributaries through out the creek.  Water quality and pollution improvement plus moving the ffo section more upstream could help the trout population i believe.  I have caught bass near the rt 119 bridge and have had good fishing where little mahoning pours into big mahoning as well.  I hope to float fish alot of it next year to find out more about the fishing and overall quality of the watershed.
    HootnHowl
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Little Mahoning 2020/12/13 17:14:49 (permalink)
    Wow, great information!  Hopefully people will still provide some more! I did real good on trout this year near the rt 119 bridge (i don't fly fish...yet) so i can't speak on the ffo section.  A bunch of bows, browns and a 17" golden, I have caught native trout in the section upstream of the "fishing hole," some tributaries upstream and hold overs in the winter and in august this year(and it has been low low low.)  People definitely keep fish from that hole, it is legal I think so restrictions on that could potentially help the ffo section.  Acid mine is definitely present throughout the watershed and I do believe alot of the fish go downstream maybe all the way to big mahoning or the tributaries through out the creek.  Water quality and pollution improvement plus moving the ffo section more upstream could help the trout population i believe.  I have caught bass near the rt 119 bridge and have had good fishing where little mahoning pours into big mahoning as well.  I hope to float fish alot of it next year to find out more about the fishing and overall quality of the watershed.
    Jump to: