First Timer!

Author
chromewrangler
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/16 21:49:09 (permalink)

First Timer!

Alright guys, so ive had the privlidge of being brought up in the outdoors.  Ever since i can remember ive been in the woods, especially with my pap....so, ive got my first baby on the way, and its a boy....so im real excited about it.  But, to make a long story short, ive always been on the other end of this deal.  I started shooting 22s when i was maybe 6 or 7...with adult supervision mind you, and ol papa would always take me out when i got a little older and occasionaly, well more often than not hed take me small game hunting and sometimes id get to pop a squirrel....is that how everyone has learned?  How early is too early to take a kid in the woods with you? Ive been joking around with the wife tellin her if i can figure out away to safely put a carseat in my treestand he'll be in the archery woods with me next season haha..obviously thats a joke before someone reams me lol Anyway.. Has someone learned differently?...i wanna do this  right and any kind of advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated...

15 Replies Related Threads

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/16 22:11:46 (permalink)
    I'm with ya man! I'm sporting an 8 month old boy and can't wait until he is old enough to go fishing and hunting. I don't know if anyone can ansew your question because every kid is different. I think you will know when it's time to take the kid out. My oldest daughter likes to fish a little but wants nothing to do with hunting. My 8 year old daughter likes to fish a little and I think she may hunt. I'm attempting to get her to the range to shoot then who knows maybe a mentor buck hunt! I know other guys who started there kids around 6 years old hunting. My 8 year old is very competetive but a little antsy! Good luck and I hope you get him hunting soon!
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/16 22:53:45 (permalink)

Chrome, congrats. My first was a boy also, he is now 4 and loves to fish. On the hunting side I was brought up the same way, started out squirrel hunting with my dad around 8 or 9. I think that is a good age to start. The only thing that is different now is I think it might have been a little safer back then. Sometimes in deer season it gets downright scary with all the shooting, that would scare me even more with my litte boy with me. I just wish all kids were guided the right way and not just handed a gun at 12. On the other side I look foward to hanging up the gun, bow and taking him. I also have a litte girl 1 year but my wife says no way am I getting her in the woods but I think she will be with me one day to. I am 27 and still my dad is my favorite person to hunt and fish with.

post edited by rollcaster - 2008/11/16 22:56:07
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/17 00:24:08 (permalink)
    I started when I was about 12, basically walking with my father and grandfather while they hunted rabbits and pheasants.  I think I went at least a year, maybe two, without a gun.  We didn't hunt over dogs, we just formed a rough skirmish line and tramped thru the bush to push the game out.  I suppose this would be a good way to start if you could find some ground that held birds and bunnies in any quantity.

I feel you, my son is 3 and I cant wait until he can go.  I hope he has the same passion for it as I do.  He already gets a kick out of fishing, so thats a step in the right direction.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/17 06:33:21 (permalink)
    I think thats the right way, at 12, some squirrel hunting, dont push them too hard in deer season, just let them go when they want. The other night my 5yr old daughter says to me..."Daddy, when you buy me a bow and we hunt archery Ill be real quiet, Ill whisper."
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/17 08:42:50 (permalink)
    Congrats!!  If the little one shows and interest take them whenever you are comfortable with it.

With all of the mentored programs now that kid has the opportunity to hunt and harvest just about anything you can put in front of them when you feel it is right.

And thanks for wanting to pass on the tradition.  You are to be commended on that.  Need more like you out there that care about the future of hunters and hunting.

My rifle is a black rifle
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/17 09:10:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

I started when I was about 12, basically walking with my father and grandfather while they hunted rabbits and pheasants.  I think I went at least a year, maybe two, without a gun.  We didn't hunt over dogs, we just formed a rough skirmish line and tramped thru the bush to push the game out.  I suppose this would be a good way to start if you could find some ground that held birds and bunnies in any quantity.

I feel you, my son is 3 and I cant wait until he can go.  I hope he has the same passion for it as I do.  He already gets a kick out of fishing, so thats a step in the right direction.

Ditto this for me, except minus 2 years.  I did my 'no-gun' time before I was old enough to hunt.  When I was then old enough I started hunting.  I turned 12 after deer season so my first year was just second season small game.  After that it was the full monty of gun hunting until I was 13 or 14.  We started into archery then and small game dropped off until second season and right at Thanksgiving.

I was too young to remember when I started fishing, but I can remember going when I was 5.  I fished before then, but don't remember as much.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/17 17:46:43 (permalink)
    Wrangler,
       First...I think a lot of us grew up that way. My earliest memories are on the creek and in the woods with my Dad. I currently have a 10yr old boy that walks through the woods with me..occasionally popping a squirrel or sparrow on the way out. He loves it! No one can teach a kid about the outdoors like his old man. I attribute all the basic knowledge I have about hunting and fishing to those walks. The only piece of advice I have for you is to keep it light and fun (And of course informative). When I take my son out, I know there is a chance he will be cold, or tired, or whatever. When I take him, I make it ABOUT him. If he wants to go home, we go home. If he wants to look in the old rotten log....I let him look in the log. I want to make sure not to discourage him. If I want to hunt hard...I go alone. Good luck Buddy.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    gooseman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/17 19:05:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

Wrangler,
      First...I think a lot of us grew up that way. My earliest memories are on the creek and in the woods with my Dad. I currently have a 10yr old boy that walks through the woods with me..occasionally popping a squirrel or sparrow on the way out. He loves it! No one can teach a kid about the outdoors like his old man. I attribute all the basic knowledge I have about hunting and fishing to those walks. The only piece of advice I have for you is to keep it light and fun (And of course informative). When I take my son out, I know there is a chance he will be cold, or tired, or whatever. When I take him, I make it ABOUT him. If he wants to go home, we go home. If he wants to look in the old rotten log....I let him look in the log. I want to make sure not to discourage him. If I want to hunt hard...I go alone. Good luck Buddy.

I could not agree more......... I have more fun watching my kids do goofy things in the woods/creek then actually hunting. They are fun !!
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/19 11:30:18 (permalink)
    My 27 month old daughter could cast her Zebco Barbie pole 10-15 feet this summer (before she turned 2).  Just last week she was asking mom if dad could take her out on "the boat" to go fishing.  She loves watching hunting shows with me on TV.  She already has caught a couple dozen bluegill on her own with no help from me (I tied a trout fly under a bobber with a tiny splitshot).  She was castching them with no bait right off a dock. 

Son just turned 6 months and he likes looking at and touching my deet mounts so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I could cast a spinning rod by age 3 and I was in the woods with my dad during rifle season at age 8. 

Might want to start out with a decent pellet gun before you go to even a 22 just to get them used to gun safety (without any loud bangs).  I will definitely be taking advantage of the mentored youth program as soon as I think they are mature enough to handle it. 
    KISHWAA
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 899
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/19 12:58:56 (permalink)
    im 20 years old i have a nephew that just turned oneand when hes of age im gonna try and get him in to the outdoors because coming up in this new world ive seen alot of bad things happen to young kids so im gonna try and keep him active in sports and the outdoors no free time no trouble hes my first nephew and i love him to death like hes my son so i dont want to see him go down a bad road thats what kept me outta trouble was the outdoors and sports i was always hunting in the fall after football and fishing in the spring during baseball

HOW YOU GETTIN HOME
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/19 15:37:39 (permalink)
    1 thing I did for my 4 year old was order the batch of bird and game posters that the PGC offers..Only a couple bucks.We hung them on his bedroom wall and practice game and bird identifications all the time...I think the Fish Comm. has fish and amphibians posters also...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

gct069
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/21 18:35:47 (permalink)
    my oldest daughter was 10 when she asked  to go squirel hunting with me.we headed out and in no time i had a fox squirel down..i told her now we have to take care of it(feild dress).i no sooner started the procedure,when her breakfast came back up.her two boys (age 7 and 4...she's 25 now) are starting to show a lot of interest in papa's deer mounts and are asking a lot of questions.ive already talked with them on gun safety,so i think this summer ,i'll invest in some 22 rounds and teach them the way to handle guns....and maybe let them shoot.they both knowthe difference between a deer scrape and turkey scratching.and the youngest is good at locating buck rubs.(just needs a bit of work on the being quiet part lol)

gerg
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/22 15:31:24 (permalink)
    I really cant remember...I remember as a kid going dove hunting and being the retriever as i played with tonka toys on the dirt mounds. haha. After that I remember being in the woods with the dogs rabbit hunting. then squirrel hunting. not with a gun though. then i turned 12 took the saftey course and started hunting .the second year is when i started deer hunting. I agree not to "push" but i think in some sort of manor you want to just take him away from the tv and say hey lets go look at real wildlife and see how he would take to that. i remember my dad always coming home with something and me being nosey. OH i guess i started to fish before that..i remember ice fishing at like age 6 having a blast..you'll know if hes interested in the outdoor world and when hes ready to go and if and hopefully he wants to. dont be afraid if he loves the movie bambie...THAT WAS MY FAVORITE MOVIE EVER hahaha and i still hunt..so dont be worried with that kinda stuff. and have a blast teaching him no matter what happens.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/23 13:11:28 (permalink)
    You better start saving now my kid didn't want no hand me downs.She said if she was going she wanted her own clothes and guns.I bought her a new turkey gun this spring which she got a 9 and half inch gobbler with and a new 243 this fall.I tryed to talk her in to going the first day of rifle she said she'll go next year don't want to push her.It's a great felling when you can get the kids involve in the sport.
    KISHWAA
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 899
    RE: First Timer! 2008/11/23 13:24:54 (permalink)
    Lol thats so true in many ways to save up because when i started i didnt even know what i was gona use as a gun and my dad surprised me with a ithaca model 37 20 ga i still have 8 years later i use it as much as possible just because my dad bought it for me and my first deer gun was a 8mm mauser my dads uncles gun he let me use it for a couple seasons but wanted it back so my dad bought me a new remington model 710 two days after he hit the lottery i gave him the numbers to play he hit it straight 204 12000 cash he gave me 400 rip off lmao

HOW YOU GETTIN HOME
    Jump to: