Legislators and crossbows again

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/30 11:14:07 (permalink)

Legislators and crossbows again

Seems some legislators are unhappy with the optics ammendment and will draft legislation to attempt to legalize magnified optics.

Crap IMO.  I would like to see permit holders allowed their optics of choice and this will be addressed at the next meeting but who knows now with this bull going on again.

I have no problem with non-magnified optics for able bodied and will just re-tool mine.  Small price to pay IMO.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/outdoors/s_609416.html

My rifle is a black rifle

11 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Legislators and crossbows again 2009/01/30 11:16:01 (permalink)
    We got two threads on this one d. 

Maybe dr trout will begin to understand who pulls the strings.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2009/01/30 11:17:07

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Legislators and crossbows again 2009/01/30 11:26:43 (permalink)
    I would be highly disappointed if this board allowed magnified optics for all come April.  Defienetly some influence if that were to happen.

I did speak with a commissioner this morning and was told this issue will have to be addressed in April.  I tried to clarify if that meant for the current permit holders only and was not given an answer.  Said that the enforcement division would have to be consulted to work out the best option. 

I got the feeling that pressure has been there since the vote.  We will see I guess but this is not good.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Legislators and crossbows again 2009/01/30 11:37:41 (permalink)
    Pressure from legislators has been there for years d.  Gary Haluska testified about crossbows years ago -- check the report minutes.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Legislators and crossbows again 2009/01/30 11:46:14 (permalink)
    I realize the pressure from before was strong.  Hearing some bad things right now behind the scenes.  This is not good and was one of my fears no matter which way the vote went.

All need to keep an ear open.  Bad, bad, bad....

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Legislators and crossbows again 2009/01/30 12:09:14 (permalink)
    The legislators would have introduced a bill forcing the xbow, if the PGC wouldn't have passed it earlier this week.

I hear another group of legislators are trying to make a bill to make crossbows illegal now.   Hear any more about it?

Yikes.  This is sad.

Should just stayed with 'bows and arrows' PGC.

i think this mess could be the 'cherry on top' for some hunters from even hunting this state.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Legislators and crossbows again 2009/01/30 12:15:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

I hear another group of legislators are trying to make a bill to make crossbows illegal now.   Hear any more about it?

I heard that before the vote but nothing concrete since.

nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Legislators and crossbows again 2009/01/30 19:51:06 (permalink)
    They need to just get back to the point @ hand. Including crossbows for everybody in a deer season. I didnt really wanna see full inclusion, but did want to see some kind of inclusion then closely survey the results of the inclusion and make longer term decisions based on the results. They seem to making their own headache for themselves now. Oh the corruption of government,......isnt it great. 
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Legislators and crossbows again 2009/01/30 20:31:46 (permalink)
    post edited by carpin05 - 2009/01/30 20:36:13
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Legislators and crossbows again 2009/01/30 20:46:06 (permalink)
    Bye Bye!!!!!!
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Legislators and crossbows again 2009/01/30 21:11:08 (permalink)
    bye....
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Legislators and crossbows again 2009/01/30 21:27:24 (permalink)
    This is copied from another board.  It is Representative Marc G. responding to the legislation he plans to introduce:

"As one of the oldest members of this board I will answer this once as to why I feel I needed to take this position and be so direct about my feelings.

I invite debate on any issue relevant to the feelings of sportsman and our Commonwealth, if you listened to my testimony accurately or read it in the future before I mentioned crossbows at all I reached out to Executive Director Roe on many issues effecting all of us which I believe could be changed in positive ways:

Pass a Wildlife Violators Compact (my legislation)
    Support and make law an increase in fines and penalties across the board for both Game and Fish Agencies
    Establish a NO NET LOSS law in which sportsmen can never lose public lands that are open to hunting and fishing currently.
    Expand Mentored hunting Opportunities
    And I SUPPORT and pledged to help make an increase for a general Hunting License a reality.
    Asked about the Elk Tag (my bill) and who is getting it this year - National Wild Turkey Federation
    I also want to stop spotlighting but thats for another day.

As a State Representative from Allegheny County we have had the opportunity to use crossbows for the last five years with any configuration (scope/red dot/pin)to harvest deer. Yes I own a crossbow but haven't hunted with it for 3 years in Pennsylvania and have never harvested a deer with a crossbow, I average between one or two deer per year harvest with a bow, I shoot an old bow not some high tec super let off compound, but I have no problem with the amazing advances that bow manufactures have made in perfecting the weapon.

Agree or disagree with my position I have never seen the BOC take away any legal option for use in hunting that was already permitted and used by thousands upon thousands of hunters disabled and healthy. I'd rather they didn't pass the regulation then take away something folks have purchased used and by definition are now illegal in seasons and areas that for no other reason then to reach a "compromise".

I have every right to ask questions seek positive change and defend my constituents many who will be effected by this regulation change.

Zone 2B is big maybe 25% of all hunters reside in the SRA and when you figure that the Archery tag purchases still declined (even with crossbows)deer populations still grew (even with crossbows) and crossbow hunters are like everyone else no more violations then bowhunters in these areas what is the problem?

I'm for inclusion not exclusion and until we see a growth in our ranks I would support any effort to put more people in the woods enjoying our great sport. Every year since I've been elected we have lost on average 2.5% of license buyers from the previous year this isn't a growing sport so we need to encourage participation to stop the losses.

In my testimony I asked the BOC to make the change not the legislature its not our place to intervene but to disenfranchise so many hunters with one decision and place upon them an unexpected financial burden of which they had no control is not responsible and yes the largest portion of those effected is from the SRA/Disabled and I will speak on their behalf.

I stand by the call for change and will ask the BOC to revisit the issue in April and if not pursue whatever means to correct this unfair burden on the thousands of hunters in our ranks.

Thanks
    Marc "

Jump to: