Welcome to archery

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 11
Author
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 21:17:58 (permalink)
I dont even think the rut has started here in central pa. I see no indication of it at all. Doe's arent being harrassed. They dont have a care in the world. Theres no scraping, no grunting, no running, no nothing to indicate the rut.

I have a feeling my cam will see more action over the next two weeks then I saw all season.
gooseman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 21:20:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jlh42581

I dont even think the rut has started here in central pa. I see no indication of it at all. Doe's arent being harrassed. They dont have a care in the world. Theres no scraping, no grunting, no running, no nothing to indicate the rut.

I have a feeling my cam will see more action over the next two weeks then I saw all season.

Hence, the two weeks of not being able to hunt......... the next two weeks of Ohio will be awsome.......
post edited by gooseman - 2008/11/14 21:21:28
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 21:24:42 (permalink)
It's funny, but I thought the same thing!  I've seen fewer rubs and scrapes this year than ever before.  Usually, somewhere I see at least one buck bird dogging (walking thru the woods with his nose to the ground).  I also usually see at least one doe running pell-mell thru the woods for no apparent reason.  I've seen none of that this year.  The few deer I have seen have been going about their usual business (moving to their bedding areas or feeding).  Although some other guys I know have seen chasing and seeking, I'm not convinced that it's started where I hunt.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 06:08:36 (permalink)
Doe trail through a funnel area for me...Just one of the stands that used to get alot of doe traffic..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 08:57:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: gooseman

Not trying to be rude in any way but where do you get the 60/40 split in Ohio ?

Those numbers are straight from Ohio's stats.  They were published in several articles in magazines and some papers.

Think I just saw it in Petersons Hunting a few issues back.

My rifle is a black rifle
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 09:12:26 (permalink)
I think next week will be the week for the rut.The action picked up in my area the last two days .I saw two scrubs dogging and grunted the buck i shot last night in.I pulled my two cameras yesterday.All i got was one little four point and a few doe.The last time i checked them i had a 11 point there everyday at almost the same time not this time i figures he is crusing for doe.I got alot of bears this week on cam the most at one time was a mom and 4 cubs.
kaween12
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 10:34:41 (permalink)
hell why dont they just open up rifle year round....crossbows are no form of archery.....pretty soon the solitude of archery season will be replaced with the craziness of rifle season...no thanks..thanks PA for another law to up your state funding..im going to ohio
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 10:45:27 (permalink)
Im with ya brother, im going somewhere where I can actually see if all my efforts work or if Im really just a lousy hunter.
bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 10:57:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jlh42581

My lack of desire to hunt centre county anymore has nothing to do with crossbows, you are correct. But I also dont want every rifle hunter or road hunter deciding that archery is now for them. I have limited access, private land owners are very reluctant to even think about offering a lease.

Someone who hunts an area with a deer problem could never understand the thinking of someone who saw 5 deer in 130 hours in the woods.

Not to be a smartass,but you need to find a new area, I havent got out nuch this year, about 50 hours total and Ive seen 17 buck including the one I shot and about 40 doe which Im now trying to get 1. The buck was easier for me than trying to get a big mature doe, This is in NE Ohio, my son has seen 13 buck and probably 200 doe in Crawford county PA, after reading this I feel lucky to live where I do
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 11:22:36 (permalink)
Right or wrong... its sad that a person must now travel hours from home to hunt deer when not long ago you could have a decent season almost anywhere.

Ive been looking for a new area and next year I will have a new area. Might be completely outside of pa. Im really considering moving to the midwest. Something about hunting opportunities on a grand scale. Deer, wild pheasants, lower hunter numbers. If I leave this area it will be because of hunting, I love it that much.

I live close to some of the best trout fishing there is to be had. Fish for some reason dont make my blood pump like flushing birds and hunting deer. Im one of those people who still get excited having a doe in bow range. The only cure for that is more cowbell!
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 11:47:57 (permalink)
Jlh i been traveling anywhere from an hour to an hour and half away all week.After i had a nice gentlemen screw my day up yesterday at 9:30 i decide to move.I thought about making another road trip but i decided not to do that.I want not far from the house an killed a buck.It was not private land just a honey hole that everyone here is to lazy to walk to.If they can't ride the quads or rhinos to there tree then it's out of the picture for them.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 11:52:46 (permalink)
"Right or wrong... its sad that a person must now travel hours from home to hunt deer when not long ago you could have a decent season almost anywhere"

Man, you got that right.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 12:10:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kaween12

crossbows are no form of archery.....pretty soon the solitude of archery season will be replaced with the craziness of rifle season...no thanks..thanks PA for another law to up your state funding..im going to ohio

Good luck, Ohio has just as many archers as Pa. and crossbows have been legal for many years.

gooseman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 12:22:51 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms

ORIGINAL: kaween12

crossbows are no form of archery.....pretty soon the solitude of archery season will be replaced with the craziness of rifle season...no thanks..thanks PA for another law to up your state funding..im going to ohio

Good luck, Ohio has just as many archers as Pa. and crossbows have been legal for many years.

Right. Ohio does probably have as many bow hunters as Pa. Pa is also a much larger state...
post edited by gooseman - 2008/11/15 12:24:44
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 18:36:11 (permalink)
I must really be getting old and my mind must be leaving.... 

I do not understand how someone can complain about a lack of deer in the area they are hunting... and stay in that area ??????????????

hundred plus hours less than 10 deer seen.... and at the same time post something like this..

I havent seen a single gut pile, rubs are few and far between and scrapes well, lets just say I havent seen a single one i didnt make. Everyone I have made went cold.

They probably went cold because there was no bucks around .....

right now the bucks are where the does are..... you saw one small 6pt and 4 does to make up your 5 deer.... with 4 does to one buck you probably will never see that fella again he will not leave those gals...... and with no scrapes the does must not be in the area either...

I'm sure the deer are near by...  but just not where you are setting up.... what do you see in "your area" the deer are eating ????

Around here the deer have even changed their bedding areas within the past 3 weeks...  the field corn is all cut and they have to rely on "the woods" for food now...even the 7-9 deer I have coming into my pasture and apple trees are bedding in a different area now and coming into the pasture/apples from a totally different approach...

if 5 deer for 130+ hours is what I was seeing in "my area"... I PROMISE.. I'd be moving a few miles away....

what more does someone need to see OR BETTER YET... NOT SEE.. before they move to where the deer are  and stop complaining...
I just do not get it.... ?????????????

I could send 20 DIFFERENT guys to 20 DIFFERENT areas within 4-5 miles of my home and I can guarnatee they will not see a deer if they stay there ALL DAY EVERY day  ..there's no food/bedding areas/security there !!!!!!!!!!!

Or I could send them where they would see deer every trip out.....

as mentioned so well.... LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION..... that is and has been what deer hunting is all about..

Gone are the days of just showing up in the woods to see and harvest deer....

remember it's called hunting for deer... not shooting deer.....
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 23:24:20 (permalink)
Easy for someone who has good spots locked up to say.  Maybe the guy isn't surrounded by tons of public land, or a major farming operation that keeps deer around.  Maybe he only has marginal land to hunt.  Maybe his job or family commitments prevent him from hunting a whole lot.  I'm sure if it were as easy as moving to the next woodlot or field, he would have done that.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/15 23:25:57 (permalink)
Also, in case you hadn't noticed, gasoline isn't all that cheap (granted better than it was).  Not everyone can just jump in their truck and drive to some spot 125 miles away at the drop of a hat-much less hunt there regularly.
post edited by DanesDad - 2008/11/15 23:26:40
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 08:01:46 (permalink)
If you READ what I wrote you'll see I never suggested moving 125 miles away...
 The ground I am reffering to is SGL or state forest..... I do not hunt private land anymore.... most of it is posted if you have not noticed ...
and I am not sure where the major farming statement came from ???

If you find comfort in reading about guys complaining that's okay that's your right.... I find it easier to question their reasonings....

1.. WHY are you hunting there ??

2.. What food sources are in the area ??

3.. How many deer have you seen scouting the area ??

MOST of the time you will not get honest answers to those questions....

look at the post where someone is complaining about not seeing deer but then mentions all the tree stands of others in the area....  DUUUHHHH...

The deer have probably been pressured out of the area.... again not the PGC fault at all.... it's the location thing !!!!!!!!!!

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 08:02:30 (permalink)
He wants to shoot a BUCK..How can you give advice on that?? You don't hunt buck remeber..You take your doe the first morning and are content with that..

You don't archery hunt so you have no clue..Mabee next year when you get your arrow gun you can join in...

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 10:12:37 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

You don't archery hunt so you have no clue..Mabee next year when you get your arrow gun you can join in...

Why the animosity in your posts about crossbows?  You can not agree that they belong in archery and still remain civil in your discussions. 

Lets discuss crossbows objectively and the reasons for or against crossbow inclusion instead of inuendo and accusations.

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 11:27:32 (permalink)
He was giving me advice on a season he does not hunt..He will be able to join in next year as he stated in a previous post..I made no accusations about crossbows.

Yes there are stands all through the woods Doc...You can't hunt everywhere as you say..The deer get pushed to ground you cant hunt . so what abandon that area all together..I have more deer pictures than you can shake a stick at.. The deer are around..Most have gone totally nocturnal..You can't hunt at night..

Eventually you run out of places to move too..There are alot of hunters around here..

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 13:46:12 (permalink)
"arrow gun" 

A "crossbow" shoots a short arrow with a broadhead attached and kills by hemorraging.  It's effective hunting range is the same as a vertical bow. 

No need for mis-information now.

jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 14:05:31 (permalink)
To answer you doc there are big bucks in the area. I have them on my trailcams. The food sources are abundant almost too abundant. Most farms still have the corn standing here. Just like your hemlocks I know this area well. I didnt hunt the same property or the same stands every day. In fact, I hunted only one stand twice in all that time. I hunted 6 different properties, a total of 14 differnt stands. I know food sources change, I move with them.

You show me a hunter without private access to anything that can harvest nocturnal deer and ill show you an outlaw. I covered many types of terrain, funnels, right on food sources, in the beds, the mountains, suburbs. Those hours dont accout for the numerous hours of scouting. Take these properties I have to hunt and put me there without 9000 idiots who do no scouting, no preperation, smoke from the treestand and Ill kill deer, guarenteed. Even with low numbers.

I do work a full time job which is 40 miles one way to work. Spending $400 a month on gas just too and from work leaves little in the way of traveling to counties poluted with deer.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 15:37:10 (permalink)
Dp here are a few posts from one of the Ohio boards.I've been trying te read ohios take on arrow guns.These type of posts concern me...

1.  An 8pt at 50 yards.. uphill with the sun my eyes. I thought it was a doe. Got lucky i guess

2. I have the TeamReal Tree 175 and I just shot a doe at 48 yards. That was awsome. I have always been frusturated with deer staying in the field out around 40-70 yards. Now they are not safe.

3.well i knew id be different i have a browning boss. its gotta be at least 8-10 yrs old and i still can take 40-50 yrd shots easily .

4.I have had mine since last spring and I love it. I shot a doe at 48 yards pls I was 16 feet up and she was 15 feet in ravine. That would make it 50 some yards

5.At 15 yds. or less. There is know such thing as a loud x-bow. They get whooped before they hear a thing.
At 20+, I know there going to get that little quick drop. My Horton is a noisy shooter. You just have to know that it is going to happen an correct yourself before the shot.
I'm thinking this is why so many deer are wounded. People, especially new hunter's are just not aware what the deer is going to do when it hears that twang.

6.My tenpoint was loud till i put vibration system on it, Now i know its pretty quiet in the woods. Last year i got a 8 point at 60 yards he didnt know it was coming.:)

Almost every thread on the site had somebody shooting over 40 yards at deer..Couldn't find the one where he was shooting 68 yds...

As far as arrow gun. I find that to be quite apprapo..You hold it and shoot it like a "gun" but you shoot an "arrow"...toughy there...

"It's effective hunting range is the same as a vertical bow." Is that 60 yrds ?? mine isn't... 

Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 16:36:11 (permalink)
Honestly, I don't see the big deal.

Yeah a Crossbow can shoot 60 yards. But I'm sure if you practiced a compound could too.

I've used both, and I like the Compound more.

It's not going to cause a huge influx of hunters all of the sudden.

I hunt 2b, and I rarely see another hunter, where crossbows are legal.

Just my .02
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 17:05:00 (permalink)
Bings,

All of those statements happen often.  Do you think it is just limited to crossbows? 

Look at the forums on the green board.  There are dozens of threads in the archery forum about wounded and lost deer.  As a matter of fact, there is not one in the crossbow forum.

60 yard shots can be done with both a cross and a vert.  The arrow drop for both is huge and both need to know the exact distance at that range.

Because of the extra noise of a crossbow, I would limit my shots to 40 or less.  Yes people kill deer at 60 yards with crossbows and verts but too much can go wrong with either weapon IMO. 

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 17:07:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Deadbolt401

Honestly, I don't see the big deal.

Yeah a Crossbow can shoot 60 yards. But I'm sure if you practiced a compound could too.

I've used both, and I like the Compound more.

It's not going to cause a huge influx of hunters all of the sudden.

I hunt 2b, and I rarely see another hunter, where crossbows are legal.

A fair and honest assessment from someone with hunting experience with both. 

I hunt with both as well.  Just nice to have the choice I guess.

In 2B, crossbows have not effected the quality of my hunt as well. 

DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 17:39:21 (permalink)
Doc, dont assume that I'm comparing his situation to yours.  You dont need to question each point in my post one by one because I was only stating generalizations, not comparing where he hunts to where you hunt.  My point is, not everyone has equal access to prime ground, private or public.  And not everyones situation allows them to invest huge amounts of time and money into hunting.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 17:41:32 (permalink)
Well thats news to me considering ive heard at least ten different people who dont hunt archery currently say that if crossbows are legal for everyone theyre gonna start hunting archery season.

I said it before and Ill say it again. If the game commission honestly thinks it will not have an impact open the season on Oct 1, close it Jan 15 and let anyone use whatever weapon they so choose. Just give me my two more weeks in november.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/16 17:48:46 (permalink)
As an archery hunter, I'm not threatened the X-bow.  I'd rather it be given a short season (ala inline muzzleloaders), but it's not gonna kill me as long as the archery season doesn't get any shorter.  Hell, if they turn out to be a huge advantage (doubtful), I'll just get one myself.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 11
Jump to: