Goodyear Lake

Author
HookLineSinker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/27 21:07:43 (permalink)

Goodyear Lake

I'm heading out there this weekend and wondered if anyone has any info on this lake. It's a bit south of Cooperstown. I'm planning on hitting the walleyes at night. May just pitch a tent next to the lake for a few quick hours of shut eye.

Report to follow.

4 Replies Related Threads

MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Goodyear Lake 2007/06/27 22:54:58 (permalink)
    Ive never fished it. Good luck with the eyes though. Id much rather eat an eye than a trout any day. Ya gotta love trout but The white meat is where its at.
    Some garlic, pepper, lemon, and loads of butter......

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Goodyear Lake 2007/06/28 18:31:54 (permalink)
    you got that right Dan! ..i used an electric knife and made perfect white fillets and cut them into thirds.. my recipe is as follows for about 2 to 3lbs of fillets: 1) i mix 1 egg and about a cup and a half milk (can substitute evaporated milk) squeeze some fresh lemon too all in a plastic bowl, bath the fillets for a few( i let them soak 15 minutes or so while proceeding to prepare for frying 2) you can use beer batters whatever , but i just like breading fillets in italian seasoned breadcrumbs before frying 3) I like using a colestral free veg.oil but i eat little fried stuff so any high heat oil is best. But I will even fry in olive oil if it is all you have. Usually 2 to 3 minutes pan fried is all that is needed to brown and get the breadcrumbs crisp... 4) On the side, I enjoy tarter sauce( freshly made) Any sweet pickled relish helmans mayo and fresh squeezed lemon is all. Now when you have alot of fish you just make a side dish of something like i did spanish rice and mix in a can of peas before serving. But if you are small on the fried fish serving.. you can make fried fish burgers using the tarter and nice crisp romaine lettuce on burger rolls. Yeah, I like night fishing and thinking the main delaware is worth try possibly this weekend!.. plus it is alot closer to my neck in the woods! I will let you know if and what we do should we have the chance to try it soon.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Goodyear Lake 2007/06/28 18:46:15 (permalink)
    hook i wish you luck! Walleye are tough to fish for on new water for any fisherman. May i suggest you try a baitshop for where and how to rig for them. I would imagine in deeper water 12' or more to use a glow in the dark slip float to keep your worm, leech or whichever live bait is recommended just off the bottom. Walleye will probably seek deeper channels during these warmer days.   I am using light tackle i use for trout and 4lb and 6lb mono.. i like using those expensive battery powered light bobbers when i'm sure about a snag free hole. Also on a lake i would imagine a lattern light is okay.. but from my experience.. no light is better on the water once you locate a hot spot.. i use an led headlamp and keep an extra in my softtackle should i need an emergency light too. good luck should you go to goodyear lake. By the way, anyone hear of sturgeon pond on the wallkill?.. that is suppose to have marble eye and is very deep too!
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Goodyear Lake 2007/06/28 19:53:44 (permalink)
    Well, plans got nixed.  I need to catch up on work this weekend to get some customers off my back. I'll just have to hit the Mohawk for a bit.

Back, I've never heard of Sturgeon Pond, but have heard of Lake Sturgeon. Not sure where it is.

This has been a pretty poor fishing year for me so far. Still kind of a newlywed, and a young tot to care for, I haven't had any real time to focus on fishing. And being new to this area, I need extra time to figure out new terrain.

And yes, Walleye are much better eating than trout. Both are equally fun to catch.
    Jump to: