Honey Creek Mifflin County

Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/17 18:13:34 (permalink)

Honey Creek Mifflin County

Hey guys. Any of you ever fish there? Situated in New Lancaster Valley and runs through Reeds Gap State Park. My dads family settled there around 1870 and there are still a few that live there. My aunt lives in the house my Great Grandfather built after his service in the Civil War.
Anyhow I fish it when I get the chance. They stock it with Brookies, and there are wild Browns, and Brookies too.
I have never seen the soarce, but my dad tells me it comes out of the ground as a trickle, then of coarse is fed by mountain runoff/springs which carry the real natives which the locals call wood Trout, Spruce Trout, Hemlock Trout, Natives, etc.. These are the remenants of the last ice age they say and allot of us find joy in fishing our way up a mountain brook for them.
My point being what flies would one use there? I saw some big stones, a helgermite and some BWO nymphs. My uncle has been fishing it his whole life and floats worms with an ultralight spinning setup.
He tells stories of when he was a kid (is about 66 now) of a man they would follow around who was a fly fisherman. They he always caught the biggest fish. He had a long rod, would poke it through the underbrush and dance flies to entice a bite.
There was another uncle who lived and fished there also. My uncle who I'm named after was killed in WW2. I have his letters and many of them were centered around him thinking of the stream, and the Trout he was missing out on.
Does anyone know of a hatch chart for this stream, or one relatively close I could use as a referance so I have a better idea of what to have on me when the mood strikes to head up there?
I am not against using worms, but I get much more satisfaction personally tying my own flies and catching fish with them. Any help is appreciated.
Salmo

Lyrical

6 Replies Related Threads

robdob
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Honey Creek Mifflin County 2009/04/01 23:32:00 (permalink)
    sulphers all summer.. grew up about 50 ft from honey creek. 
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Honey Creek Mifflin County 2009/04/02 10:32:55 (permalink)
    Egg patterns and foam ants!

Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Honey Creek Mifflin County 2009/04/02 12:42:50 (permalink)
    John,

Unless they are those picky brookies at big spring enticing them shouldnt be as difficult

Next time u get up that way it might be a good idea to seine it. I realize a PT isnt a exact imitation of a sulpher nymph but it works well for me. Its a good sign that there are stoneflys and mayflies. I would suspect that there are caddis as well. A couple of the local streams in my area are still recovering from the last flood <caddis wise>

Ant patterns are always a good thing :)  

Is it more like a freestone with riffles, pools and gradient or like the spring creeks near you?  Always nice to have some Attracter patterns like Royal Wulff, coachmans,patriots or whatever you like. Cant go wrong with Elk Hair Caddis/Para Adams as well as u can always use them elsewhere
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Honey Creek Mifflin County 2009/04/02 13:35:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: robdob

sulphers all summer.. grew up about 50 ft from honey creek. 

Wow- cool. I gotta get up there soon.

D- that is funny. I guess some ants would work, but foam is heresy- so are eggs (except when fishing behind SaLmONs).
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2009/04/02 13:36:31

Lyrical
    Hammer26
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Honey Creek Mifflin County 2009/04/02 19:45:19 (permalink)
    Just fished the DHALO stretch a couple of weeks ago. The water was still 35 degrees! Naturally the trout weren't real peppy.

I was never up there in the late spring or early summer.
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Honey Creek Mifflin County 2009/04/03 00:47:53 (permalink)
    I have a couple ant patterns i will show ya when I'm out ur way, hopefully soon
    Jump to: