NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
  • Reward points: 0
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/22 19:55:04 (permalink)
I know, I have started feeding them a little bit at a time. I'm guessing a gallon jugs worth every night, I don't put out more if they don't come. I understand it would be a shock for their system but wouldn't want to claim baiting during the season because I hunt nearby frequently.
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/23 00:45:28 (permalink)
apparently we need to start a Roast Dr trout thread. instead of running of the target of all threads.
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/23 00:59:44 (permalink)
Do you think it is deserved or just piling on?
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/23 12:27:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

I tried both white and red clover in part of my already established yard right after snow melt and got a few patches but not enough to be worthwhile. Actually looks odd the way it came up. I tried some whitetail clover in a field next to the house that was planted in clover 7-8 years ago but had reverted back to weeds with the same results. However, I over seeded a small plot of year old skimpy landino clover just before snow melt and it came up real well. All three places had been limed and fertlized before hand. I thought the grass/weeds in the yard and field would protect the clover until it got started but I now think it just shaded it out. The skimpy spot didn't have any weeds in it. I don't hunt over them (my choice) but it keeps a few critters around to watch.

Interesting S-10.
I'm suprised the clover didn't take off after mowing(your yard).  Possibly aerating your yard would've helped with the clover?
I'd like to look into this more.  Thanks again.

Ironhed
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/23 13:21:17 (permalink)
The deer sure are pounding the brouse I cut down evryday...They are coming in at night and eating all the Hard Maple buds off of the tops....
Snow is at least 3 feet deep in the woods up in lower NY...
Those poor deer got it tough this winter....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Ironhed
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/23 23:56:12 (permalink)
"Now, comparing hunting standing oaks is also at opposite ends of the "intent" spectrum to hunting food plots.  A hunter hunting over oaks is adapting to the deer, hunting over plots is having the deer adapt to you."

'Kype,
I gotta ask...
What's your opinion on driving deer?  Not the tractors.

Ironhed
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/26 08:22:22 (permalink)
I don't have a problem with it hed, just as I wouldn't have a problem hunting over food plots.    The 'intent' remains the same -- deer are adapting to you.   For myself, killing a deer on a drive (intentional or unintentional) is certainly a lesser accomplishment.   I have done it, and have my own reservations on personal rewards.  Some hunters look at a dead deer as just that, a dead deer -- and there's nothing wrong with that.  I however, do not -- and consider the 'how', 'why', and 'WHERE' to be an important factor.  

You're right, I have been around here a long time -- and I knew you wouldn't be able to let this go.  It shouldn't matter what I think hed.  I just gotta ask .. WHY do you hunt deer ?

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/26 11:39:46 (permalink)
Sounds good Kype.

The reasons I hunt deer?
To harvest an animal.  All the other things are fine and dandy, i.e., being outdoors, sights and sounds,  comraderie, etc. but the bottom line is I am there to take a deer.  I am not one to sugarcoat.
To me hunting is an instinct...not a sport.  Same goes for fishing.

And you?

Ironhed
Ironhed
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/26 11:42:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Ironhed

Sounds good Kype.

The reasons I hunt deer?
To harvest an animal.  All the other things are fine and dandy, i.e., being outdoors, sights and sounds,  comraderie, etc. but the bottom line is I am there to take a deer.  If things don't work out I'll try again, and again and again.  I am not one to sugarcoat.

To me hunting is an instinct...not a sport.  Same goes for fishing.

And you?

Ironhed

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/26 12:01:07 (permalink)
Because that's what predators do .. my eyes are afixed on the front of my head.

Ironhed
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/26 12:07:45 (permalink)
lol
I like it!

Ironhed
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/26 12:38:33 (permalink)
It's often a line I use when talking to non hunters -- anti's, if they'll listen -- not often.

They don't seem to understand how or why someone could kill an animal.

I say because our eyes are afixed on the front of our head, we are predators .. bears .. eagles ...  etc..  eyes on front of the head are to focus on prey.

The flipside -- eyes on the side are to identify predators.  Deer ... turkeys...   even horses.    Prey species.

Everyone person on this earth at some point has been a predator.  A young kid will give chase to another kid, only if the other kid runs.    That's the predator instinct.   Playing 'monster' with a young child  -- predator instinct.  A lot of people, even hunters, fail to understand why some hunters consider hunting an instinct.

The folks who choose not to use their predator instinct throughout their lives, are just caged-up eagles at an attempt to willingly be domesticated.  It'd be interesting to speed up evolution, and see perhaps someday if humans will become the hunted, and eventually adopt the eye position of today's prey.

I would encourage to the hunting community to go and do as much breeding as possible to pass on the genetics of being the strong predators of our population.     I do not want my great (x1,000,000) grandchildren to have eyes on the sides of their heads.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/30 11:27:45 (permalink)
I see the NRA is trying to take over the bowhunting only counties in West Virgina.

But, it's bowhunters they are selfish and doing all the hunter separation. 

nightowl207
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 567
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/30 19:34:09 (permalink)
I know a few people whos mama drank a little too much while carrying them in the oven, their eyes were on the side of their head. Wonder if that has to do with predator/prey genetics? 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: