• Total Posts : 3029
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/04 16:18:06 (permalink)

16 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/04 16:24:37 (permalink)
    Dude invested $170,000 into that hunt?

Sheesh.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/05 08:17:27 (permalink)
    I will argue until I die that his achievement is less remarkable than a do-it-yourself hunter who invests a season hunting hard for a bull that may have less headgear but was earned with more sweat, boot leather, patience and passion.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/05 08:35:11 (permalink)
    I have hunted fully guided, drop camp, and hunt on your own many times over the years and will have to agree with Silvers post. My best success has come from the drop camps where the outfitter packed us in and out, had us set up with a tent and cots and we hunted strictly on our own. It becomes a bit boring for an experienced hunter trailing behind a guide all day long.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/05 08:56:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

I will argue until I die that his achievement is less remarkable than a do-it-yourself hunter who invests a season hunting hard for a bull that may have less headgear but was earned with more sweat, boot leather, patience and passion.

$170,000 is so out of reach for the average Joe....

I really dislike pay to play deals like that.....

So as you gasp at the picture of the Spider Bull, remember that you are seeing an animal produced by serial exclusivity, not by the American tradition of equal access for all.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

gct069
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/05 14:19:48 (permalink)
    just goes to show us what money can buy..my oppinion is,the elk was farm raised.........my friend raises deer and recently sold one of his bigger bucks to a game farm for $5000.00.(later scored in the 190,s non typ b &c).the "hunter" payed 50,000 bucks for the hunt.flew in on a chopper,and in less than an hour was back on the chopper after shooting that deer.not much sport there.i cant say for sure that this was the case with the elk,but it sure looks odd to me...wonder if anyone saw the elk before the hunter shot it?

gerg
    Colburn
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/05 15:08:09 (permalink)
    How could someone look at that amazing animal and think to themselves, I am going to shoot this and kill this creature so I can hang it on my wall.  Some animals should not be shot for "game."  And paying a bunch of people to scout out this amazing elk so all he had to do was walk a little ways with an outrageous gun point and shoot.  What a bastard.  Where's the hunt?  I would be ashamed to hang this animal on my wall.  This isn't f-ing art.  I am not against hunting.  This guy should be shot.  That elk was a much better then that pathetic wuss.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/05 16:43:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Colburn

How could someone look at that amazing animal and think to themselves, I am going to shoot this and kill this creature so I can hang it on my wall.  Some animals should not be shot for "game."  And paying a bunch of people to scout out this amazing elk so all he had to do was walk a little ways with an outrageous gun point and shoot.  What a bastard.  Where's the hunt?  I would be ashamed to hang this animal on my wall.  This isn't f-ing art.  I am not against hunting.  This guy should be shot.  That elk was a much better then that pathetic wuss.

You should tell me how you really feel.
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/05 18:17:02 (permalink)
    I'm not much of a pay 2 play guy, particularly when it is for that kind of money.  I never saw that it was killed on a preserve. On the other hand, most of us on this board aren't as wealthy as this particular hunter, and that skews our perception.

Let's just say that an outfitter from Pike County, IL called you and said that he had possibly the state record buck on trail cam, and you would be able to hunt his lease by yourself where he lives for $1700.  How many of you would be jumping at the chance? 

I have looked into cow hunts out west.  The tags are cheaper and a "do-it-yourselfer" has a reasonable chance of an opportunity for harvest.

Personally, I would rank shooting a mature cow on your own over this guys accomplishment.  Obviously, this hunter felt different about that.  But to each his own.  He is a hunter and made a larger donation to the Game Fund than most of us ever will.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

Colburn
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/06 09:36:05 (permalink)
    I'm not a hunter...I fish.  My grandpa brought me up fishing and I never really thought about hunting, don't have a gun either, he also taught me about respect for all types of life.  I would go fish in an area that would be known to have a greater population of large fish.  I wouldn't, on the other hand, pay money to fish in a swimming pool for large fish that someone else has caught, or "farm rasied."  Where is the adventure to that???  It is the same thing.  Someone has done the work in finding the species, and all you have to do is catch it or in this case, shoot it.  That just sounds really stupid to me.  I spent a lot of money towards fishing, no where close to 170000 or anything, but just on equipment, I still had to go and find the fish.  Sometimes I get skunked, oh well, sometimes I score like no other.  Both ways still make you feel good because I learned something on each trip, what to do and what not to do, where to go and where not to go.  All that pansey learned is how to write a check, and that good sirs makes him a wuss.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/06 10:22:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: worm_waster

Let's just say that an outfitter from Pike County, IL called you and said that he had possibly the state record buck on trail cam, and you would be able to hunt his lease by yourself where he lives for $1700.  How many of you would be jumping at the chance? 

Yea, but this was $170,000 not $1,700.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/07 08:13:11 (permalink)

I'm not a hunter...I fish.  My grandpa brought me up fishing and I never really thought about hunting, don't have a gun either, he also taught me about respect for all types of life.  I would go fish in an area that would be known to have a greater population of large fish.  I wouldn't, on the other hand, pay money to fish in a swimming pool for large fish that someone else has caught, or "farm rasied."  Where is the adventure to that???  It is the same thing.  Someone has done the work in finding the species, and all you have to do is catch it or in this case, shoot it.  That just sounds really stupid to me.  I spent a lot of money towards fishing, no where close to 170000 or anything, but just on equipment, I still had to go and find the fish.  Sometimes I get skunked, oh well, sometimes I score like no other.  Both ways still make you feel good because I learned something on each trip, what to do and what not to do, where to go and where not to go.  All that pansey learned is how to write a check, and that good sirs makes him a wuss.

If you fish for Erie Steelhead or other PA stocked trout you are fishing for farm raised fish.  Your license and stamp is the fee for raising and stocking them.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/07 10:11:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph

ORIGINAL: worm_waster

Yea, but this was $170,000 not $1,700.

That is my point exactly.  Say you make $40K a year and spend $1700 to hunt.  Say this guy makes $4M a year (dunno just saying) $170K is probably comparable. I would imagine this fella has a few bucks and bought the best hunt he could afford, just like you and I would do in our own hunting.  Just so happens, he shot the biggest one.  Noone would have noticed if he spent this money and shot the 19th biggest bull in the state.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/07 10:44:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: duncsdad

If you fish for Erie Steelhead or other PA stocked trout you are fishing for farm raised fish.  Your license and stamp is the fee for raising and stocking them.

Duncsdad,yes they were raised in a "farm" to smolt size,but then they are released into the wild to fend for themselves and swim free for a couple years before we play with them there is a difference.Talking about Steel not pelletheads.
    So called "hunting preserves" are a joke,where is there any "sport" in killing a farm raised animal in a fenced area.

kevinupp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 606
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/08 09:17:49 (permalink)
    $170,000 was just for the tag. 

He probably forked over over $200,000 after the guide fees and extra costs.

More than a million trees a year die to print environmentalist publications.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/09 00:52:11 (permalink)
    Maybe I didn't notice, but I never saw anywhere in the article that said he shot that elk on a preserve or that it had been raised on a farm.  What I got out of it was that, because the guy put out a ridiculous amount of cash, he was given access to some exclusive property and allowed to use a superior firearm.  The reason the spider bull got to the size it did was because it lived in an area of light hunting pressure, where (presumably) only primitive weapons were allowed.  If any schlub had drawn a tag for that area and shot that bull with the weapons prescribed for that area, I wouldn't have the slightest problem with it.  If I was the hunter, I would be happy that I'd shot such an exceptional animal, but I would also realize that it was my money that got me that opportunity, not any great hunting feat on my part.  Hell, you put out 170 grr, you aint going home with a raghorn!  But, at the same time, if I had it entered for a world record, I'd expect an asterisk to be put beside my name, like Bonds home run record (should be).
    Skeeter5
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Spider Elk? 2009/02/09 09:49:53 (permalink)
    The bull was not farm raised.... it was on public land, on and off again for the last several years....  Doyle Moss's crew has been chasing this bull for four years, and they have several of his sheds.  I heard the public traffic out there this year was off the charts, (chasing this bull)  The only shame I see in the whole scenario, is the governor's tag.  States should not allow these types of tags to exist......  it is a shame.  That being said, the gentleman killed it on public land, legally. 
    Jump to: