Dry fly styles

Author
Loopy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1437
  • Reward points: 0
2007/03/27 16:34:07 (permalink)

Dry fly styles

It seems every year before trout season really kicks into gear I do a little inventory of my dry fly arsenal.  You know, what patterns worked last year, what ones haven't worked in awhile. etc...  What is everyone's favorite type of pattern?  What works better for you, elk hair caddises or is it downwings?  Do parachutes give you better luck over comparaduns for mayflies, or do you like catskill style dries.  Is tying with simplicity and efficiency more important than cloning the fly to the exact segments on the abdomen?  C'mon guys.  What works best?

<---  The Holy Trinity

13 Replies Related Threads

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/03/27 18:03:45 (permalink)
    Nymphs 
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/03/27 18:06:20 (permalink)
    Sorry couldn't resist....

I think color and size are most important. Tie the wings however you like.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/03/27 18:20:01 (permalink)
    Recently, I have been using a lot of cdc comparaduns. However, I dont necessarily think that they are superior to other dries. I like them mainly because they are quick to tie compared to parachutes etc...

Each year during the peak of hatches, I end up guiding someone who is not catching fish, and truley believes that a more elaborate fly will catch the risers. Usually, all those people need to do is cast better or throw better mends, and they will catch the fish. I think most standard dryfly patterns work equally well when used in the correct size/color, and situations. In other words, if you fish them the right way, they'll all work.

I dont often use parachutes in riffles, because they will tend to get soaked and start sinking faster than a catskill style dun. I usually tie all my small flys (#18-24) parachute style with a bright indicator, so can see them better.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/03/27 18:29:19 (permalink)
    Loopy,
     Through the many years of observing, taking into account size, pattern, and rise form, I have come to only one conclusion:
     The fly hanging from my line seems to work better than the fly hanging from your line.

Gone Fishing
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/03/27 18:31:21 (permalink)
    I remember a few years ago everything I tied had cdc incorporated into it.  I've actually gone back to catskill dries just for the fact they're a little more durable.  It's usually one and done with cdc's.  Well, at least until they dry.  Although I still use the cdc's for the fact you can crank em' out pretty quick, and they float nicely in the film.  I've never really given comparaduns  fair shake.  i think this year i will try them during the sulphur hatch a little more.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/03/27 20:54:57 (permalink)
    Elk Hair Caddis is hard to beat, especially this time of year.
    Flat winged Stone flies.
    As for mayfly forms I go Catskill, or Marrinaro (Thorax).
    I don't get too concerned about the exact color. I feel the two most important things are size and presentation.

Lyrical
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/03/27 21:51:49 (permalink)
    Loopy,

Your missing out on comparduns, they are fantastic.. I prefer cut/burnt wing catskills or comparduns. I like the cuts in riffles and comparduns in slower water. Comparaduns **** me off when I tie them usually, getn that hair just right sucks.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/03/27 22:09:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dano

Loopy,
    Through the many years of observing, taking into account size, pattern, and rise form, I have come to only one conclusion:
    The fly hanging from my line seems to work better than the fly hanging from your line.

You're right, but just half of the time.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/03/27 22:12:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Loopy,

Your missing out on comparduns, they are fantastic.. I prefer cut/burnt wing catskills or comparduns. I like the cuts in riffles and comparduns in slower water. Comparaduns **** me off when I tie them usually, getn that hair just right sucks.

I have comparaduns in most mayfly hatches in my flybox.  It's just for some reason they never make it to the end of my tippet.  Like I said, i will give em' an honest try this year.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/03/31 20:19:28 (permalink)
    They're more summer time patterns and they are very easy to tie.I like foam bodied hoppers, ants , flying ants and the occasional beetle.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/04/01 09:28:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Loopy,

jlh,

I hate tying them too. I hate it that after awhile the hair starts to push forward when they've been sitting in a fly box or bin. I usually only tie a few each year for specific hatches. Like Drake, more often I've been going to CDC duns

Last year I started to tie Sheck's Spuduns. They are easier to tie than the standard comparadun. Its much easier and quicker for me to tie in the wing this way. They worked great on the march browns last year. The only problem is that you can only effectively tie them in size 16 and larger. Smaller than that, its tough to handle the preclipped hair placement.  

Here's the fly:   http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/120103fotw.html

Gone Fishing
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/04/01 10:29:19 (permalink)
    Dano, knowing you usually tie the night before, I'm sure you probably have to take off from work the day before you fish to tie just a dozen of those beauties.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Dry fly styles 2007/04/01 11:19:27 (permalink)
    While I like the nice splashy takes of the traditional dry fly, lately I have been on a parachute kick.  Klinkhamers have been my newest endeavor.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

Jump to: