new here need help

Author
speedstickman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/18 00:09:29 (permalink)

new here need help

Hi just like to know what maybe be a good basic set up for this type of fishing method. Thanks any info be nice.

dont stand to close i don't have my deodorant on today. I might scare your fish.

6 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: new here need help 2008/12/18 01:51:01 (permalink)
    I bought the okuma sheffield reel last spring and to date have been satisfied with it. It was priced at $179 at gander mt. From what i read you can spend anywhere from $110 to $1000 for a reel. There are some cheaper reels listed on ebay from the ukraine but i'm not sure how good they are.

For rods last spring i used a 12 foot crappie rod from gander mt. and it worked fine if you didn't mind the orange tip and crappie rod guides. It was priced at $29.95 and i tried it till i looked at different rods. I currently am using a low priced quantum 13 foot float rod and its adequate. Again you can go anywhere up in the price range you want.  I did see a raven matrix 13 foot, 3 piece rod for sale recently on the steelheader site for somewhere around $100 which i would like to try as the 13 foot, 2 piece rod i have is a pain to travel with in a jeep liberty.

Maybe check questoutdoors.com and flyandfloatfishing.com for more info if you don't get what your looking for here.
    rureadytofish
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: new here need help 2008/12/18 08:23:39 (permalink)
    Get the reel first. If you're fishing smaller water, you can put the reel on almost any rod. I've used mine on anything from a 7' ultralight rod up to and including a 15' float rod. For the first two years that I had my pin, I used it on a plain old 10'6" noodle rod. Reel suggestion, pick one, I've used several and they're all good, just some are a little better than others. The Okuma's are great starter reels, as well as their rods. And I got mine from Fish USA and their service was better than great!!
    speedstickman
    New Angler
    RE: new here need help 2008/12/18 09:05:45 (permalink)
    Thanks alot guys the wife wanted too know what i wanted for Christmas. And i was looking at getting a Rod and reel. I seen a few good guys this fall fishing them and they must have been pro's.

I asked them about their set ups and about the art,looked very fun and difficult.

So i was just wandering what to try without spending top dollar.

Thanks a million.

dont stand to close i don't have my deodorant on today. I might scare your fish.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: new here need help 2008/12/18 12:47:53 (permalink)
    If you need help casting or anything I met a bunch of good guys on here that helped me a out alot. Im sure if you run into any of them or myself on the streams any of us would be more then willing to help or show you some different techniques. I know I learned a lot the first day I fished with Rodman and Mxdad66 they had different styles and techniques and really filled my head with a lot of great info. I still learn from Rodman every time we get out.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: new here need help 2008/12/18 19:08:39 (permalink)
    Speaking of getting out,how about sat?Speedstickman,i have an extra setup,more than happy to let you give it a shot,not as hard as you think.
    speedstickman
    New Angler
    RE: new here need help 2008/12/18 23:05:36 (permalink)
    Thank you kindly for the offer, and would love to take you up on the offer.

But have other things that i have to do. Christmas is fast approaching and have to get it done.

I probably would say i am out till after the first of the year. But thank you so much for your kind offer.

Jump to: