trail cams

Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/12 21:07:13 (permalink)

trail cams

My girlfriend is buying me some new trail cams for Christmas. She asked me today what kind she should buy, and I told her I wasn't sure. So, I did some research, and all I really found was a lot of people saying the cuddeback is the best. That being said, I would have a couple good cameras in the $100-200 range than just one that is $300+

I've been using 35mm stealth cams for the past couple years, and they have worked fine, but i'm tired of buying film and getting film developed. I'm sure the trigger speed is faster on the new cameras than the ones I currently own.

What do you guys use/like? Have you bought any you don't like??

13 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/12 23:13:12 (permalink)
    I have 4 cameras and just ordered another..

I have 2 of the Moultrie Game Watcher cameras from chinamart..$100.

+'s--They take good photos. Fair trigger speed, good battery life..Not too pricey..
    -'s--They are not IR and I think the flash can spook some deer.They are a little bigger in size. D batteries..

I have 1 of the Remington Ghost cameras from chinamart..about $100..

+'s--It is IR..Only 4 D batteries
    -'s--I do not like this camera at all. The IR flash is very weak, it is not as programmable as the others,Keypad can be a pain some times to use, the clock shuts off every time you power down to move it...

Below is the new camera I am going to try..$209...Small compact, AA batteries,..
    Will not know about this for a month. Have to field test it...

[/link][link=http://www.beebusyoutdoors.com/]http://www.beebusyoutdoors.com/

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/12 23:41:11 (permalink)
    I just found a site that reviewed all the popular cams. The ghost seemed to take terrible pics at night, and off color pics during the day.

here is the link: http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/scoutingcameras.html 
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/13 00:13:13 (permalink)
    You are right..I do not recomend the ghost at all..

henhouse
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/14 13:05:22 (permalink)
    Drake; I have 2 Moultries and for the 100 bucks each; no complaints. 6 D batteries make it last for a long time. Advice; when using an attractant to get some pics; put the camera up first. The reason why is that the scent on the camera does tend to attract bears that like to "play" with the camera. Had some real close-ups this year of bears that are curious.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/15 08:09:43 (permalink)
    www.chasingame.com

..is where you want to go drake.   Go to camera reviews link.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/15 08:50:53 (permalink)
    Of all the nice bucks we got on ours this summer, and I mean the real nice ones, we only get the big ones under the flash once.  Plenty of daylight hits for them until they come in at night and then thats it for them.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/15 09:13:30 (permalink)
    If they get flashed once, do they avoid the trail and you never see them again? Just couriouse.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/15 11:44:15 (permalink)
    Got to agree with MM. You usually only get a couple flash pictures of the big boys...
    Mika, I personally think they change their trails.Might only be 30 yards or so one way or the other.
    Kinda like getting busted in your stand by an older deer..You have to move....
    That's why I'm going to IR...

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/16 08:36:23 (permalink)
    Thought about the ir but a little pricey. I have a cheap setup and my pixs usually are of the back end or of a tree.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/16 08:52:01 (permalink)
    My opinion of the flash and deer reactions..

I think putting scent in the woods spooks the older deer more than the actual flash.  But of course, scent does disappear in a few days.

I also believe the almost silent click noise the cam makes when the pic goes off spooks them too, if they hear it.

This pic .. it does appear the flash went off, despite the sun.  The stealth cam WD3 is very quiet however.  I had this set on 3 pic burst.  I only got two pics of the deer though.  The bedded deer must have gotten up quickly because the WD3 is about 2.5 seconds between pics.

Think that's the buck I killed this year on the far left btw.  Maybe.

All in all, I believe entering the area and scent has far greater affects on the deer than the flash.  I use rubber gloves, rubber boots, and spray when placing cams, but I don't believe there is a way to cover all scent.

post edited by SilverKype - 2008/12/16 08:53:22

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/16 12:41:41 (permalink)
    A friend of mine has the moultrie 4.0 mega pixel IR flash.  Takes great pics.  Both night and day time.  The battery life is great.  It says 150 days I believe.  Not sure exactly how long we have had it up, but it has been in the woods since before archery season and the last time we checked it was last thursday.  Still has good bettery life and still takin pics.  From what I have seen I will be buying one of these as soon as I can.  Cabelas had these for 219.99 but were on sale for 199.99.  Just my 2 cents.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/24 12:03:50 (permalink)
    I too am looking into a new trail cam.... I was at the DuBois Wal-Mart on Monday and asked about trail cameras... the guy told me they no longer carry them... he said Moultrie gave them a hard time about not carrying game feeders and would not supply cameras if they did not sell feeder... results .. NO TRAIL CAMERAS in store.......

I can get a  Cuddeback Capture thru QDMA..

3.0 megapixels
    24MB internal memory
    40ft. flash range
    Daytime Video Clips

$179.95...what your thoughts on them ????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/12/24 12:04:29
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: trail cams 2008/12/24 15:32:09 (permalink)
    he said Moultrie gave them a hard time about not carrying game feeders and would not supply cameras if they did not sell feeder... results .. NO TRAIL CAMERAS in store.......

Talk about kicking yourself in the a-s. Moultrie needs Wal Mart a lot more than Wal Mart needs Moultrie. My guess is it won't be long before they have another brand in there. The folks I know that have Cuddy's like them for the price.
    Jump to: