night time ice fishing

Author
deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/23 19:38:41 (permalink)

night time ice fishing

Ive done some night time ice fishing in the past. Didnt seem to be much different then morning or during the day. Ive used glo jigs with grubs and minnies. Has anyone else had any kinda luck doing this? Any pointers are appreciated?
 I was planning on going saturday night.

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it

17 Replies Related Threads

Master Guide
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/23 20:07:26 (permalink)
    I have done some night time ice fishing for crappies on Lake Edinboro several years ago. We caught a few but it was never really like a first light bite.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/23 20:16:56 (permalink)
    So really im just gonna get some ME time on the ice. Might get lucky ? Dunno. But im gonna give er a go.

The Deetz
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/23 20:47:11 (permalink)
    Deetz,
       I icefish almost exclusively at night.  I mainly target crappie and walleye, although I don't turn my nose up at jumbo perch either.  Some lakes are better "night bite" lakes than others.  For example, PI, Wilhelm and Edinboro are excellent night bite lakes.  Pymatuning is a good night bite lake, but only for about an hour after dark.  Canadohta and Justus are horrible night bite lakes, at least from my experience. 
       Glow jigs work well at night, and I go to great efforts to make sure my minnows are changed often to ensure that they are fresh and struggling, creating a lot of commotion.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/23 20:52:46 (permalink)
    Fish will change depth in the water column as well as location as dark falls too, so don't be afraid to move away from the daytime horde.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/23 20:55:10 (permalink)
    Thanks joker , I kinda thought thats the way i was going to do things but needed some reassurance. I think the bay is the targeted area for tomorrow night. 

The Deetz
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/23 20:57:54 (permalink)
    thanks musky, didnt think of the depth change thing (water column), good ideeer!! 

The Deetz
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/23 21:15:39 (permalink)
    I've caught fish in the dark icefishing, but I agree with masterguide,  nothing beats first light in the lakes I fish most.  At least for the truely big crappies.  Dinks can be caught on brush piles all day long with an occassional good fish.

I also believe it can vary from lake to lake. 
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/23 21:42:46 (permalink)
    My best ice trips have always been the last hour of daylight into about 2 hours of darkness.

One cool thing I have had happen, I was on crappies a few different times, as soon as it got dark they actually moved up in the water column. We started by catching them on bottom but ended catching them only 6 feet under the ice. Maybe bait then the crappies were drawn to the light shining down through our holes? I dunno but have had the same experience several times.

One thing about what Bogeyjoker said, I agree with his night lake choices excpet for one.....Justus Lake. I have a spot there that usually always produces some big crappies, perch, and an occasional walleye, all after dark. I can't ever seem to get them during daylight hours there
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/23 21:50:01 (permalink)
    Thanks guys , all fantastic tips and suggestions. I believe Im ready to get-r-done. Just gotta find em first. Thats the fun part right? 

The Deetz
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/24 00:41:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ready2fish

One thing about what Bogeyjoker said, I agree with his night lake choices excpet for one.....Justus Lake. I have a spot there that usually always produces some big crappies, perch, and an occasional walleye, all after dark. I can't ever seem to get them during daylight hours there

Ready,  I guess you're just going to have to enlighten me as to where this magical spot is???   I've caught monster walleye and perch there during the day, but can't even seem to mark them at night.
    captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 274
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/24 07:29:45 (permalink)
    Don't they make you leave the ice after dark on the bay?
    walleyenut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/24 08:28:20 (permalink)
    Caught my two biggest walleyes at night, a 13 lb and 10 lb'er. If you are looking for big fish stay  for the night bite. 
    D.T.FISH
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/24 09:03:04 (permalink)
    On the PI side yes on the city side no, But you should know that being an erie shop owner bub.

If your gonna mess with the Kings Queens you better watch your Ace Jack!
    D.T.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/24 17:31:11 (permalink)
    D T is right , fished off city side at night a few times. nice and peaceful at night. that is why ill be doing it more often. P I closes at night. If you can walk a long ways then you can go anywhere as long as you are not parked on the park side.

The Deetz
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/25 06:10:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bogeyjoker

ORIGINAL: ready2fish

Ready,  I guess you're just going to have to enlighten me as to where this magical spot is???   I've caught monster walleye and perch there during the day, but can't even seem to mark them at night.

Not a magical spot at all! I'll PM you with it.......Just FYI, I have not been there yet this year so my experiences are from last year and years prior.

stewart20
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/30 22:18:10 (permalink)
    what about canadohta lake? does that have some good night fishing?  is it constant catching or a hit an miss lake during the winter. i would really like to catch more than a few dinks. make it worth the drive 

GONE FISHING!!!
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: night time ice fishing 2009/01/31 20:23:06 (permalink)
    I've had plenty of fun in the past with a car battery and a floating headlight stuck over a hole to light up the water. Seems to pull in stocked trout, crappies and gills but I never caught anything big doing it. Only tried it on a couple local lakes. Lots of action though after a couple hours.
    Jump to: