Pro Tec powder paint?

Author
avidangler
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 835
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/22 10:57:59 (permalink)

Pro Tec powder paint?

I just bought 3 colors of this to paint small 1/64 and 1/32 oz jig heads.  I want to decrease my learning curve.  I used a candle and hemos to heat the jig heads up so the paint would adhere, but it says to cure them in the oven at 350 deg. for 20 minutes.  That seems like alot of heat and time for small jigs,  I left one in the candle flame to long and it melted.  Anyone have any experience with this product??   Thanks in advance!

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"

13 Replies Related Threads

pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/22 11:21:59 (permalink)
    If you bought it a transues put it on a cookie sheet i don't know how your oven is but mine likes 275 does a outstanding job on my heads. No problems.

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/22 13:00:09 (permalink)
    I use the same powder paint on my bass jigs. Obviously they are larger than steelhead jigs but I use a toaster oven to cure them. It's the only use for this oven and I bought it at a yardsale.

I'm thinking that if you turned the heat down to 275 or so it would work with no problem. I usually heat my bass jigs at 350...
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/22 14:46:19 (permalink)
    "It's the only use for this oven and I bought it at a yardsale."

Uh man....I was gonna give Kim a call to let her know what you were doing with the toaster!
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/22 16:01:51 (permalink)
    What kind of time does it take to cure this paint in the oven? 

stevepf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/22 19:30:20 (permalink)
    I cure mine @350 for 15-20 mins.I hang mine on a wire cooling rack that I just lay on top of a larger pan.I use a cigarette lighter when I'm painting them.Also try to fluff (I put the lid back on the bottle and shake it up good)up the paint every so often.

I'm gonna fish more and work less.
    Have A Crappie Day
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/23 11:00:55 (permalink)
    Thanks guys i'll give it a shot.

Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/26 20:43:25 (permalink)
    In the past I've always used the standard liquid jig head paints. Not familiar with the powder paint your talking about but just from the posts I understand how it works. What is the primary advantage of using this powder paint?

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/26 21:03:37 (permalink)
    Pretty much chip proof when baked according to instructions. I've always had trouble with the other paints chipping on jigs. 
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/26 21:49:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input Dave.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    Carphead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 284
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/28 13:00:49 (permalink)
    If you have a heat gun, put it on high for 5-6 seconds on the jig head then swipe through the paint very quickly ( a quick swipe makes for a more even paint job).  Works as good as using a lighter. Also try to remember to bust the paint out of the eye before baking because once they are done it's a lot harder to do.

Once you do a few you'll get the hang of not keeping the jig in the paint too long. You will know if you used too much paint if they dripped paint onto the bottom of the oven after baking.
    Happy Guy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/29 02:41:24 (permalink)
    I love the stuff!!!  I've really been experimenting and this is what I do.  First of all get a cheap toaster oven ($30) with a removable rack so you can hang them as you paint while the oven heats up.  I paint 1/64th and 1/32nd heads and they do fine in that 250 to 350 degree range for 20 minutes.  Curing them is a must!!!  If you don't you can drop them on concrete and they'll crumble;  if you cure them you can throw them on concrete and won't scratch.  To heat the head I bought a bernzomatic butane torch ($25)  Sits about five inchs tall and is at a right angle with base so it stands on its own.  Push buttom ignitor with continuous flame if needed.  A couple waves through the flame and dip.  The best money I've spent so far is on a powder paint fluid bed!!!!!  Normal retail $100 got one on e-bay for $46.  If you want to crank out a good number of heads, you have to get one.  Also the eye stays open!  This things blows air in to the powder giving a nice thin coat.  Magazine said "250 jigs/lures per hour".  I thought whatever.  Easy to paint 150 in an hour!  To paint a jig it's 2 seconds in the flame then dip and hang.  I love pro-tec but don't limit yourself.  I order from columbiacoatings.com.  Paint is for industrial use and such things as motorcycle parts.  The powder is designed for powder coating guns but works just like pro-tec.  Tons of colors with different effects.  Don't go by color on screen.  You can get a free catalog with sample colors.  Pro-tec retails for $8 in a store and this stuff $5 in same 2oz bottle. I'll never use traditional vinyl paint again.   

Faith, Family, Friends, Fishing! The only F'ing way to live!
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/29 07:21:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Happy Guy

I love the stuff!!!  I've really been experimenting and this is what I do.  First of all get a cheap toaster oven ($30) with a removable rack so you can hang them as you paint while the oven heats up.  I paint 1/64th and 1/32nd heads and they do fine in that 250 to 350 degree range for 20 minutes.  Curing them is a must!!!  If you don't you can drop them on concrete and they'll crumble;  if you cure them you can throw them on concrete and won't scratch.  To heat the head I bought a bernzomatic butane torch ($25)  Sits about five inchs tall and is at a right angle with base so it stands on its own.  Push buttom ignitor with continuous flame if needed.  A couple waves through the flame and dip.  The best money I've spent so far is on a powder paint fluid bed!!!!!  Normal retail $100 got one on e-bay for $46.  If you want to crank out a good number of heads, you have to get one.  Also the eye stays open!  This things blows air in to the powder giving a nice thin coat.  Magazine said "250 jigs/lures per hour".  I thought whatever.  Easy to paint 150 in an hour!  To paint a jig it's 2 seconds in the flame then dip and hang.  I love pro-tec but don't limit yourself.  I order from columbiacoatings.com.  Paint is for industrial use and such things as motorcycle parts.  The powder is designed for powder coating guns but works just like pro-tec.  Tons of colors with different effects.  Don't go by color on screen.  You can get a free catalog with sample colors.  Pro-tec retails for $8 in a store and this stuff $5 in same 2oz bottle. I'll never use traditional vinyl paint again.   

I also have made 2 fluid beds but to date haven't used them. There are instructions on gamefishingohio.com on how to make them. I had all parts here at the house so cost was $0.
    Happy Guy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Pro Tec powder paint? 2008/11/29 23:28:36 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave!  I'm not the best dyi guy but I think I'll give it a try.  Sure would be nice to have a couple going at once.  I like to use a base color and then coat with an irridescent (sp) finish so atleast two fluid beds at once would be great.  Also making extra cups would make life easy.  Appreciate the web site!

Faith, Family, Friends, Fishing! The only F'ing way to live!
    Jump to: