Floating the Western Susquehann

Author
hiclassHilbilly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1052
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/21 11:22:31 (permalink)

Floating the Western Susquehann

Has anyone made a float down the western Susquehanna recently?  I am trying to put a guy's weekend together and I dont know if wanna be at lake erie, float the allegheny or float parts of the western branch susquehanna.  Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.  Is the fishing worth while???  Is it too rough to float in a canoe?  Is it too shallow to float in a john boat?

Nathan

8 Replies Related Threads

hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Floating the Western Susquehann 2009/02/22 14:31:01 (permalink)
    Well, I was thinking about floating the area east/south of renovo, through the Bucktail State Park.  Have you ever been through there? 
    MuskieBabe
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Floating the Western Susquehann 2009/02/23 08:49:30 (permalink)
    best bet is 2 wait a bit,much slush and ice jams. from chetremont golf course along 219 down stream to curwensville dam, can be a jem. fishin for smallies, dont b suprised to run into some lunker trout ,the occasional muskie, or walleye. wether its live bait, hardware, or fly fishing. this water is some of the most unappreciated fishing in the state. i grew up in n.cambria(spangler), that section is way 2 acidic to support life, so cherry tree down stream is best 2 start...
    MuskieBabe
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Floating the Western Susquehann 2009/02/23 08:50:58 (permalink)
    sometimes a spell gem with a "j"!
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Floating the Western Susquehann 2009/02/23 20:47:29 (permalink)
    Just depends what time of year you go. Watch the water gauge... I wouldn't go if it gets below 3.4' Some places will be hard to get through with a canoe. Isn't really any rough water though. Above and below C-Ville **** has some great muskie and small mouth fishing. Even the walleye is picking up in some spots. You'll have a great time. Shoot for early to mid May if I was you. PM me or Anadromous if you need any more info we fish the susky alot.
    nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Floating the Western Susquehann 2009/02/24 06:05:52 (permalink)
    i work in a sewer plant and have ready access to a ph meter. so whenever i go fishing i always take a water sample and test it at work.
    the west branch at shawville has been in the 7.00 to 7.20 range, so somewhere there is some pretty good water coming in. now you get down to the rolling stone bridge and its down to 4.02, but this is on the acidic side of the river.
     still this river has made a remarkable comeback since i was a kid growing up in curwensville, pretty much all we would catch were suckers and bullheads.
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

That is good info... The water is getting better every day near Northern Cambria. Through TU efforts and river resue grants, the Ph is now 5.9. Major clean up has been done, much more is needed and much more is to come. It seems that we are finally realizing that the susky holds the Chesapeake in the palm of her hand.
    ORIGINAL: MuskieBabe

best bet is 2 wait a bit,much slush and ice jams. from chetremont golf course along 219 down stream to curwensville dam, can be a jem. fishin for smallies, dont b suprised to run into some lunker trout ,the occasional muskie, or walleye. wether its live bait, hardware, or fly fishing. this water is some of the most unappreciated fishing in the state. i grew up in n.cambria(spangler), that section is way 2 acidic to support life, so cherry tree down stream is best 2 start...

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.theonshorefisherman.bravehost.com
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Floating the Western Susquehann 2009/02/24 21:20:59 (permalink)
    The usgs (US geological service) has a website with a bunch of river meters on them that you can chart data for a very long period of time.  I dont know if they have any in that area or not, but it might be worth checking out. Some of the stations have pH meters built in to them.  I live on the conemaugh river and as recent as 1992, it was a totally sterile river.  Nothing lived in it.  Now, the pH ranges from 6.5 to 8.0 all year with all but one month or so being above 7.0.   Anyway, it is a tremendous fishery now with HUGE perch (10-13''), more smallies than you can catch, rock bass, large mouth (pulled a 4 pounder out in september) and tons of bullheads.   The float is awesome in a canoe b/c there are no houses and no interuptions at all to the scenery except for the occasional train.  From New Florence down to Robinson has lots of rapids and there is not an orange rock from acid drainage till you get right down to robinson.  Robinson to blairsville is an even prettier float because you never even hear a car.  the nearest road is 2 miles over the mountain.  It is a float through a gorge.  I HIGHLY recommend it......
    LHUfisher
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Floating the Western Susquehann 2009/02/25 13:47:55 (permalink)
    If you are looking to float the section between Renovo and Lock Haven and you have a date planned I could let you know how it is. I go to school in Lock Haven and frequently drive along the river towards Renovo.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Floating the Western Susquehann 2009/02/25 14:40:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hiclassHilbilly

The usgs (US geological service) has a website with a bunch of river meters on them that you can chart data for a very long period of time.  I dont know if they have any in that area or not, but it might be worth checking out. Some of the stations have pH meters built in to them.  I live on the conemaugh river and as recent as 1992, it was a totally sterile river.  Nothing lived in it.  Now, the pH ranges from 6.5 to 8.0 all year with all but one month or so being above 7.0.   Anyway, it is a tremendous fishery now with HUGE perch (10-13''), more smallies than you can catch, rock bass, large mouth (pulled a 4 pounder out in september) and tons of bullheads.   The float is awesome in a canoe b/c there are no houses and no interuptions at all to the scenery except for the occasional train.  From New Florence down to Robinson has lots of rapids and there is not an orange rock from acid drainage till you get right down to robinson.  Robinson to blairsville is an even prettier float because you never even hear a car.  the nearest road is 2 miles over the mountain.  It is a float through a gorge.  I HIGHLY recommend it......

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis
    Jump to: