Snow on Ice

Author
CAP78
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/01 16:12:53 (permalink)

Snow on Ice

Just wanted to get some thoughts on what you guys think about how the bite is affected with all this snow on the ice.  I have my own opinions in regards to the snow making a dark lake even darker when the snow piles up and it seems to have a negative effect on catching fish.  Not sure if I am way off base or if others may agree.  Thoughts?  I am off to search the great world wide web and see if I can find some info.  

6 Replies Related Threads

Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Snow on Ice 2009/02/02 00:25:13 (permalink)
    I think it has the same effect that a high pressure system has..i.e. makes them tight lipped.   Think of what happens when you drill through ice that has 12-16" of snow/slush on it...The water gushes up through the ice.  That kind of pressure has to have an effect on the fish.
    eyeball
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Snow on Ice 2009/02/02 09:27:49 (permalink)
    Heavy amounts of snow on the ice are going to have a couple of effects on walleyes.  Number one it's going to change their depths used for feeding and idle times.  So walleyes that were resting in 25 feet of water and feeding hard in 15 feet of water may now be resting in 15 and feeding ACTIVELY in 2 to 10 feet.

Heavy snow will also make the bite intensity different.  We find on bright sunny, minimal snow covered ice, we get a very hot bite during the low light times of the day.  The middle of the day sees more fish idleing - still catchable, but they idle.  Now with heavy snow you see CASUAL feeding all day long, the dusk dawn frenzy still happens but fewer fish are involved, hence the myth the fishing is tough.  Their are more fish feeding casually through the day, with frenzies not as intense.  You need to stay mobile to capitalize on this.

Extended periods of thick ice and heavy snow eventually cause a loss of D.O. as photosynthesis is stopped.  Which slows fish's metabolism down as a part of their survival mechanism kicks in.  They still eat, but now you have casual feeding all day long from fish that may only eat once every couple of days.  Some lakes won't experience much of a slowdown other types of lakes come to a screeching halt for a short time.  It won't last long though, because with the spawn coming reserves need to be built.  Hope this helps and lets you build a successful ice fishing program that caters to the conditions.

Kolby Kester
    www.inlandwalleye.com
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Snow on Ice 2009/02/02 10:09:46 (permalink)
    Snow and slush on the ice didn't effect the bite much at all on Saturday.  Three limits of perch in a few hours... 
    walleyenut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Snow on Ice 2009/02/02 16:45:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for that insight eyeball. I would have never thought that snow would slow the bite down. The other day I must have had 10 flags that the fish hit the minnow and then swam off, must have been what was happening. 
    eyeball
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Snow on Ice 2009/02/02 17:19:51 (permalink)
    I hate it when they do that!  Little pesky fishies...  Did you get skunked or just run out of time. 
    walleyenut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Snow on Ice 2009/02/03 15:12:08 (permalink)
    No I caught one legal eye and 4 rock bass, but the ones that tripped the flag could have been legal, will never know. 
    Jump to: