PeePeePond

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
RE: PeePeePond 2009/03/24 18:11:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: eagleed

Jimmy/Backin:

OK you guys, but it was the best picture I could get by taking it with my hand held camera.  Also, it will still be there when you go camping up there Jimmy and you know that Pond better than I.  Of course if I go back I'm going to fish the cove to the right of the beach/boat launch area back by the beaver hut.  That looks like a great area for that bass to haunt once July/August rolls around.

Eagle Ed

Is that really a fish ?
Dude steal the wife's digital camera (thats what I do). Take tons of pic's with it not just 1 because as a wise young man once told me: only 1 out of 10 come out good. Digital and SD card is the only way to go !!!!!
Ed, just kidding (you know it's the internet)

Don't wait till July & Aug, it will be weed choked .
this is what it looks like in the spring

May, May, yes May is when it ALL happends...

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
blitz42
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 258
RE: PeePeePond 2009/03/24 18:39:24 (permalink)
nice, digitals are definetly the way to go
eagleed
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: PeePeePond 2009/03/25 16:39:03 (permalink)
Rich:

Not this May, as I just drove up to Hague and on the way over saw that Brant Lake still had ice fishermen on it with 4-wheel drive vehicles (are they nuts).  At Hague the ice is about 50' off shore with limited access to Hague Brook into Lake George.  Across from Silver Bay (I worked most of my life for the YMCA so I stopped in) and noticed there were guys out on the ice on the East side of Lake George across from Silver Bay.
The most amazing part was when I got to Million Dollar Beach in Lake George and there were about 20 guys out on the ice fishing for lake trout/salmon.  The ice is about 12" thick, but getting on and off is the problem.  I fished from shore with my noodle rod hoping to entice a lake trout/brown or salmon to hit one of my offerings, but no luck.  I was surprised at how low the lake is compared to other years.
Also I thought you couldn't keep bass in May.

Eagle Ed
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: PeePeePond 2009/03/25 18:50:19 (permalink)
ed:
Yes the Ice WILL be gone by early MAY, if not mid-late April. That pic was taken in April just as the Ice out (you can still see some) . My trips in that area start the weekend before mothers day ,I don't forsee any change. This year was good but not that good. Can't keep bass if thats what your targeting but you can thanks to the regulations passed in 07, C&R on most waters. I however would be targeting the fish that do have an opening of first saturday in May

post edited by hot tuna - 2009/03/25 18:54:05

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Neversink Jimmy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 798
RE: PeePeePond 2009/03/27 11:28:01 (permalink)
You know what's funny?

In my experience- Pee Pee and Round Lake (Saratoga) are almost identical fisheries...

And my fishing on both lakes is really similar.  Nice bass and Esox and each waterbody, but tough to fish once 'real' spring takes hold and weed growth begins.

I mentioned Round Lake's weed infestation on an ice-fishing site awhile back and I was surprised to hear disagreeing comments about how thich they are.  Matty and I took his little boat out to Round last Memorial Day and covered the WHOLE lake trying to find a section to troll a few shallow spoons but the hydrilla/milfoil was so bad we gave up and went to Ballston to slam crappies...

Pee Pee is the same by mid-summer, but evening casting sessions in the canoe are still possible with a small and shallow-diving crankbait.  I am hoping to get up there at some point before the end of April, but there are a few hike-in only lakes that are going to take precendent because of the big ol' rainbows that are OVER eager to slam a slow-trolled streamer from the canoe.  I hope I can find the time though!!!   I am already missing the "good old days" when I had weekdays off and had nearly every ADK lake to myself!!!  Ha!

I am not sure if I ever posted this photo from last season- but I have always loved it...  This esox was up next to the canoe hooked up and laid-up until it decided to go BONKERS and I happened to snap a photo with my free hand just as this wicked head shake took place.  If I remember correctly, he came unbuttoned shortly thereafter:

Sorry if this has already been posted a zillion times by me...  My memory isn't what it used to be...

I am now convinced it is a redust of all the prescriptions and birth control pills dumped in my drinking water...

Hasta la' vista, Ice Fishing Thread!!!  I guess I should try to get some work done today... 

Heading back to Cayuga Lake this weekend to see my buddies and troll some stickbaits on planer boards for those wicked browns and rainbows...  Hope the weather is as good as they say it should be tomorrow!!!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: