Looking For A Center Pin

Author
SteelieWheelie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 991
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/11 20:48:53 (permalink)

Looking For A Center Pin

It happend..I want to start center-pinning..i have a 9 ft cortland rod..but i need a reel and line of some sort..any help would be highly apreciated about what to buy/do

Early to bed
Early to rise
Fish like hell
And make up lies!

11 Replies Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Looking For A Center Pin 2009/01/11 21:58:14 (permalink)
    How much you looking to spend??  Everyone seems to rave about raven reels which are $250 to $300 range, never heard a bad thing about them.  As far as higher end reels are milners and your looking in the $500+ range.  Mid to upper range are the islander which would be tough to beat, if i buy a 3rd one this is what it will be.  I fish a G loomis which isn't manufactured anymore and its a nice reel and my other is a Ross Flow and its also a nice reel but it balances out a lighter rod alot better than a heavy one.  My fishing buddy fishes a Okuma sheffield and for the money its light and smooth and under $200, nice reel ive fished it a few times and liked it alot.  Really not many moving parts to break on any of the reels other than bearings so if the reels balanced and spins freely it will last a lifetime.... My 2 cents..

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Looking For A Center Pin 2009/01/11 22:08:42 (permalink)
    My next reel will either be a paine falls or a king pin but those are both high end so it'll be a while
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Looking For A Center Pin 2009/01/11 22:17:14 (permalink)
    buy a longer rod....
    if you slap a pin on that 9 footer you will automatically want a rod with some more length.  i have a 13' st croix wild river that i feel is  optimum,  but it alone is around 200-250 i think.
    if you're looking for a cheaper rod, i know gander mtn. in erie has 11' 6 steelhead noodle rods that work just fine for erie, for just 50 bucks, and you get a no questions asked lifetime warranty.
    fish usa does not have a rod of that length for that sort of price, although they may have some good deals..

i know gander mtn has this deal because i was recently leaving 20 mile, on the first day of a 4 day fishing excursion, when i convieniently slammed by st croix in the door.  thus, i had no choice but look for the longest cheapest rod in erie.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Looking For A Center Pin 2009/01/11 23:22:08 (permalink)
    I have a Raven SST (Ti color) and a custom 11'6" Rainshadow that I am looking to sell.  Shoot me a PM if interested.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Looking For A Center Pin 2009/01/12 00:09:52 (permalink)
    Ill back dru up on that one.  Currently fishing a 9 footer and the moment i casted with the exact rod he posted about I could feel an immediate difference... much smoother, longer distance, and most importantly... easier for a beginner, especially if you are having trouble with your casting mechanics. 
    fishbreath
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Looking For A Center Pin 2009/01/12 16:28:54 (permalink)
    There are a lot of good reels out there, and you get what you pay for. If I was just starting out I'd probably go with a low end Raven, you get a lot of bang for the buck, they have good resale if you later want to upgrade, but you can stick with one for years.
    You're going to get unhappy fast with the 9 foot Cortland. Most good pinners use 13 foot rods. It's not that you're trying for a long cast, but rather you need a long rod to protect the light line and even lighter leader you will find yourself using; a 9 footer isn't going to do that very well. You will find that you are able to land smaller fish with a shorter rod, but a fish with shoulders is going to break you off most of the time. It's no fun losing all of your big fish. Also there is a lot of unhappiness with Cortland float rods. They were selling 13 foot rods for something like $150 a year or two ago, but they broke too often to the point where dealers were dumping them at big markdowns for an already inexpensive rod. Look at Ravens or even Okumas, which also break too often. Wherever you buy your rod, ask what the warranty and return policy is. Do you have to send it back to the distributor for them to decide, or can your neighborhood guy give you a replacement on the spot (highly unlikely). I think FishErie is closing out 13 foot Loomis Canada/Frontier rods at present. I fished with one of those for years, it's built like a tank, but it is a stout 2 piece hard action stick. Might be worth looking into.. Regarding warranties: the better the rod, the better the warranty, and the less likely you are to ever need it.
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Looking For A Center Pin 2009/01/12 18:37:07 (permalink)
    i'd take a serious look at the okuma-sheffield reel too.
    i believe it's a little cheaper than the ravens and its a solid reel, you're paying 150 or so for that reel and i think it's worth about double that

fish usa has them.
    rureadytofish
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Looking For A Center Pin 2009/01/12 20:10:03 (permalink)
    First question to ask yourself is How much am I going to use this rod? When I started, I used it only in New York then I loved it so much that I use it everywhere now. All the mentioned reels are great. I used many and I think they all suffice for our local fishing. Buy what your budget allows. Upgrade later.  The big thing is to get one and get used to it. Use it all the time. As far as rods go, You do not need a 13 foot rod for fishing erie tribs. A 9 footer may be a little short, but it will definitely work. I use an 8 foot ultralight on central PA streams. It works fine!!! In erie I use a 13 footer because I took the plunge and you're never really happy. The first year I owned the pin, I used it on my 10 foot noodle rod in Erie. I still do on occasion. Check out the dood with the sst and the 11'6 St Croix. That is a sweet erie setup. PM Rodman, he uses that same combo. I've used his and it's great.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Looking For A Center Pin 2009/01/12 20:25:04 (permalink)
    Definatley cant go wrong with the sst and st croix rod. Only thing about the st. croix I feel it is a little on the heavy side, otherwise great rod. Thats the exact setup that I run.
    SteelieWheelie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 991
    RE: Looking For A Center Pin 2009/01/12 21:17:22 (permalink)
    i think im going to find a little $150 dollar reel at fish usa..and then probably get an 11 foot rod at gander mountain

Early to bed
    Early to rise
    Fish like hell
    And make up lies!
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Looking For A Center Pin 2009/01/16 17:07:56 (permalink)
    Buy a good reel,only have to buy it once in your life.Spend a little more and get the Okuma-sheffield,way better than the Advent or the raven matrix,I have two and they work great,and have had no issues with them.
    Jump to: