Running line, Shooting line? What The?

Author
johnnyb
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 132
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/29 11:05:00 (permalink)

Running line, Shooting line? What The?

Since my fly line is taking a beating up there I'd like to switch over to a running line set up.  I read an article about a year ago about AirFlo Poly Shoot running line. (a) has anyone used this product? (b) where can it be purchased?  (c) are there any other lines that one can reccomend?

I more or less use the high sticking method when steel head fishing, my current fly line has the first ten feet cut off with various sections of leader matterial attached to a swivel which is then attaced to the tippet of my choice. Since the fly line is not cheap and I must replace it this season due to all the nicks and cuts from rocks, I'm considering Running Line.
Any info you can supply will be greatly appreciated,  Thanks

11 Replies Related Threads

johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    RE: Running line, Shooting line? What The? 2008/10/30 10:19:09 (permalink)
    WOW! not one comment?  am I the only one thinking of this method?

100 people viewed this post   and nothing to say, I dissapointed guys
    Catching Chrome
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Running line, Shooting line? What The? 2008/10/30 12:42:36 (permalink)
    The rule of thumb is that if you want to use a spey rod and not a double taper , go with a WF line 1 size up. I currently use a 7wt WF on my 6wt 12' spey. Watch out using a running line,
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Running line, Shooting line? What The? 2008/10/31 04:40:03 (permalink)
    Most fly fishing catalogs carry many running lines. Which fly shop carries that one I can't help you with. Mono is thinner and cuts the water better than any running line.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Running line, Shooting line? What The? 2008/10/31 05:53:15 (permalink)
    Go w/ the mono setup--You can use less weight that way.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Running line, Shooting line? What The? 2008/10/31 11:05:31 (permalink)
    I had never used a running line before fishing the SR.  Another angler there let me try it on his rod once and I couldn't believe how much more sensitive it was than a fly line.  IMHO you can definately feel the take alot better.  However, be aware that you aren't casting the line any more, you are casting the weight attached to the line.  I have both and use both, depending on the circumstances.
    Catching Chrome
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Running line, Shooting line? What The? 2008/10/31 12:53:27 (permalink)
    If you are you going to use a running line, why not use a spinning rod. The use of the running line at the DSR is basically for lining purposes. I see guys chuck large amounts of weight out where the weight propels the running line and fly. This is not fly fishing it is no different then spin fishing. Thus it is not allowed in the Fly only sections.
    NYFISHER
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Running line, Shooting line? What The? 2008/10/31 13:18:49 (permalink)
    I agree some guys use lots of weight when fishing with fly lines - regardless of type of line.

I use running line with very little weight (or just a weighted fly) and have no problem "casting the line". Granted, you will not be able to cast 50-60feet with it, but IMO there is no need to do that on the Salmon River.

I'd much rather spend $20 to replace a straight taper running line after it gets nicked and scarred on the rocks. I like Cortland brand lines.

Those that are against the use of running line just perpetuate the misnomer that it is used as a lining tool.

Guns don't kill people, fishing lines don't line fish..

johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    RE: Running line, Shooting line? What The? 2008/11/02 11:35:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: NYFISHER

I agree some guys use lots of weight when fishing with fly lines - regardless of type of line.

I use running line with very little weight (or just a weighted fly) and have no problem "casting the line". Granted, you will not be able to cast 50-60feet with it, but IMO there is no need to do that on the Salmon River.

I'd much rather spend $20 to replace a straight taper running line after it gets nicked and scarred on the rocks. I like Cortland brand lines.

Those that are against the use of running line just perpetuate the misnomer that it is used as a lining tool.

Guns don't kill people, fishing lines don't line fish..

My soul purpose for trying the running line setup is to minimize cost as well as the added weight needed to cast a fly line. This set-up will be put on my spare reel and of course I'll still carry my fly-line set up for the days when I am up in the Fly Stretch.

Fishing with spinning gear is not an option for me. Anyone can tie on 30lb test to land a fish! I prefer the experience, and the fight.  Landing that fish is just an added bonus.

thanks for the honest answers
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Running line, Shooting line? What The? 2008/11/02 18:14:53 (permalink)
    I did not respond because I do not use running line, only WFF for my fly fishing. If you shop around you can get very good deals on a fly line.
    A note that caught my eye was spin fishing was not an option.
    I give you all kudos for the passion of your sport, myself when it comes to steelhead I must employ all means to give the best opportunity to target these fish. Fly lines do not cast very well when the temps drop to the teens and single digits. A running line will lessen this problem.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Kingfisher101
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Running line, Shooting line? What The? 2008/11/04 10:50:39 (permalink)
     airflo polyshoot xt is a great product and provide one of the best casts for shooting head systems. they use a polyfuse coating that has super low friction, combined with a thin diameter, the line casts without much effort. if you don't plan on using it with a shooting head, it performs great for chuck & duck but lacks the ability to cast any distance on its own. lazer line is another product you might wanna check out. orvis has a nice runninng line, larger diameter compared to the other that i've just mentioned but is castable with a b shot.
    Randy Jones
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Running line, Shooting line? What The? 2008/12/03 15:47:20 (permalink)
    I use a Cortalnd .022 diameter running line for Steel.
    I use a "    " .030 "      " for Salmon.
    I use specific dia. for each species for specific reason's.
    No time to explain, but it's the best way to go, for many reason's, in my opionion :)
    Best Fish's,
    Randy Jones
    www.yankeeangler.com - Fishing Reports and much more
    Jump to: