advice on a new bow

Author
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/29 18:05:51 (permalink)

advice on a new bow

After a few "pressured" days of rifle hunting, I'm going to bow hunt next season. I'll be looking to purchase a bow around tax time. I'm hoping to get a little advice from you experts on where I should start. Here are a few variables to be considered:
A) I haven't shot a bow in 20yrs. The last time I owned one, we were still shooting finger tabs, and grouping nicely at 40yds.
B) I'm left handed. It's screwed me my whole life when it comes to hunting equipment. I've learned to do everything else right handed, but shooting...no way!
C) I think i need something in the 60lb range. I have a muscle tear in my chest that never healed right, and I don't think i could practice the required time with any more poundage.
D) I will have between 500 and 600 to spend on the entire set up...bow, sights, arrows, etc.

So what do ya'll think? I'm not opposed to buying gently used equipment. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Slick

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...

9 Replies Related Threads

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: advice on a new bow 2008/12/29 20:49:54 (permalink)
    I'm no expert but I will say that the technology has come a long way since you shot last.  Bows are easier to draw these days and 60 pounds is plenty for deer sized animals.  Some advice you are going to get is to try to shoot as many different bows as possible and buy the one that feels best.  While this is sound advice, from a practical standpoint, you are not gonna get many opportunities because not many shops will have left handed bows set up for customers to try.  I know this because I'm left handed.  My bow is 60 pound and shoots quietly and accurately.  But, I didn't try it beforehand because no dealer near me had one set up.  I had to get it on faith.

www.archerytalk.com

This site has a classified section and one subclass on there is "Everything left handed" and in there is a further division, "left handed bows".  You might find a pretty good deal on a used one there.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: advice on a new bow 2008/12/31 09:39:28 (permalink)
    im as well a lefty, i shoot a hoyt, but all the new bows are good for the most part.  since you have some time shop around and look for one that fits.
    BWAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: advice on a new bow 2008/12/31 11:18:18 (permalink)
    I'm right handed in everything but shooting as well (my left eye is way stronger than my right).  I am a college student, so I had a very limited amount of money to spend and ended up buying a Martin combo from dicks 2 years ago for around $300 after Christmas when the new bows started coming in and last seasons went on sale.  While many people would consider this bow to be a piece, it gets the job done just fine for me (4 shots at deer, 3 killed and one miss).  I think it is hard to find any compound made in the last 5 years that will not be sufficient for hunting, but that is just my opinion.  Now is the time to buy new, last season's bows should be going on sale within the next couple of weeks.  Good luck!
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    RE: advice on a new bow 2008/12/31 15:50:03 (permalink)
    Go to a bunch of shops and shoot all of the brands and whichever one feels the best go with it.
    aceboogie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: advice on a new bow 2008/12/31 16:17:36 (permalink)
    the "game over" by Bear offers a nice package deal in your range. quiet and smooth.

"say when..."
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: advice on a new bow 2008/12/31 22:31:36 (permalink)
    I agree with tippy, there are a lot of good bows out there now.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: advice on a new bow 2009/01/01 01:03:31 (permalink)
    Thanx for the responses. All good advice. I will try to shoot a few, but as a lefty, i know my options will be limited. I am thinking of taking my right handed buddy with me, to shoot in front of me with various bows. At least I could watch the action of it and listen to the noise. Thanx again.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: advice on a new bow 2009/01/01 12:06:21 (permalink)
    I agree with everybody that has responded so far.  Shoot as many bows as possible and which ever one shoots the best and feels most comfortable to shoot should help make your selection easier.  The 60 pound draw weight is plenty for deer.  I know a girl who shot a deer 2 seasons ago with a 48 pound draw.  Killed it clean and never had a problem tracking it.  You could have the most high tech and most fancy set up possible, but if you cant hit the broad side of a barn with it, then wut good is it.  Hope this helps and what ever set up you go with, practice, practice, practice.
    wallyeye
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: advice on a new bow 2009/01/01 17:33:45 (permalink)
    you can never go wrong with a parker  www.parkerbows.com
    Jump to: