Solar panel with trolling motor...

Author
sman555
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/21 16:27:36 (permalink)

Solar panel with trolling motor...

Anyone know about using a solar panel with a deep cycle battery for a trolling motor?  I do a lot of canoe camping/fishing trips and wonder about mounting a solar panel on my canoe... any thoughts?

5 Replies Related Threads

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Solar panel with trolling motor... 2009/02/21 19:19:02 (permalink)
    WELL you can do that but the amount of solar cells you would need to keep up on demand would make for a full cover on a 16ft boat the next best bet is a small wind turbin but not cheap use a turbin and it will give power at night as well as the day all you need is free wind ,you can make you own turbin for under 250 if you have some basic tools /saw/pole of pvc or of alum i have a how too or can send you in the right way to find it ,rember how many amps draw at full thrust
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Solar panel with trolling motor... 2009/02/21 20:12:25 (permalink)
    lead,

Solar powered chargers for marine batteries are common place, and not very big. 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Solar panel with trolling motor... 2009/02/21 20:19:44 (permalink)
    This is just one brand/model.

Generating enough daily power to run a mountain cabin with modern conveniences, the reliable Sunsei Solar Charger SE-1500 provides an immediate charge the minute it's exposed to daylight, even on cloudy days. This Plug'n'Play Solar Charger SE-1500 can also be used to protect boats and RVs from dreaded battery drain. The easy-to-use SE-1500 is constructed as tough and durable as a pioneer and is fully weatherproof. A push button touch action indicator lets you know that the panel is charging. The Solar Charger SE-1500 is designed to quickly and easily connect to other solar panels without out the use of tools.

Features:
    • 1500mA, 15V (22.5)
    • Plug'n'Play for quick connections
    • SE-1500 Solar panel
    • 1 multi-purpose adapter
    • 1 extension wire connector
    • 1 set mounting screws
    • Dimensions: 39.4'' x 13.8'' x 1.2''
    • Weight: 9.5 lbs. / 4.3 kg
    • Weatherproof
    • 10 Year Power warranty

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Solar panel with trolling motor... 2009/02/21 22:25:19 (permalink)
    ya but if your trying to run the batt dead then recharge but if you trying to use a charger to keep the batt up while in use you need enough amps most are rated by amp hr i also have a solor pan for the boat but i see you can add more cells and they flex  so if  not much room go with wind more room you can go with solar ,but rember we are under a 65% colud cover area always 365 a year that is the reason for sites of nat support and stock piles (ravena arsonal)
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9682
    RE: Solar panel with trolling motor... 2009/02/27 08:53:22 (permalink)
    I had asked about one of these a year or so ago, on here.  The model that I was looking at, was one from Harbor Freight, pretty small, maybe $40.  The response that I got, was they are good to just keep the starting battery charged from start to start (while boat is in storage or docked for a week or so).  To actually recharge a trolling motor, it wouldn't be able to do.  Check out the search function above, and might be able to track it down.  I'm sure a larger unit would be able to do this, but you'd need to do some calculations and likely end up with a panel that is larger than you'd want to add to your camping supply list.  It would also likely be rather expensive.
    Jump to: