Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wilbur_83
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 402
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/17 15:59:54 (permalink)

Smoke house/deer processor...

Since deer season is right around the corner - I was wondering what "specialty" processors you guys like?  I go to Brittners in Evans City and have nothing bad to say about them.  After years of taking my deer there I'd like to try someone different this year.

Any suggestions?

What do you recommend? ie. hotstick/bologna...

Do they take whole carcassas or (like most places) only accept de-boned meat?

My BIL had some maple sausage made that was awsome...since I dont...eh hem...speak to him much anymore - do yinns know of any place that makes it...He's from Munhal...so I figure the place he used is close by there...

I'm from Beaver Co. so if there is anyplace close that would be cool.  But - I go clear to Brittners in Butler Co so I'll travel some too - If its highly recommended...

I'd do the processing myself but do not have the proper equipment/space to do so...so thats out...

Thanks all and good luck...

34 Replies Related Threads

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/17 17:09:36 (permalink)
    Doug Peffers in Evans City.
    It's actually on 65 by there.
    Family run buisness, nice people.

I'd rather give my money to the little guy.

Britners doesn't take whole deer I believe, but they make some KILLER jerky.

sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/17 23:22:45 (permalink)
    i do most of my deer myself but if i want something made i take it to jones in hartford ohio little corner store by apple orchard they take whole or deboned they make great bologna or slimjims with hotpepper cheese in it.   i would like to learn to make it myself but don't know neone who knows how to and have never seen any good recipies to do it or i would try. does neone make ne good bologna or homemade hot sticks?
    scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/18 00:36:44 (permalink)
    I do my deer as well, I make a lot of deer sausage, however I have never made bologna or slimjims. It should be pretty easy though.  I get all my spices for the sausage from a local meat market in erie it is fantastic. I would assume they would sell the spices for peperoni and bologna as well.  Try asking a meat market if they sell the spices, I have also had a few from the kits at gander mountain and they are pretty good as well and contain directions.  Just grind the deer up, then grind the pork up and mix it in a big plastic tub with the spices, I usally add a can of beer to give it some moisture.  Then you stick the stuffing tube on the end and run the mixed stuff through the grinder into the cases.  The pepperoni and bologna has to be cooked on low heat.  I am not sure how they get the cheese in though.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/18 10:24:43 (permalink)
    bologna is cake. buy a premix it usually comes with instructions. Usually you mix it with a good amount of burger-25lbs and let it sit in the fridge for a day. Some people add mustard seed and honey or maple surup. If you dont have a stuffer wrap loafs in cheese cloth. Cook on the lowest temp your oven will make for about 4 hours, jack it up to 200 and check with a meat thermometer every hour till it hits 180. Let the door cracked open a little. Once it does, pull it out and throw it in a sink full of ice water till the temp drops. Pull it out, dry it off, lay it out to dry for about an hour and wrap it up. You can also do this in a smoker, which i do now because its very messy. If you do it in your oven cover everything with foil except the burner. It takes roughly 8 hours of cook time, plus the prep time in an oven. Takes me about 2hrs in a my charcoal smoker.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/18 11:24:14 (permalink)
    I had a pepper stick from Mingles last year in rifle and ended up bugging the guy for more.     Needless to say, I was anxious this year to get a deer to him.  Unfortunately, I stopped and he doesn't take deer from the early season, just deboned meat.  He's a part-time painter and archery deer come in too sporadic for him to be able to keep up.  So .. I took the thing home and deboned it, and took some meat back.  I'll have it back by thanksgiving.   MMMMMM..

Very honest guy and outstanding products.  I'd encourage you south central guys to give him a try.  He's on route 22 between short mountain and water street.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2008/11/18 11:44:18

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    aceplayer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/18 15:39:00 (permalink)
    Scare,
    I've actually been looking for a good recipe for deer sausage and haven't really found anything. I don't wanna send this topic of to recipe land but could you PM me a recipe for it? If its some big family secert or something I don't want to intrude or anything on that. Just would like to give it a wirl :-)
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/18 15:49:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Deadbolt401

Doug Peffers in Evans City.
    It's actually on 65 by there.
    Family run buisness, nice people.

I'd rather give my money to the little guy.

Britners doesn't take whole deer I believe, but they make some KILLER jerky.

You mean 68 right?  when you turn into the road to Brittners they're on the left...correct?

Do they take the whole carcass?

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/18 16:00:17 (permalink)
    Smith's in Beaverfalls,will make hot sticks and smoke your hams( hind leg) Blackhawk  specaltiy meats will make any thing you want( but there a little strange) I took over $ 500 dollars of goose breast(over 3 years) to make into hots sticks picked up the last batch and the lady said I gave her help trouble,and please don't come back,I paid her $ 48 and never went back.I bought a huge smoker,go to Con Yeager for spices and casings and make my own hot sticks.Its not that hard to do.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/18 21:15:05 (permalink)
    I saw home depot has a locker style small smoker for $60 when i was there today. I may have to have one of those at some point. You can always add the electric element.
    scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/18 23:20:41 (permalink)
    Ace,
    pm sent, some error message popped up so let me know if you didn't get it
    aceplayer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/18 23:49:25 (permalink)
    I got it thanks Scare.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/19 08:06:30 (permalink)
    Brittners is the PLACE for deer processing.  Their sweet and hot saussage is probaly the best ive had.

I do all my own butchering, take them the chunk meat, and yum....good stuff

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/19 09:08:51 (permalink)
    cb, I.ve had there sausage. Good stuff!

creel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/19 20:44:49 (permalink)
    Wilber_83 Peffers is near Ellwood city, on 65 right near rt 488.

The place you are thinking about is Elluingers, across from Brittners.

thats a good fish, they are all good, some are gooder than others
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/20 01:43:16 (permalink)
    Doesnt anyone clean and package their own deer anymore? My philosophy is (that has been passed down to from my elders that taught me to hunt), if you cant gut, skin, clean, and package your own game, you have no need to be killing it. No one likes to get their hands or their $400 hunting suit dirty anymore. I understand some people live in town and cant be hanging deer up off their front porch, but the local processors in my backwoods area are always booked solid with business from people that have the ability and area to do it themselves but are just lazy. Its actually a shame because processing the meat is a big part of the experience of hunting that the current generation doesnt even know how to do to pass that knowledge onto the next generation. I outta start a deer gutting and toting business, $150 and Ill come out and gut em and and drag em to the truck so you can take em to the processor. That way nobody wont even have to touch the deer they so easily pull the trigger on, just shoot em and eat em. Sorry for the rant but on a side note. Anyone make jerky with ground meat. Made some tonight, (mesquite, black pepper garlic, original, hickory, and cajun). I was very pleased with the kit. I usually like to make my own seasoning but the kit was a pretty good deal for the variety of premixed flavors so I gave it a go. I recommend it highly, its from Hi Mountain sold a Dunham's   
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/20 05:58:36 (permalink)
    Nightowl207, we kill on 6 or more a year and I've done over 150 of my own deer,we've got it all comercial meat grinder and slicer(love those chip steaks),huge white cutting boards,saws,knives.deer hangers,vac packer,smoker w/temp controll,food dehydrater for jerky and sausage stuffer.I've never taken a deer to have it pocesser,nothing like eating a clean fatfree,griseless piece of meat,that you know is yours. You kown when you get hot sticks made they do them in 50 lb batches so no matter clean and nice your meat is the other meat might not be so nice.One pocesser told me they clean 10 at a time and make the cuts that the hunters wanted and then put all the trim together from the ten deer and split it 10 ways after they grind it. We make more venison burger and sausage at are house than anyting,the hind legs are ground up from adult deer,chip steaks from younger deer,lions,and tenders are about as good as it gets.If I want steak,I go to the G.E. and buy black angus.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/20 08:58:01 (permalink)
    made jerky last night out of the hind quarters soaked the meat in terioky sauce then smoked over mesquite for about to hours than put in the dehydrator till it was finished   turned out pretty good
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/20 09:22:49 (permalink)
    The whole reason i wont take mine somewhere is they all do a ****ty job. They cut right through the bone, they grind in deer fat with the hamburger... all that adds up to gamey meat.

I can skin quarter in debone one in about an hour tops. Then i just take whatever I dont cut into roasts/steaks/jerky and take the whole thing to the local meat market. They run it through the grinder with beef tala or pork and charge me about $5. Only thing I dont own is a grinder. I have a stuffer, a smoker, a dehydrator and vacuume sealer. I also wrap a lot of it in butcher paper. Using freezer bags is foolish.

All of the jerky/bologna I have ever made is actually better then all but one place i had it from, which doesnt butcher. I dont wanna eat someone elses gut shot/poorly gutted/poorly cooled deer, yuck!
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/20 09:42:04 (permalink)
    cut up my own if its cold enough, im very generic, slice some for jerky, burgers and steaks, and chops, and tenderloin, if its too warm take to a local butcher, small operation for a full time farmer, has a nice cooler.  Ive never made anything fancy, ie balogna, peperoni, etc, however the peperoni i have had from others is great.  Id consider buying a spice pack and making it myself. No one should cut on anyone who doesnt cut it up themselves, id like to think that is either their choice or their only option, (maybe the poor guys live in the city) it doesnt make you less of a hunter, less deserving.  Dont be smug!
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/20 10:39:39 (permalink)
    sheesh....

small house - job & kids....

I wish I had time/space to cut deer myself....
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/20 11:52:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wilbur_83

sheesh....

small house - job & kids....

I wish I had time/space to cut deer myself....

Pay them no attention.

You bought your license, hunt how YOU want to hunt.

Your not less of a hunter because someone else butchers your deer.

I might do my own doe if I get one during Gun season, because i know for a fact I won't get my own deer meat back.

Also, before it gets wild, keep it tame here boys. It's only discussion, let's not turn this into the Fisherie Off topic forum.
    scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/20 12:47:04 (permalink)
    I had to take mine somewhere a few years ago because I had to go right back to school the same day.  I told them I wanted it all ground up thinking they would package it in 1-2 lb bags.  My dad went and picked it up and it was all in one paper bag and frozen.  I was so ****ed.  I had to take an ax to it to seperate it into smaller pieces and their was tons of fat in it.  I spend a bit of time making sure all the fat is off when i do my own.
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/20 15:24:53 (permalink)
    I wasnt tring to get anyone worked up. No need for the discussion to get outta control. My point being, how our your children and others you mentor (if any) going to learn the fulll experience of hunting, if the people that are teaching them , just shoot em, take em to the processor, and eat it. The kids just see it like a magic trick and dont know what even goes on behind the scenes. Like I said, A lot of people dont have the time or area to do so. But truthfully, how many take a deer to the processor because they dont know how to do it, because they dont wanna get bloody and its "gross", or just because their lazy and its so much easier to take and give someone money and get some meat back (which is probably 20% less than you would get if you did it yourself). I cant tell you how many adults ive had to show how to gut a deer properly after they sit there and mangle the thing for a half hour, with guts spewing out on the meat, not knowing what their doing. And its because of lack of knowledge that wasnt passed down to them.  If you know what the deer looks like inside and out and know the anatomy of it, its a lot better experience gutting one, skinning one, quartering one, and cleaning one. Im not calling anyone less of a man if they take a deer to a processor, but IMO it does make you less of a hunter if you do because you dont know how to do it yourself or dont want to because its gross. People can do what they want but my feelings of it are if you kill it, you clean it, you eat it, and waste as little as possible (which waste is my big problem with my feelings torward processors). Its about respect for the animal and sport.   
    post edited by nightowl207 - 2008/11/20 15:26:29
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/21 13:10:33 (permalink)
    Less of a hunter?  pa-leeese...

I've cut them up in the past (at a friends that has the room)...no big deal...

Was going to try it in my garage and had the legs clear up in the rafters and his nose was still on the floor...I was like - this aint gonna work...

should have seen my wife (5' - 110#) trying to lift while I'm pulling on the rope trying to tie it off....JUST A SEC - HOLD IT RIGHT THERE HUN!

I just might cut one up yet...just to spite you all....
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/21 13:29:38 (permalink)
    Pull it up with your vehicle/lawnmower/4 wheeler/ harley... whatever, get that **** up there.
    pub
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/28 16:54:44 (permalink)
    Cut up the deer myself,hang it from a tree or in the garage and just start cutting meat off the bone (like to let it hang for three days) A few years back I did take a deer to a processor ,nice size doe 140-150 ,when I picked up the meat they gave me 65lbs of meat and said the deer was shot in the hind leg with a arrow and it was not any good??? Friends have given me meat from most processors in Beaver County and never had any bad tasting meat.-------pub--------
    scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/28 23:47:30 (permalink)
    If it was 140 lbs, you didn't get 65 lbs of meat out of it, especially with only one hind quarter.  The only way is if you left the bones in your steaks.  Not sure if you are trying to say that the butcher ripped you off, but if it was shot during archery it would have had puss on  it, which you wouldn't have wanted.
    post edited by scaremypsu - 2008/11/28 23:48:52
    pub
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/29 08:12:01 (permalink)
    The 140-150 lbs weight was dressed out,the bone left in the cuts along with the bone shavings(man hate that bone shavings on meat)We put it on a hanging scale.I believe there should have been 80lbs min.Also the doe was on the run before she stop to cross a creek.head shot,paced off 203 steps,7x30 waters,longest shot I ever made,lucky----------pub-----
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/30 01:38:30 (permalink)
    Hm...i'd like to see a picture of that doe..how do you know it was 140-150? i've weighed every deer i've got..everyone..and i've seen alot done..and never ever saw a 150 doe feild dressed weight. (127 was the biggest doe) But as i know the buck i got weighed 150..we got about 65 pounds i think it was, we did it ourselves... im not sure on weight the two loins and there was 33 packs of burger we ground up...it was a full 5 gallon bucket full of meat, whatever that would be.   You really dont get more then half of the deer in meat back to you..even if you cut it up yourself. You throw away so much its ridiculous...the head..the hide. the rib cage, the feet..it really starts to add up in weight. when i see a deer i see about 30-40 pounds for both hine legs..and about 15-20 from the fronts/neck and then the backstraps...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: