Author
Ditchrat
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/04 17:00:56 (permalink)

Brodhead CK last week of may

Sorry a very canned report
Me and My clients have been spending a lot of time on the Brodhead and it’s tributaries, between 191 and Stroudsburg, in the last week. Fishing has been superb but very challenging. The water is running at spring lows and is currently gin clear. Stealth approaches are your best bet to get into some very solid fishing and fish. Days have been a mix of indicator and float fishing the larger holes and casting over sized dries to the pockets and through the riffles. A sporadic mix of large stoneflies and Slake drakes have been making for great action on large Stimulators and slate drake patterns. Don’t be afraid to fish obnoxious foam dries, as these patterns have the power to pull fish off the bottom for a chance at a large easy meal. The low water has significantly reduced the drift and even the wild browns seem to know they have to pounce on anything floating by before on of its under educated stocked brother jump on it. Fly fishing has been best early mornings and toward the evening leaving most of the day to consider other ways of getting fish on your line. Many of my clients are choosing to use centerpin reels and float to present baits and nymphs at a stealthy distance. Light leaders in the 7x or 2lb test have been a considerable advantage over heavier lines. As well as small light wire hooks. Not only are these hooks less visible but do to their lightness they do not impair the action of the bait or fly. The best news of the week is that we finally got some rainfall, not nearly as much at we need. But it did add some water the local streams and fishing today and tomorrow should be excellent.

Ditch
Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be

6 Replies Related Threads

Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Brodhead CK last week of may 2007/06/04 20:39:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report Ditch I hope it holds up till I get home, I'll keep my toes crossed

Out here in the Rockys I fished the Raddy <colorado river> up in Byars Canyon on Friday.
    We have salmon flys coming off. Landed several nice browns and one bow 15-18 inch. Had many more follows and misses. Started with a salmonfly dry with a salmonfly nymph as a dropper. Had alot of bumps and looks with the nymph. Switched to a smaller stonefly dropper and picked up many 10-14 inches. Even tryed a scuplin at the end and had follows and one pig had his eyes on it. Mark my words it will probably rain for a week when I get home lol. Should be some decent smaller golden stones coming off unless they hatch early from low water conditions.
    Ditchrat
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Brodhead CK last week of may 2007/06/04 22:50:07 (permalink)
    Look me up when you get in.  I have some private water available.  So even if you come back in the heat of summer fishing can still be good.  I can use a good day off fishing with someone instead of working.

I had yellow sallys today on the swiftwater.  And they crushed big ugly foam drys today.  I think out of spite
    post edited by Ditchrat - 2007/06/05 07:30:43

Ditch
    Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Brodhead CK last week of may 2007/06/12 12:17:22 (permalink)
    hi ditchrat,

I could use a bit of help. I'm coming up to the pocono area to take my daughter to camp for the weekend and a friend is letting stay at his cottage.  i've never been in the area and was hoping you could give me the names of a few creeks to try and what i may use to temp a few into biting.

thanks

riz
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Brodhead CK last week of may 2007/06/15 15:21:50 (permalink)
    riz, i fished the broadhead creek years ago with my kids behind the moose lodge off of 191 (n. 5th street), just a few miles north of stroudsburg. go north on 191 for a few miles and look for blue information signs stating moose lodge turn right. the name of the road slips my mind at present.

if you contiue north on 191 it will t-bone into 447. the broadhead runs parallel to it. make a left onto 447 and on the left will be blue recycling dumpsters.  park there and walk up behind them, over the hill, accross the R R tracks and you'll find some nice water.

all of this area recieves heavy stocking from the boat commission. it is prime waters. your daughter can, depending on her experience , can wade fairly easy through there. you should have a perfect weekend weather wise.

if you get the energy, try the delaware river in the watergap. take 80 east and cross to nj, take first exit to info. ctr. make a right at the off ramp and you'll be on copper mine rd. head north parallel to river and park anywhere along the road you can. walk down to river with some worms and you'll have blast with the smallmouths. small mepps #0 and #1 are good for rockbass and maybe even a late run shad. PA fishing license is valid on jersey side of the river.

best of luck to you and your girl. OTH
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Brodhead CK last week of may 2007/06/17 22:54:18 (permalink)
    OTH

thanks for the tips.  fished the deleware above dingmans, from milford down.  water was way low and only caught about 12 fish.  had to paddle way to much.  then i got caught in a thunder storm for the last 1.5 miles.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Brodhead CK last week of may 2007/06/21 12:52:26 (permalink)
    Riz, sounds like you had a good trip except of the paddling. South winds going up the valley can really slow you down. If you put a SMAll drift sock off the bow of the boat, it gets caught in the downstream current and can help you move along. The thunderstorms in the Del. region have been REALLY dangerous lately. Glad you got out safe.  Did you see anyy shad or muskies cruising around? OTH
    Jump to: