Otter's Eye

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/11 10:41:04 (permalink)

Otter's Eye

Below is a pattern using the Otter's Soft Egg material. It is a bit of a twist while tying with the single egg. By using a bead and a translucent egg it gives the look of the "eye" that is found on the natural egg. It works for me and hopefully it will for you too. Sorry about the clarity of the pictures. When finished tying one of these you can stand back and see the "eye" from a distance. Try it out.

Materials:
Hook: Daiichi 1650 size 10 or equiv.
Bead: Wapsi cyclops 3/32" gold plated
Egg: Otters Soft Milking Egg - 6mm Tangerine color
Thread: pink
Veil: Otter's milking veil material

Steps:
1. Start by inserting the bead on a bare hook:

2. Start your thread and wrap the thread in front of and behind the bead locking it in place. The bead should end up just in front of the hook point Approx. halfway down the hook shank.

3. Tie in a very small amount of veil material. The less used is better. Apply super glue over the bead and hook shank. I use the type that comes with a brush making it easier to apply. Slide the single egg over the hook eye, down the shank and center it over the bead. Wrap thread forward, fold the veil material over the egg and tie in. Whip finish and trim.

Again, I don't think the above picture really show the translucency of the egg and the how the "eye" shows through. You do need to use egg colors that are clear though for this to work. Try one out!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

7 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Otter's Eye 2009/01/11 12:45:50 (permalink)
    looks like a good pattern, only thing I would be concerned about is the damage that the bead would do to the egg...how exactly do u get it over without it splitting?  Im an advocate of otter eggs, I just wish they were tougher.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Otter's Eye 2009/01/11 14:46:15 (permalink)
    The egg just slides over and does not split. As far as toughness, I've used these eggs for some time now and can honestly say that I have never had a problem with their durability. I know I've heard that before and perhaps some have had problems but when tied with superglue, they will last as long as any other fly I use. Like you said Loomis, I like using them too.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Otter's Eye 2009/01/11 20:01:38 (permalink)
    def a good idea, plus eliminating the extra need for another piece of shot.  prob killer in clear flows.
    whatsajob614
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Otter's Eye 2009/01/11 22:43:14 (permalink)
    Yup, I nail 'em with those, and so do my buddies. Except I use colored glue in a glue gun, and just glue it right to the hook. (they sell it at craft stores, and I bought mine at Sportsmans Wherehouse). I also stopped putting the bead in. Works just as well without I think. You can use white glo bug material to make the veils as well. Try tying in the veil in the back, wrapping it to the front, and tying it down over the egg. It looks pretty nice as well. I think they call it a nuke egg.
    whatsajob614
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Otter's Eye 2009/01/11 22:44:56 (permalink)
    I've also tied them with the bead off of the hook on the top, looks almost suspended in the egg.
    powerbait_pro
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Otter's Eye 2009/10/22 21:01:50 (permalink)
    Do you use the thread to tie the veil on as well or some other method?
    byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Otter's Eye 2009/10/25 15:50:32 (permalink)
    ive never used otters eggs but they look AWESOME
    Jump to: