NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
  • Reward points: 0
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/19 22:47:50 (permalink)
BULL****!!!!!

You just aren't any good anymore(or ever were), consider yourself told as such. S-10 is just as old as you and he doesn't give in to your easy ways. He is a hunter in my book, unlike you.

You on one hand want baiting and crossbows because they can be cocked indefinately. But on the other hand you come down on a real BOWHUNTER for using a treestand, call, deer lure, or scent-lok(I can't afford it).

The irony is palpable. I'll take MuskyMastr's advice and no longer attack you as a hunter because we all need to stick together. You must look at what you are proposing and think deeply on it for the future when you are no longer here. I have gone back to what you so highly revere, probably will have a heck of a time getting a buck on the ground with a recurve, but I'll try. You will lobby for a much easier way......
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/19 23:09:48 (permalink)
I'm not coming down on anyone.. you guys put words in my post that are not there..... at BEST I'm saying deer hunting is easier today than it ever was.. not as challenging... and pointed out why I think that way...

If someone wants to post why they think it is still as challenging fine.... I'll repsect their reasons and in fact look forward to see if any are even posted....

I'm asking what is so challenging about modern day deer hunting with all the improvements over the past 20 years.... and as expected from you....you did NOTHING to show or tell how it is still challenging..

just started off with a cuss and bash....

rollcaster
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1091
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/19 23:26:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

If someone wants to post why they think it is still as challenging fine.... I'll repsect their reasons and in fact look forward to see if any are even posted....

LESS DEER
gobyking
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/19 23:26:40 (permalink)

One last point..

I do see one thing that many of today's deer hunters do that is challenging.....

They put all this pressure on themselves to get a BIG buck... no scrubs.. has to be 8 or better etc.... and that is the only challenge.... it's not a challenge of getting a deer or deer hunting as such.. it's an ego thing.... 

It has gotten so easy to just get a deer they do this to make it challenging..
see how so many are willing to pass on deer  for the challenge of a bigger one.... again not a challenge of deer hunting.. it's the ego thing about a big one or the biggest one...

in my day it was a challenge to find and get even a spike ....

I'm done on this one

Don't you know that in the western part of the state we can only shoot a buck 4 points to one side now???

Thus, an 8 point is really a possibility. Don't give us your sob stories of spikes, I saw a lot of them too back then, but chose to let them walk.
nightowl207
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 567
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 00:13:42 (permalink)

You are right I do not "get" where guys can continue to talk about the challenge of deer hunting...

When I started you had a rifle of some sort.. usually just one..
almost all the weapons were more primitive....

open sights on rifles no scopes to use at 300 yards..... no compounds... no cover scents.. no sex lures.. no portable tree stands.. no decoys.... no rattling.. no grunt calls... no bleat calls...if you were on private land and LUCKY you were allowed to build a wooden tree stand... no range finders... no food plots planted to attract deer... you just had food sources in the woods and farm crops to rely on.. and a couple years there were ARs and no doe hunting in there too........

TALK ABOUT CHALLENGING !!!!

Today's methods of deer hunting are more modern and more technical... but are  IMHO no where near as challenging as the old days... it is eaiser now than ever to harvest a deer if you are in an area that has deer

If a deer can not see you, smell you, and you can sit all day so he can not hear you moving around... you can also "call" to him making him think it is hot doe...  you can put a decoy out to even make him think he sees another deer...  etc etc etc

GO ahead bash away guys --- I know you will.. but please do not accuse me of being anti-hunting.... I AM NOT...

I still enjoying deer hunting.. it's just to bad so many of you were not hunting when it really was challenging.... but as I said time goes on and in the case of hunting all the new "stuff" just makes it less and less challenging and more and more easy to get in a positon to harvest a deer.....

but remember you just read how it WAS ALOT MORE challenging in my day now it is obviously easier. compared to then.. 

let's just hear why you think it is STILL challenging....

and BASH away ---  viewers need a good laugh at my expense....

Most of us still hunt that way. Ive dont use any of those gimmick products. Ive tried em and have had no success with them. Its all about making money pretending your making a product that will make you more successful. I had deer catch wind of me at 50yrds with scent bloker and cover on, and Ive have deer downwind from me 20yrds without any cover on and they never caught scent of me. Its like doctors giving sugar pills.
In a previous post you stated that 80% of deer are killed anyway so why shouldnt we hunt over bait. Thats a horrible mentality. Thats the same mentality poachers have! "well, someone else will kill it anyway later, so what makes a difference if I do it now". If your a true hunter, hunting is about respecting and giving the animal a sporting chance.
nightowl207
Expert Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 01:16:35 (permalink)
    One more reason why hunting is just as difficult or more today is the increased pressure on deer. After the first day rifle the deer bed down for weeks and turn nocturnal (game commission survey of last year was 80% of deer harvested were harvested on the first day). You have slim chance to get any if you dont have people to drive them out of their beds, still hunt, or track them to their beds. Even then, still hunting and tracking is very difficult to harvest a deer, even for a very skilled still hunter and tracker. There used to be a lot more habitat for the deer to come from and go to, to relieve their panic and pressure.
 I consider myself a dedicated avid hunter. I was working to much during the fall to get to archery hunt this year (which is my best season) ,but I had the opportunity and time off this winter to hunt EVERYDAY, from dawn to dusk, of rifle season and muzzleloader (used crossbow for all muzzleloader season). And as I type right now I have every tag in my licence pouch. I only got a shot at one buck and it was a dandy, would have been my biggest, but unfortunitly it took the bullet n run and out smarted my tracking ability without snow or soft ground. First deer Ive ever shot at and not harvested (and lost sleep over). Hopefully he healed from the wound and will be around to breed with some does next year. If hunting is so easy nowadays why do I have all my tags, why do most of the members of my little hunting group still have their tags, and WHY DO YOU only ever harvest a doe a year?! 
post edited by nightowl207 - 2009/01/20 01:26:54
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 07:13:22 (permalink)
Guess if you don't hunt or killbucks you NEVER will understand just how challenging it is....

Some people in life set their goals(doe only) low enough they can always acheive them with little or no effort..

While others set their goals much higher(big rack) so they have something to strive for and makes the hunt MORE of a challenge...

When you have killed a mature buck with your bow Doc then mabee you can give some insight...Until then all you have is speculation and stories you here from hunters you sell cigarettes and pop to...Almost as good as bar talk for accuracy.....

Only challenge from days of yore was getting a doe tag...
post edited by bingsbaits - 2009/01/20 07:14:53

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 09:22:54 (permalink)
Less deer.... I forgot about that.. and you are correct... with fewer deer it does make it a challenge fpor those that can't find the deer.... BUT look at how many guys are not willing to take that challenge and are whinnning about not enough deer.... stop shooting does... let the herd build back up again... doesn't sound like they want the challenge ????

It's comforting to see how many claim to still hunt in a more traditional (older) way without all the modern trinkets to make it easier... hats off to ya guys...

Bings did as expect write something that is not true....
Guess if you don't hunt or killbucks you NEVER will understand just how challenging it is....

It has nothing to do with challenge of deer hunting.. I do not go into those thicket, steep places because of age and terrain... has nothing to do with challenges of hunting deer... the guys down in the hollow are doing just fine at finding bucks....... walking down and up into that hollow is not a challenge to them.. they're young... so maybe for us old guys there is also a challenge in getting to the place you want to hunt....

YEP 4 wheelers took away some of that challenge on private land too...

As I have said before ..I hunt public land.. not like many who harvest bucks year after year on leases and private property that not everyone has permission to hunt on... and I average a buck every three years... and most hunters I talk to say that is pretty good average for public hunting in the north/central region... MANY of you privtate land lhunters just do not agree with that because you don't hunt those places 90% of the time and prefer to hunt where there is less competition.. and competition is challenging.... many hunt private land because there are less other hunters.. and in many cases there are more deer there  ----- less hunters and more deer equals less challenging in my book.........

But at least you went on to say that setting the goal for a BIG buck is what makes it challenging to you... and just as I said --  many set a goal of a big buck to make it challenging..... it's to easy to shoot a smaller one where they hunt.......

giving the animal a sporting chance.

If the animal can't see you very good, can't hear you very good, or smell you very good how is that giving him a sportin chance ??????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/01/20 09:26:00
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 09:43:11 (permalink)
Doc--Correct me if I'am wrong but on another thread discussing deer you said you have killed a total of seven bucks, a 7point was your largest, and you have not taken a buck since HR/AR. Now you average a buck every three years and don't shoot button bucks. ??????????
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 10:58:17 (permalink)

"If that's the case then why do you go to the time, work, and expense to do it year after year. Why is there a multi-million dollar industry just to support it.  Of course it is easier, just as killing a deer with a crossbow is easier than with a compound. If it wasn't easier or better no one would be doing either. It's just not guaranteed."

Simply because it is another "hobby" on top of my bowhunting obsession.
You're **** right it's not guaranteed.  Like you, I hunted every single day and was unable to connect this year on a mature deer.  I did see you connected on a super mature OH buck though.  I never saw one(mature buck) in a plot all season.  It's no different than hunting over a bean, corn, alfalfa, etc. field.  I suppose you have never hunted any of those areas?  Standing oaks?  Come on man.
It is also supplemental.  You think others don't benefit from our sweat, time and money?  Especially the guys that hunt 1-2 days a year and call themselves hunters?

And Doc, about this private vs public bull****.  It is absolutely ridiculous that folks on a hunting board feel as if they should tip-toe around this subject.  You degrade people because of it.
I hunt strictly private land and I am **** proud of it.  I made a great relationship with the landowner and he is now my best friend. 
If you want to use that as a tool in an arguement for lack of success/deer sightings/no sign...go right ahead.  You are the dumbass, not me.  And you think simply because the land is private that makes it easier? LOL  You watch too much hunting tv.
If you had access to a piece of primo land, you'd be all over it too.
And you want to legalize baiting...un effin real!

I'm sorry you guys don't have the deer you once did.  You shouldn't have shot them all.

Oh, by the way, deer season didn't just end...it just began.  Thats deer hunting to me.

Ironhed
post edited by Ironhed - 2009/01/20 11:02:18
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 12:27:51 (permalink)
When it comes to private versus public property deer, it's all about pressure, not ownership.

Just this year, I saw the greatest example of unpressured deer on a highly pressured state forest.  I hunted the most silly spot I could find.  Infact, I almost left because I felt like an idiot.  I stuck it out and had three doe and a BB come to me as careless as they could be.  Their walk was constant, and stopped only when browsing.   That's the first I've ever seen that on public land where I hunt.  Those deer couldn't have seen a person all year .. and based on where they were at (not deep in the woods but a silly place), they may have never seen a human being in their life.  I don't think pressure can alter genetic make-up, so an unpressured deer is an unpressured deer, no matter where they are.  Same with pressured.  I suppose it's possible a pressured deer is taught differently when they are young but I don't think deer understand posted signs.

I have access to highly posted property.  The deer are at opposite ends of the spectrum depending where on the property I hunt.  The deer at the end of the property that is against SGL are extremely pressured and act completely different than the ones that are surrounded by private property, that are unpressured.  The unpressured deer, even the older ones, are quite dumb compared to even the young pressured deer.  The difference is actually laughable.  The property is unique in that the pressured deer bed on private property, yet go to the fields through public property.  The unpressured deer stay in the bottoms and don't get pressure at all.

Now, comparing hunting standing oaks is also at opposite ends of the "intent" spectrum to hunting food plots.  A hunter hunting over oaks is adapting to the deer, hunting over plots is having the deer adapt to you.  I understand you have trouble accepting it and understand why but it's the truth.    Hunting deer headed to standing corn versus plots is a better comparison than oaks to plots.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 12:38:48 (permalink)
Accurate post IMO Silver.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 13:01:55 (permalink)
Doc

Why do you want baiting leglalized ?

For the record, about 1/4 of the hunting population want baiting legalized.

nightowl207
Expert Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 13:08:09 (permalink)
i agree also, to silvers post.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 18:45:38 (permalink)
surveys I have seen have more than 25% in favor of baiting... I guess it depends on what survey you are looking at or what newspaper article you are reading...

gheezz.. one more time....

I have harvested 7 bucks since I MOVED HERE....  that was 21 years ago  so as I posted that's averaging 1 every 3 years...

I have never posted exactly how many deer I have shot since I started hunting... just that I average a buck every 3 years and a doe every year

please read what I post before replying....
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 19:00:05 (permalink)
Why I favor baiting...

I have seen studies that show baitng does not do what everyone thinks it will do...  increase kill.... most of the activity at a bait pile is during the night for one thing...

With less and less hunters pushing deer on public land I feel MAYBE allowing baiting will posssibly present an opportuntiy for a hunter to harvest a deer, I know TONS of guys who bait their private property... and so does the local WCO.. he "busted" quite a few this year around here...

Will baiting increase a hunters' chances.. I am not sure.. studies seem to say it doesn't... but they are allowing it now in some areas and should take the results and think about doing it even if just temporarily for other areas of the state.

I have also read that guys that are doing it in those SRA are saying it is NOT producing the results they thought it would...

I'm up for ALMOST anything that will increase the odds for a harvest since we now have fewer deer  and so many disgruntled deer hunters......

It has nothing to do with wanting to shoot a deer at the pile .. in fact not even sure I would hunt over bait if it were legal... I still have my Hemlock Grove....  But I don't have to do something just because I support the idea or it is legal to do...

for eaxmple.. I support any and all opportunities for muzzleloaders and have never even held a muzzleloader.........

and as for long range shooting with a crossbow... I'm not that type of hunter.. I would still put limits on my range depending on my abilities.....

nightowl207
Expert Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/20 23:48:20 (permalink)
Here is a quote from your last post:
"I'm up for ALMOST anything that will increase the odds for a harvest since we now have fewer deer  and so many disgruntled deer hunters......"

Then here are posts, from you, from the last page, on the same topic:
"I do not "get" where guys can continue to talk about the challenge of deer hunting..."

"just trying to show how deer hunting has become much less challenging and almost easy...."

"Just trying to see why everyone thinks deer hunting is so hard and challenging"

"it is eaiser now than ever to harvest a deer"

"it's just to bad so many of you were not hunting when it really was challenging.... but as I said time goes on and in the case of hunting all the new "stuff" just makes it less and less challenging and more and more easy to get in a positon to harvest a deer..... "

"it WAS ALOT MORE challenging in my day now it is obviously easier."

"let's just hear why you think it is STILL challenging...."

You seem to mean well Doc, but you cant even post 1 single post without contradicting yourself. Can you not help but be a hippocrit? Im not bashing, Im trying to help. If you want anyone to believe anything you ever say, you can say one thing then turn around in the next sentence and say the exact opposite of what you just proclaimed so sturnly.

Here is another example:
" baitng does not do what everyone thinks it will do...  increase kill"

Then in the NEXT SENTENCE:
"allowing baiting will posssibly present an opportuntiy for a hunter to harvest a deer"

First you tell how baiting will not effect harvesting at all, (But you think it should be legalized confusing), Then you say how you believe it will create more opportunity to harvest a deer.
Well............Do you or dont you think it will create a higher harvest chance!!!!???
Then in the first quotes i put up..... On your last post you say you up for anything that will increase your odds of harvesting, since there are less deer and so many more hunters (SAYING HUNTING IS A CHALLENGE and your up for anything to increase your odds) Then In the last page on the same topic you have a full speech about how hunting deer is so easy, and there is very little challenge to harvest a deer.
WELL..............Is harvesting a deer nowdays to challenging that we need to increase our odds by baiting.......or is it so easy that we should just bait for the hell of it??? You confuse the hell out of me. In every single post Ive read of yours over the years have been like this.
post edited by nightowl207 - 2009/01/20 23:49:46
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/21 08:29:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: nightowl207

Here is a quote from your last post:
"I'm up for ALMOST anything that will increase the odds for a harvest since we now have fewer deer  and so many disgruntled deer hunters......"

Then here are posts, from you, from the last page, on the same topic:
"I do not "get" where guys can continue to talk about the challenge of deer hunting..."

"just trying to show how deer hunting has become much less challenging and almost easy...."

"Just trying to see why everyone thinks deer hunting is so hard and challenging"

"it is eaiser now than ever to harvest a deer"

"it's just to bad so many of you were not hunting when it really was challenging.... but as I said time goes on and in the case of hunting all the new "stuff" just makes it less and less challenging and more and more easy to get in a positon to harvest a deer..... "

"it WAS ALOT MORE challenging in my day now it is obviously easier."

"let's just hear why you think it is STILL challenging...."

You seem to mean well Doc, but you cant even post 1 single post without contradicting yourself. Can you not help but be a hippocrit? Im not bashing, Im trying to help. If you want anyone to believe anything you ever say, you can say one thing then turn around in the next sentence and say the exact opposite of what you just proclaimed so sturnly.

Here is another example:
" baitng does not do what everyone thinks it will do...  increase kill"

Then in the NEXT SENTENCE:
"allowing baiting will posssibly present an opportuntiy for a hunter to harvest a deer"

First you tell how baiting will not effect harvesting at all, (But you think it should be legalized confusing), Then you say how you believe it will create more opportunity to harvest a deer.
Well............Do you or dont you think it will create a higher harvest chance!!!!???
Then in the first quotes i put up..... On your last post you say you up for anything that will increase your odds of harvesting, since there are less deer and so many more hunters (SAYING HUNTING IS A CHALLENGE and your up for anything to increase your odds) Then In the last page on the same topic you have a full speech about how hunting deer is so easy, and there is very little challenge to harvest a deer.
WELL..............Is harvesting a deer nowdays to challenging that we need to increase our odds by baiting.......or is it so easy that we should just bait for the hell of it??? You confuse the hell out of me. In every single post Ive read of yours over the years have been like this.

Welcome to our world.....Doctor Spin strikes again....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/21 08:59:31 (permalink)
I would say the effectiveness of baiting would depend largely on other available food sources within a given year.

I'm a firm believer in hunting the deer their way, not mine.  I've got some serious issues with baiting.  I think it's selfish because you can jeopardize the deer's health, not to mention the other animals health.  Larger scale baiting can create predation issues and overbrowsing.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/21 09:18:10 (permalink)
Sorry so many of you guys can't read words that I write..

some of the comments were referring to other states and the baiting issue there.... GHEEEZZZZZ...NOT PA.....

you seem to have to add your THOUGHTS in between the words.... or at least that's what it appears to me to be happening on all my post...

time to take the ball and go home....
I have better things to do than try to present the "other side" to you guys here...............

Thanks to those that did respond with their thoughts and opinions without the bashing... and to those that actually answered questions I asked.. even though that was rare...

I'll just let this board slip back to just the basher bashing each other.....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/01/21 09:21:33
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/21 10:58:38 (permalink)
You bring it on yourself doc.

On one post you say you would turn in your brother if he was breaking the law
On another post you say you know TONS of people who bait and the PGC knows and has arrested a few in your area. Seems like they should have arrested TONS unless you just turn in your brother and those you don't like.

You claim to be trying to be the voice of reason just presenting the facts on most posts then post this--

TO BAD in my opinion... when the idea of crossbows first appeared I'd have been happy with a week in November.... but now .. I write often and state I want FULL INCULSION... and if we do not get it ... they can add me to the anti-PGC list.......

what goes around comes around...
rollcaster
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1091
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/21 12:17:08 (permalink)

He'll be back.

nightowl207
Expert Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/21 12:54:33 (permalink)
Is it or isnt what you say Doc. Dont dance around like Richard Simmons on what you were called out on, to make it look like everyone else is the bad guy. Admit you were (like Bush wouldve said) a flip flopper,lol. Then straighten out on what your views are, and stick to that view. Otherwise your just flooding the boards with pointless nonsense.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/21 15:35:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

When it comes to private versus public property deer, it's all about pressure, not ownership.

Just this year, I saw the greatest example of unpressured deer on a highly pressured state forest.  I hunted the most silly spot I could find.  Infact, I almost left because I felt like an idiot.  I stuck it out and had three doe and a BB come to me as careless as they could be.  Their walk was constant, and stopped only when browsing.   That's the first I've ever seen that on public land where I hunt.  Those deer couldn't have seen a person all year .. and based on where they were at (not deep in the woods but a silly place), they may have never seen a human being in their life.  I don't think pressure can alter genetic make-up, so an unpressured deer is an unpressured deer, no matter where they are.  Same with pressured.  I suppose it's possible a pressured deer is taught differently when they are young but I don't think deer understand posted signs.

I have access to highly posted property.  The deer are at opposite ends of the spectrum depending where on the property I hunt.  The deer at the end of the property that is against SGL are extremely pressured and act completely different than the ones that are surrounded by private property, that are unpressured.  The unpressured deer, even the older ones, are quite dumb compared to even the young pressured deer.  The difference is actually laughable.  The property is unique in that the pressured deer bed on private property, yet go to the fields through public property.  The unpressured deer stay in the bottoms and don't get pressure at all.

Now, comparing hunting standing oaks is also at opposite ends of the "intent" spectrum to hunting food plots.  A hunter hunting over oaks is adapting to the deer, hunting over plots is having the deer adapt to you.  I understand you have trouble accepting it and understand why but it's the truth.    Hunting deer headed to standing corn versus plots is a better comparison than oaks to plots.

Kype,
Good post. 
I somewhat agree with you and this subject could be a whole other thread.
I've witnessed the same and the exact opposite hence me using the word "somewhat".  IMO, it's purely coincidental.

The reason for my above post is the always negative tone that some members(specifically one) use when it comes to the subject of private vs. public.
And that negative tone always seems to be used when it favors someone's thoughts.

You've been around here a looooong time.  I hope you understand.

On a side note...deer hunting is on my mind 365 days a year.  Deer hunting(and fishing) are my passion.  And to help you(all) understand my seriousness, I have adjusted my career, my lifestyle, my location in order to fullfill this "instinct" that I hold dear so much.
It really kicks my****to see us(sportsman) bickering back and forth about these issues/subjects when we should ALL have each others backs and find compromise.

Ironhed
post edited by Ironhed - 2009/01/21 15:38:06
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3461
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/21 15:47:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Ironhed
It really kicks my****to see us(sportsman) bickering back and forth about these issues/subjects when we should ALL have each others backs and find compromise.

Ironhed

Right on !!!

My rifle is a black rifle
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/21 15:53:12 (permalink)
Hed--- On a side note, do you frost seed, if so, on the snow and let it melt or just after snow melt? What is your opinion of the amount of growth you get? I've tried it right next to the house with mixed results.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/21 16:02:06 (permalink)
S-10,
I've heard of it but my buddy has never tried it. 
I should say that my buddy(landowner) does all of the planting cuz he's probably reading this.  He does the planting and is very, very knowledgeable when it comes to crops.  I'll ask him what he knows, if that would help ya.
What kind of results did you get?  Did amount of snow/frost seem to make a difference in your results?  Temp?  Time of winter/spring?
Oh boy...I see myself surfing the internet late tonight on this subject...Thanks S-10!

Ironhed
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/21 16:29:44 (permalink)
I tried both white and red clover in part of my already established yard right after snow melt and got a few patches but not enough to be worthwhile. Actually looks odd the way it came up. I tried some whitetail clover in a field next to the house that was planted in clover 7-8 years ago but had reverted back to weeds with the same results. However, I over seeded a small plot of year old skimpy landino clover just before snow melt and it came up real well. All three places had been limed and fertlized before hand. I thought the grass/weeds in the yard and field would protect the clover until it got started but I now think it just shaded it out. The skimpy spot didn't have any weeds in it. I don't hunt over them (my choice) but it keeps a few critters around to watch.
gobyking
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/22 19:29:52 (permalink)
Just bought 200# of horse feed for my deer, yep MINE. They are having a tough time with the snow right now and I would like to see a few of them have twins like they did the last two years. I feel that I am helping them through the winter and witness good coats with shine in the last couple years. I continue this until buds start to sprout on the brush. Better to get 2 fawns out of one than to possibly get none at all.

Had 2 last night already in the yard feeding. Also, the horse feed has molasses,corn chips,and a lot of other stuff that are good protein for deer. No one can tell me it is wrong as the PGC states in the book, I have seen the results if you keep up with it and don't quit. I spent around $600 in both of the last two years.

PS Doc I don't hunt over it like you would want to!
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: NRA supporting X-bow expansion in Pa. 2009/01/22 19:44:43 (permalink)
Your actually starting a bit late Goby. Their digestive system probably has already changed over to winter feed. I would go easy on the feed for awhile until they get used to it. Kind of like feeding your horse old hay all winter and then turning him loose in May in a field of green grass. Usually not a good thing. I put small amounts of my feed out right after rifle season and increase it slowly. My 2 cents
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: