How do you keep others out of your tree stand?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Blowchowski
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 577
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/13 12:38:56 (permalink)

How do you keep others out of your tree stand?

This never really bothered me before, but I've got a guy using one of my stands. Thought there might have been, but wasn't too concerned about it. Now I'm finding candy wrappers, and noticed a small tree cut down to "improve" a shooting lane. I'm going to talk to the land owner about it so that he doesn't think its me leaving the mess, and cutting down trees.
I have my name and phone number on the stand, but no one has called... Not that I would expect them to.

Anyone figure out a way to rig/block access to a ladder stand?

I'd like to catch the guy some time.

66 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/13 12:46:45 (permalink)
    Snare

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/13 13:02:06 (permalink)
    Ha! I think I'd have some liability there...
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/13 13:22:05 (permalink)
    I use the lone wolf climbing sticks, they take only seconds put on and get me up a tree, they are quiet and they are VERY sturdy.  As well as being much easier to carry a gorilla stand and them than a ladder stand.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/13 13:30:39 (permalink)
    I guess my problem is: Its a great stand. 2 man "buddy" stand. It has a railing, and is in a great spot. I guess its too much for someone to pass up.. <sigh>
    KISHWAA
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 899
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/13 13:50:04 (permalink)
    is your name on it somewhere if not you might be looking into some troubles down the road hope he doesnt try to take it
    kilbasi kid
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/13 14:02:45 (permalink)
    put a fake dummy up their dressed in orange.He'll keep walking.
    chromewrangler
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/13 17:59:27 (permalink)
    we had the same problem....we dug a hole at the bottom of the ladder, and covered it over with sticks and leaves...............lol umm, it presents a problem that its a ladder stand because you have to keep the ladder together, but when we had that problem we just took a section of the climbing sticks out and made it so that you needed that section to get into the tree...i dunno if that helps but thats all i got
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/13 18:37:30 (permalink)
    take the strap of the stand
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/13 23:56:08 (permalink)
    Stands get stolen in my area, tough call. Maybe you can confront the guy in the woods. Personal contact usually clears up the problem.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/14 00:11:00 (permalink)
    Truthfully, as long as another guy doesn't litter up the place or damage the stand somehow, I dont really have all that much of a problem with someone else using my stands, as long as they have permission to be on the land.  Primarily, I use a portable climber, so this problem is rare for me.  But, I figure, this guy is in the same boat as me, just out there trying to get a deer. As long as he is respectful, and he's not there every day, what's the big deal? 
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/14 12:14:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DanesDad

Truthfully, as long as another guy doesn't litter up the place or damage the stand somehow, I dont really have all that much of a problem with someone else using my stands, as long as they have permission to be on the land.  Primarily, I use a portable climber, so this problem is rare for me.  But, I figure, this guy is in the same boat as me, just out there trying to get a deer. As long as he is respectful, and he's not there every day, what's the big deal? 

So tree stands are community property? Interesting philosophy.

Just like the private property I hunt, my stand is just that as well. Private property.

If someone wants to hunt from a tree stand, then they should go buy one, haul it into the woods, and set it up themselves.

Normally this wouldn't bother me, but this guy has taken the time to leave trash behind, and cut down a tree (I'm sure his justification is that it was just a -small- tree).

Dunno,.. this really rubs me the wrong way. Its a big stand, and a real pain to haul and set up. For someone to just "help themselves" just rubs me the wrong way.

I guess my moral compass works differently than others...

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/14 13:53:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Blowchowski

ORIGINAL: DanesDad

So tree stands are community property? Interesting philosophy.

Just like the private property I hunt, my stand is just that as well. Private property.

If someone wants to hunt from a tree stand, then they should go buy one, haul it into the woods, and set it up themselves.

Normally this wouldn't bother me, but this guy has taken the time to leave trash behind, and cut down a tree (I'm sure his justification is that it was just a -small- tree).

Dunno,.. this really rubs me the wrong way. Its a big stand, and a real pain to haul and set up. For someone to just "help themselves" just rubs me the wrong way.

I guess my moral compass works differently than others...

Orange dummy.

Confront the guy

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/14 14:14:54 (permalink)
    I always had a few stands in places i knew others hunted...honestly as long as no1 stole the stand i wouldnt care if they were using it while i wasnt...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/14 14:23:42 (permalink)
    "Truthfully, as long as another guy doesn't litter up the place or damage the stand somehow, I dont really have all that much of a problem with someone else using my stands, as long as they have permission to be on the land."

Danes,

I can understand your thinking. In today's world, it would not be the biggest of deals. What I DON'T understand, is the thought process that would allow someone to believe that it's all right to just use someone else's property. It would never even enter my mind to use someone else's stand.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/14 18:14:05 (permalink)
    How about the idea of them stinking up the place..

Using some one elses stand is all wrong in my book...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/14 18:18:58 (permalink)
    shoot him out of it
    racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/14 21:03:51 (permalink)
    Had the same problem 4 years back while using stick ladders..I got a piece of unused chain that I tied my stand in with flipped the stand up against the tree and padlocked it .Kind of a pain unlocking it in the dark but ended that problem..Thats when they started to mess with the stick ladder,now mind you this is on private land with written permission only.Next solution is using the old centaur sky hook steps with the bolts that stay in the tree ended all problems sinced then.On public land I use rapid rails and leave the stand in the tree and climb into it wth the rails..If yous is a ladder stand keeping anyone out will be pretty hard..I hate tresspassers and worse yet anyone who has the nads to climb into any one elses stand..Ray

la Fish Hog
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/14 22:05:27 (permalink)
    I'd go out and catch the guy setting in the stand and take the climbing sticks off the tree while he's in it. If it's not your stand, you shouldnt be in it without permission.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/15 03:15:03 (permalink)
    In one place I hunt, a group of guys I work with put several stands up on a piece of ground that we have permission to hunt.  Any one of us may be in any of them at any time without the knowledge of any of the others.  I, personally own none of these stands, but have sat in most of them from time to time.

In another place I hunt, where I have permission, the same lock on has been up the entire 5 year span I've hunted the area-to the point that the tree is growing over the chains and locks.  I have no idea who it belongs to, but am I supposed to accept that the guy who put it up has claimed the area permanently?  (BTW the landowner doesn't hunt, so the stand isn't his).  I've never seen anybody hunting out of it.

When I put a stand up in a place open to anybody, I dont feel I have the exclusive right to hunt the spot the stand is in.  Plus, I'd rather have someone sit in one of my stands than to have them steal it outright.

Like I said, I avoid a lot of this by mainly using my climber, but I do have a ladder stand and a lock on.  If you happen upon them, go ahead and sit in em if you want.  Just please dont steal them.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/15 08:15:08 (permalink)
    DanesDad, Are you the guy that never contributes to the coffee fund at work, but has 5 cups a day?

You wouldn't be welcome on the place I hunt. As least not by my standards, or the landowners. By putting up a stand, no one is "claiming" an area. They're putting up a stand. I have another tree stand about 30 yards from one of my other stands that was put up 2 days after mine was there. No harm, no foul. If I'm there first, he won't hunt his, and vice versa. I've hunted at the bottom of a tree that with an unoccupied stand many times. Just because its there doesn't make it fair game for anyone to occupy. Its called respect.

Anyway, the land owner is pretty sure who it is, and will confront him the next time he's there. If its him, then he's done hunting there. I'm in 2B so hopefully he'll show this year yet.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/15 09:18:00 (permalink)
    I know some of the ladder stand manufacturer's are making their bottom sets of steps with removable steps now to prevent this.  Maybe you could buy a replacement section of steps for your model?  Or, maybe you can check out the design at the store and if you are good with metal, work your ladder steps over to make them removable.  Shouldn't be that difficult. 
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/15 10:13:41 (permalink)
    Cool. I'll check it out.
    noahhunter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/15 14:32:51 (permalink)
    I use sky hooks...  6 sky hooks up then i use screw ins for the rest of the way to my stand...  the sky hooks, u can take on and off..  u screw in bolts to the tree and the hook onto the bolt,,, ..so u take them as u come and go...  real convenient so when u come to ur stand no one can get up in there unless they have skyhooks...    only thing is, they are hard to come by... 
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/15 15:28:34 (permalink)
    I just dont stress others using my stands.  I dont often encounter other hunters and even less frequently in my stands.  If someone puts up a lock on in the only good tree in an area, and he hunts out of it once a year, should I use my climber to scale the same tree when I want to hunt out of it.  On the extremely rare occasions someone comes up to me and I'm in their stands, I give it up immediately.  It happens, maybe once every few years.  All in all, I'd rather have someone use it than steal it.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/15 15:46:13 (permalink)
    Oh, and I dont drink coffee 
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/15 18:18:14 (permalink)
    Take the seat pad off when you leave!
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/15 23:52:23 (permalink)
    I have a real problem with people hunting from my stands.  It shows a definate lack of respect for your fellow hunters.  If you didn't do the scouting, carry the stand in, and put it up then why in the world would you go in it?  Do your own work, there are no exceptions.

From my parents house last saturday my brother noticed someone in my stand.  Once I was aware I immediately went down to confront him and asked him politely if he owned the stand.  He said no followed with some BS story about his friend had told about the stand and told him that he should hunt out of it.  I replied saying that this was my stand and I will be taking it down....NOW.  He followed with some more crap stories and exited the area while I removed the stand.  I will not tolerate lazy people!!!  Secondly, with all the stands I have had stolen over the years I have learned not to trust anyone. I honestly would not have been suprised if he had intentions of bringing the stand with him.

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/16 00:08:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mikeg

Take the seat pad off when you leave!

ding ding ding...we have a winner!
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: How do you keep others out of your tree stand? 2008/12/16 00:35:14 (permalink)
    Hunt where they can't find them, or so high they are scared of them!

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: