How do you keep others out of your tree stand?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
nightowl207
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 567
  • Reward points: 0
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/20 00:11:03 (permalink)
Take a couple pins out of it so he falls on his face when he goes to climb it. That'll teach him why you dont use other peoples stands. Why would anyone climb into somes stand. not knowing the "mechanic" that put it together or built it.
Take the ladder section out that doesnt have the support going to the tree attached to it and chain n padlock it to another section.
peacymike
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 540
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/24 17:10:06 (permalink)
chainsaw cut the tree down dream on
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/24 19:18:51 (permalink)
YOU DUMAS POTSMOKER!!!!!
jaybird
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/25 09:46:22 (permalink)
Hows this I set up a tree stand on my own property in Greene co. . with locks and chain. 2 days later it was gone. This area of Greene is full of poachers. They have been reported to the game warden but nothing has been done. I guess they don"t have time. All they need to do is set up a dummy deer and catch them. The property is posted and the game warden said I would have to get their license number. Good luck on that. These guys will shoot you, because they are jerks. Sometimes you wonder what this world is coming to, over a deer? Theres more important things in life. Hope y'all have a great Christmas an Happy Hunting!
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/29 14:44:00 (permalink)
Cutting trees and litter a potential problem. Using your stand, Priceless! I don't care if anyone uses my stand. I've used other stands while in the woods. I have 7 or 8 ladder stands and leave them in year round. I'm glad their using them where I put them and not somewhere else after they steal them! If they have permission to be there theres not alot you can do. In fact it may upset the landowner if you act selfish!
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/29 17:49:14 (permalink)
Question for jaybird...

It's your property and IT'S POSTED....

why should the PGC worry about it .... it's not public land....

call the state police that's their job... not the PGC.....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/12/29 17:53:08
KISHWAA
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 899
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/29 17:58:51 (permalink)
IF ITS YOUR LAND AND YOU DONT KNOW THEM SHOOTEM.
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/30 10:00:07 (permalink)
On my own ground I built a tower stand and can see a stand a long way off that a friend put up. Now I know he is not hunting this one day and I watched two hunters get up and hunt from it for a while one afternoon. Yesterday a partner I own a property with finds a neighbor up my tree stand. I have wondered if I would be able to hunt his property, I guess it will be OK, however I will ask him first. I have kicked more hunters off of properties I own do to climbers that cut into trees than for any other reason. One fella I warned to stay out of Cherry Trees and never use a climber that can cut the tree. My partner caught him up a Cherry Tree with a climber with teeth. He is no longer welcome. Last time I saw him he was telling me how much he misses hunting on our ground, and that he hunted there for many years. My partner caught a high ranking State Trooper up one of our Cherry trees with a toothy climber, he ripped it up real bad. It was a veneer quality tree and we had to cull it last cut. I don't want litter,  I don't want my trees damaged, and I don't want large organized drives. I get all three even though many of those caught have allready been warned. One group shot a sow and the two cubs this fall in a large drive, they know I do not want large drives on my property. I may end up posting all my properties or leasing.
  Sorry for using this site to vent!
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/30 10:37:00 (permalink)
treesparrow..

sometimes venting is a good thing

It was good reading your post and I can add you to the list of folks who have or may post their property... and ONCE AGAIN... it has nothing to do with the deer population.. IT's HUNTERS ruining it for other hunters....

the true #1 reason land gets posted PERIOD !!!!!!
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/30 13:05:04 (permalink)
Wellll-- for several years Doc and others have said, (If there are no deer where you are hunting move to where they are). As the deer get thinned out in areas some folks are leasing and posting so they have deer for themselves, some are posting their own land for their private hunting ground, and the remaining hunters get pushed onto less and less land with all the bad things that happen with lots of people in relatively small areas. This will lead to more posting of prevously open land which continues the cycle. Now what will happen is some hunters will see the posters and read LOTS OF DEER HERE. This means that instead of enjoying some relativly undisturbed private property you get to spend all your time trying to keep folks off your property. I can guarantee you the PGC won't become involved if it is posted and it is not the top priority with the police. In more than a few cases they are sitting a couple trees down. Of course neither Doc or the PGC will ever admit that.
killdeer19
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 654
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/30 16:00:16 (permalink)
My neighbor and I only have a small area to hunt in behind our houses. We both have stands in the same area and right now, they're about 5 feet from each other. If one of us is hunting, then other doesn't bother coming up. When wearing orange, it's not hard to see if someone is in the stands from our back porch. Funny thing is, even though we're that close to each other, we won't just use the other's stand. It's mearly principle. We both have given each other permission to use the others stand, but we don't.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/30 16:22:05 (permalink)
Found a nice Cherry tree(20") on a piece of ground the boss owns. It had about 8 screw in tree steps right up the side of it...People don't know their trees  they should refrain from using tree stands...That ground is now posted and leased....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/30 18:28:33 (permalink)
s-10..

I think I just posted that the PGC is not really interested in getting involved in patroling private property that is posted... and again they have no reason to be concerned.... that's a state police problem but you are right they don't really want  to get invloved either....

#1 reason it is super hard to prosecute some one for tresspassing.. the owner has to PROVE the person KNEW he was trespassing and doing it intentionally.... and not just lost in the woods and missed a sign..

many property owner do not want the expense, time, etc to go to court to fight theses cases.. so charges are dropped and the police have wasted there time .... the owner can chase folks off just as easy as a cop... and the end results will be about the same...

If they do go to court and can not convince a jury the guy KNEW he was intentionally tresspassing they lose the case and end up getting sued themselves... 

It's easy to sit and type what a person should do on the internet... and usually it is not the OWNER doing that.. they already KNOW how hard it is to get someone interested in a tresspassing case.... and getting it thru a court is even harder....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/12/30 18:31:18
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/30 18:42:09 (permalink)
As the deer get thinned out in areas some folks are leasing and posting so they have deer for themselves, some are posting their own land for their private hunting ground,

again that all to often heard  mis-statement.... 

even this topic has a perfect example of WHY LAND WAS POSTED AND IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH DEER.....

those whiners continue to use lower deer numbers  as the reason for everything that is happening with deer hunting...

and surveys and studies have found that not to be true...

There are many other reasons for --

..posted ground
..fewer hunters in the North Central regions
..lower licenses sales

IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT DEER !!!!!

but the whiners will never admit that.... they will continue to listen to other whiners and not the facts.... they gain confidence when they find others that believe the same  and are armed with the same un-truths and
mis-information...

and enjoy being in the minority as a result.....

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/30 18:45:33 (permalink)
Have to agree with you on that post. That is why I  kind of chuckle at the folks who think that just by posting their land to save a few deer for themselves (leased or not) that everyone is automatically going to stay off. Your better off leaving it open and just going after the the ones who abuse it. Both the PGC and state cops will take more of an interest in helping you and the courts are also on your side. As I stated before, to many folks a private property sign reads--LOTS OF DEER HERE.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/30 18:51:45 (permalink)
You Sneaky so and so You slipped in another post while I was agreeing with your first one. I don't agree at all with the second one. Why is it that so much of the land is being leased up and POSTED by hunters? It is all and practically only about deer. Even in Bings post the land is now being LEASED so it is still being hunted. I'll bet it wasn't leased by bird watchers.
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/30 20:23:24 (permalink)
S-10, I don't know why you keep arguing with Doc. He is a PGC volunteer apologist, whatever answers you have to his questions, he has a better answer.

Just kidding Doc, don't get your crossbow decorated panties in a bunch.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/30 20:57:54 (permalink)
Your right Goby, but it's soooo much fun  and it's a long dry spell until spring gobbler. Besides, it gives Doc a opportunity to audition for a job as spin Doctor-- Oops I meant "spokesmen" for the PGC.
treesparrow
Expert Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/31 21:41:41 (permalink)
Over the years I have booted only a couple of people off my propertys. However they earned it. The next time I boot someone I will warn them, and perhaps also with a registered letter. After being warned it is a much more serious offense if caught the second time. I beleave it is a fellony. Here is one for you! Bear season a couple years ago I get out of a tower I have on ground I own with another fella. I had to walk down the shooting lane ~ 350yds to ask a couple guys to please move off our shooting lane. They argued with me, asking me how I was sure that the ground they were on was mine. I proceded to let them know I was not going to argue with them ,we would do it in front of a magistrate if they didn't move. I told them they could hunt the land just stay off the shooting lanes. The next day here comes these same guys lining up on the shooting lane,setting up to do a drive. I was sitting in the other side of the shanty when my partner yelled out asking them what they were doing. The one I kicked off the day before yells up, "they are lining up for a drive. My partner yelled, "Oh no you are not". This guy yells back that ,"a fella yesterday that is one of the owners said he could". Well I heard enough and about jumped to that window and yelled out. "WHAT DID I TELL YOU YESTERDAY"? He looked at me and stated," to stay off the shooting lanes". I asked him then what he and his friends were going to do now? He said, "leave".
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/31 22:15:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Even in Bings post the land is now being LEASED so it is still being hunted. I'll bet it wasn't leased by bird watchers.

That 200 acre piece now brings in the land owner $1800 dollars a year in lease money. Some fellow deer hunters got tired of all the slobs ruining their hunts and the boss got tired of the slobs ruining his property. Looks like they both win to me....Sure helps pay the property taxes as the turn around on Timber land is measured in decades..

Only person I hear whining is Dr. Pout..for some reason he no like private citizens leasing property they own and pay taxes on..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

treesparrow
Expert Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2009/01/01 09:49:22 (permalink)
When I grew up I hunted private property, and was welcomed by some super great people. When it comes to posting property I get a twinge of gilt thinking of those people who were so kind to me. I have been very fortunate to acquire the land that I have, and I don't mind sharing the hunting and fishing on my land. However I have some simple rules. If those rules can't be followed I will have to post. Also taxes have increased . On some properties they are 10 times higher than 10 years ago.
 I am going out today with the blunderbust and hope I have no trouble with anyone.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2009/01/01 11:00:30 (permalink)
I have nothing at all against a person posting his property... NOTHING....

I am just saying that the majority of the posting being done in the past 4-5 years has more to  do with SLOB hunters than people trying to keep the deer to themselves as S-10 and others like him are always claiming....

If I had enough property mine would be posted too..... I see the slobs every year because the woods next to me are state game lands.... and they (the slob hunters) would not act any differently just because the property was mine...

Leasing it to fellow hunters is fine too.... and it would be like a source of income.... that too is fine.... I can understand that..

The truth is there are several reasons folks post their property....

trying to keep the deer to yourself is not anywhere near the top in those reasons.... it's just something the "whiners" keep saying  and it is no true except for a VERY limited number of people... and deer biology has proven that the basis (keeping the deer for themselves) WILL NOT WORK AS PLANNED..........
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2009/01/01 13:03:35 (permalink)
The truth is there are several reasons folks post their property....

trying to keep the deer to yourself is not anywhere near the top in those reasons

Care to point to any studies that back up that claim---and while your at it try to explain why leasing and posting has become so prevelant in the last few years in Pennsylvania. Is it the bird watchers and flower lovers leasing the land or is it the hunters? And speaking of whiners, I remember on both this site and your own a certain fellow doing a lot of whining because his neighbor has posted his land and he is not allowed to  try to bait the deer to get them to where he could shoot them. But this fellow takes lots of pictures of those same deer and posts them on the net to prove how many deer there in his area. I'll bet you know who I am talking about don't you Doc.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2009/01/01 16:07:41 (permalink)
I remember on both this site and your own a certain fellow doing a lot of whining because his neighbor has posted his land and he is not allowed to  try to bait the deer to get them to where he could shoot them. But this fellow takes lots of pictures of those same deer and posts them on the net to prove how many deer there in his area. 

If you would just try to READ WHAT IS IN my posts instead of putting YOUR "thoughts" into them ... well... what can I say..

I always post whether its public or private ground,... open or posted..... I rarely say  if I have permission to hunt those posted/private properties.... you just assumed I didn't have permission for many of them...

The travis property is the one exception.. no one has permission to hunt there (that I personaly know) and no one ever has since 1960.............

I personal see nothing wrong with baiting except at this time it is against the law.... I mentioned that many feel baiting will "draw" deer off posted land... it won't .....but that's for another day....

#2... as for the photos I post on my site... you know dang well I state where the photo was taken.... and 90% of them are on either SGL#54 or Clear Creek state forest or land that is open (with permission) .... sure some are on posted ground but I try to always state that... and I NEVER try to use the posted ground (that no one has permission to hunt) photos to show deer populations in the area.... in fact I do just the opposite... and as you know I even went so far as to direct strangers to places to hunt deer this fall and they were successful and that was all on public land... so yes the deer herd around here is just fine thank tyou.......

while your at it try to explain why leasing and posting has become so prevelant in the last few years in Pennsylvania. Is it the bird watchers and flower lovers leasing the land or is it the hunters?

Once again .. proof you do not read what I post...

I just posted that most is posted because of slob hunters.. and have many times mentioned the others.. tresspassers, damage, ATVs etc...

Pa hunters are lazy...

with the reduced herds on public land many feel that tresspassing is the answer... they actually think there are more deer there...
because folks (like you) think and post the deer are all on private posted ground..

Many owners have realized there are guys out there that will pay their taxes for them and so they lease....  they also can control the type hunters on their property.. how's this one .....

I just read on here (I think) a guy has permission to hunt some one else's property so now he is going to plant food plots.... the owner and his friends, and family and others with permission  will reap the benefits and not have to do a dang bit of the work.... ??????????????

If some one wants to come here and plant food plots on my ground for me (no work or expense for me)... you're more than welcome.. I don't have the time or energy. But my hunting friends and I sure will enjoy your efforts....... and I'lll allow you to hunt here in exchange...

getting off the topic....

I know guys who belong to leases around here and their luck is no better than mine or my friends..

so to answer you one more time.....

.......property is being posted because of slob hunters...

...... property is being leased because it changes NOTHING for the owner and his friends and family... and because there are folks out there willing to pay to hunt deer... and many think it will be easier on posted (leased) ground...

why don't they go and use a hunting preserves if they enjoy paying to hunt???

who knows.... I guess they think paying to hunt on farmer Joe's is different than Bill's deer farm ??????????????

The day I pay someone to hunt deer on his property is the day I quit deer hunting.....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/01/01 16:14:53
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2009/01/01 16:28:40 (permalink)
Doc wrote=yes the deer herd around here is just fine thank tyou.......

And how many bucks have you killed since HR/AR?
You complained about not being able to bait the deer off the travis property on your own site a year or so ago
You side stepped answering the question why so many hunters are leasing and posting property
You may be a lazy Pa hunter but don't judge everyone by yourself
You yourself have said there are more deer on private property(ex-Travis property) and generally that is true.
Still waiting on you to cite studies backing up your opinion of why folks post/ano or lease and post property.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2009/01/01 17:00:05 (permalink)
You yourself have said there are more deer on private property(ex-Travis property) and generally that is true.

That is an OUT AND OUT LIE !!!!!!

all I ever said was there were TONS of deer on Travis property..... no one hunts there for over 30 years..... there has to be tons...

I never made any general such statement such as ---there are more deer on private property.... I DO NOT BELIEVe that for one minute....just another example of you changing my words and taking them out of context....

same with the remark about baiting from travis that you said I said a year ago... I know that is not true either... because I could not bait from tavis to property that is open to hunting for me .... again out of context...

I was talking about folks thinking that baiting from a property (like travis) would improve their odds...

time to take another break from this place...........
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2009/01/01 17:23:09 (permalink)
quote:

That is an OUT AND OUT LIE !!!!!!

all I ever said was there were TONS of deer on Travis property..... no one hunts there for over 30 years..... there has to be tons...

I never made any general such statement such as ---there are more deer on private property.... I DO NOT BELIEVe that for one minute.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2009/01/01 17:29:11 (permalink)
WHAT ???????????????????????

I think S-10 has left the building

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2009/01/01 18:44:31 (permalink)
All you did was prove my point. I wanted to save it for the future in case you woke up and deleted your post. Now--back to how to keep folks out of your treestand which I think was the original topic.  As long as they don't harm it I don't even try. If there in it when I want to use it I ask them to leave. Otherwise it's a waste of time to get all worked up over it.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2009/01/01 19:31:48 (permalink)
RIGHT....

I always take my tree stand with me so I never have that problem  ....
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: