3wt vs 5 wt fly rod

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
seizeone
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/26 10:40:19 (permalink)
im so glad to see that some of you guys share my fondness for slow action rods.... the old superfines were some of the most fun rods to fish ever, in my opinion.... a good friend of mine just found a 6wt old superfine in a shop in vermont and gave it to me as a christmas present.... now THAT is a good friend............

for small brookies a 2wt works great for me. for stockers i go with a 4wt, for steelhead its 6/7wt, for salmon its 7/8wt's my rod-lengths depend on the stream size....

and i also couldnt agree more, that i good cast/loop is in the casters ability, not the rod/action.......
casts_by_fly
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 671
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/26 21:00:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Skip16503

OK I've been kicking this Idea around for a couple of years ..  I'm not nuts  Well most of the time       I'm thinking about a 4 foot 5 WT Full Flex for Mpuntain Streams What ya Think?   Go ahead tell me I'm stupid I'm used to I've been married 26 years...........

skip,

I have one. I had a broken 6 wt that I cut off just in front of the grip. I picked up a 3' (maybe 4') fiberglass ice fishing rod blank, bushed the bottom 6" with tape, and glued it into the grip cut off. I then wrapped a couple fly guides up around the tip and a stripper guide. It casts pretty well with a 5 or 6 wt line. It is a full flex action and the tip of the rod can touch the butt. I haven't fished it for brookies, but I've cast it a bunch and know that it would do the job.

Thanks
Rick
strandman220
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 140
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/26 21:24:55 (permalink)
Slow action rods are by far the most fun to fish with. And are a great choice as a casting rod. When you have the room to really stack a leader. On the other hand mid to fast rods are better casting machines. Even the fastest rod will load short if you know what you are doing. I think all the replys to over loading a rod with a higher line wt. Are based on bad casting practices. And are used as a vice to get some feel.

An over loaded rod will not cast better short. Will not cast farther. Or improve accuracy.
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/26 21:36:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: casts_by_fly

ORIGINAL: Skip16503

OK I've been kicking this Idea around for a couple of years ..  I'm not nuts  Well most of the time       I'm thinking about a 4 foot 5 WT Full Flex for Mpuntain Streams What ya Think?   Go ahead tell me I'm stupid I'm used to I've been married 26 years...........

skip,

I have one. I had a broken 6 wt that I cut off just in front of the grip. I picked up a 3' (maybe 4') fiberglass ice fishing rod blank, bushed the bottom 6" with tape, and glued it into the grip cut off. I then wrapped a couple fly guides up around the tip and a stripper guide. It casts pretty well with a 5 or 6 wt line. It is a full flex action and the tip of the rod can touch the butt. I haven't fished it for brookies, but I've cast it a bunch and know that it would do the job.

Thanks
Rick
    Rick  I have the tip section from an 11 foot Noodle rod  I have a cheap reel seat and some extra guides I think I'm going to see what I come up with  Could be interesting....I saw on another Sie a guy that fishes 4 and 5 foot fly rods all the time....  He swears by them..I'll post some results after I get it done..  I might be moving soon so it might get put on the back burner for a while but I will have it ready for some Springtime Brookies......

duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/27 12:23:55 (permalink)
Actually, yes he can.  I've seen him do it.

60FT?  Yep, that too.

The whole fly line?  Yep that as well.

Drake is a fine caster.

Sucker catcher -- even better.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/29 14:32:57 (permalink)
My wife has a 7'3" 3-wt Silver Label that is great for small streams.  It is so slow you can eat a sandwich during the backcast.

When we fished a lot of small streams I built a friend a 6.5' fly rod on an ultra light spinning blank.  I think we lined it with a 4 weight DT an dit was great.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
2Bonthewater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/29 19:13:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: strandman220

Slow action rods are by far the most fun to fish with. And are a great choice as a casting rod. When you have the room to really stack a leader. On the other hand mid to fast rods are better casting machines. Even the fastest rod will load short if you know what you are doing. I think all the replys to over loading a rod with a higher line wt. Are based on bad casting practices. And are used as a vice to get some feel.

An over loaded rod will not cast better short. Will not cast farther. Or improve accuracy.

Not sure of the other members..........but my Fly Logic FLO+ ULTRA FAST is not a great rod........and casts like poop with Rio Grand fly line 5.5..........if you put just straight 5 wt..........it would not be fun to cast.........it isn't fun to cast as it is, unless you put plenty of line on the water...........so I don't agree your  BASED ON BAD CASTING PRACTICES......if my Imperial wasn't broken I'd be fishing that on a daily basis.........that was a great casting rod............loved it........mostly now, I fish my 6 foot 6 inch loomis 3 wt............great little rod.......

I bought the Fly Logic rod in order to have a 400 dollar plus rod in my arsenal............I love fly logic.....but for whatever reason.....I really don't like that rod..........if you can't feel the rod load, then you can't feel the rod load.............

www.2bonthewater.com
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/29 21:26:24 (permalink)
But its so EASY to blame it on you rather than the equipment! 

2B, you do know that Croix is once again marketing the Imperial, right?
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/30 08:20:05 (permalink)
Like most on here, I own a plethora fly rods ranging from low end to the very high end of the spectrum.  Far and away, my two favorites are a Cortland 6'6" 3wt. CL series and the other is a Kunan 7'6" 5 wt.  Both throw beautiful lines on small streams (not as nice on big water where distance is a little more critical).  For small dries and nymphs, I seem to go back to these two more than any others in my arsenal. 
2Bonthewater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/30 10:37:43 (permalink)
cold.......

blame ME.....never could be me............well usually it is...........and I would be the first to blame myself.........but that is not the case with that rod.........I'm not sure why anyone would need an Ultra Fast fly rod..........tried it and did not like it............the idea that you need to overline it does not sit well with me???  why buy a five wt when the company or others suggest putting a 6 wt line on it.......does not make much sense to me.............that particular rod is like casting a pool stick..........and up close fishing is horrible............but as stated previously....if you want distance........you can achieve it with that rod

I learned to fly fish on a old Scientific Anglers that I picked up at a local fly shop cheap...........then went to the Imperial..............I guess I developed a very slow casting motion...........smooth.........not whippy and quick............I just relax and enjoy the cast..........the only rod I have ever fished that was pain in the butt was the FLO+ from Fly Logic....I also owned a Fly Logic FLO+ 8'6" 4 wt..........that was a great rod.........but up close fishing was a pain in the butt.........but, once some line was on the water.........it was a freakin' rocket launcher

and yes I am aware that St. Croix is making the Imperial again...........and they are going to make it here in the USA........that is a good thing..........wondering if making the cheaper models overseas helped them or hurt them??

www.2bonthewater.com
strandman220
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 140
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/30 20:06:07 (permalink)
Ok I am sorry, I am not blaming anyone. All the time. It could be the mfg, not putting enough effort in to the R,and D, work to even know what the right line wt is for the rod.
Guys dont get be wrong most of my rods are mid action.
Better feel for a great bottom roll while nymphing.
Better for stacking a leader, even in the most boiling of pocket water.
A better relaxed feel to casting. When pinpoint casting, and distance are not an issue.
Fish just feel a whole lot better while playing them.
Protection of tippet. When you hook a dandy.
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: 3wt vs 5 wt fly rod 2008/12/31 15:11:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: duncsdad

Actually, yes he can.  I've seen him do it.

60FT?  Yep, that too.

The whole fly line?  Yep that as well.

Drake is a fine caster.

Sucker catcher -- even better.

Yeah, i've been known to catch a sucker once in a while.... Fortunately, nobody was around to see the giant hoover I caught on spruce creek a few days ago. I figured it was one of the Spring Ridge Club's giant mongloid rainbows, but I realized it wasn't one when it actually started to fight.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: