Spring vs. Summer carp location

Author
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/19 20:33:35 (permalink)

Spring vs. Summer carp location

I hear all these great things about late winter/early spring carp fishing, but i cant seem to find any. ive fished twin lakes, mamoth park lake and the alleg. river so far, been out 3 times and not one fish seen or caught in my normal summer spots. Where are they in general? ive been fishing on sunny warmish afternoons i thought for sure i would be able to find at least a couple, but i dont see any on shallow flats and no visible mud on the surface from feeding fish anywhere ive been. im using corn and worms btw, always do(at least til i get better w/ my fly rod). as always thanks any info is greatly appreciated.

3 Replies Related Threads

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Spring vs. Summer carp location 2009/03/19 20:46:58 (permalink)
    Where are they in general?

In the water......

They are still nudging off winters chill so there're not in regular summer spots yet plus they are a bit sluggish, your going about it right fish the water that warms up the fastest but make sure there is dropoff or deeper water nearby. Weather that remains constant for 4-5 days is the ticket then the carp will begin to venture around.  Changing temps and bad weather can turn the carp off this time of year! By that as an example: one day of 60's with sun, the next 30's rain, then back to 50's with overcast skies. 

This is from my own personal experience.
    post edited by Mountian Man - 2009/03/19 20:58:50

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Spring vs. Summer carp location 2009/03/20 23:11:21 (permalink)
    They move all day long. There is no one set place to find them. Best thing to do before setting up is scout the lake and look for any activity.Chumming as you fish would hold them in place and get them active also but they will move on and hopefully another school moves in.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: Spring vs. Summer carp location 2009/03/21 15:59:04 (permalink)
    well all three of my places are within 20 yards or so of deep water, the weather was fairly consistant in days prior to fishing, and i did look around at the two lakes i was at and saw no carp ne where. i also chummed as i fished, but never even saw one near by to me... i guess ill just keep trying, thanks anyway guys i really do appreciate the replies. good luck to you all.
    Jump to: