Susky and local Harrisburg Waters

Author
rockfish123
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/27 19:27:25 (permalink)

Susky and local Harrisburg Waters

Moved to the area looking for some input on where to go on the susky (general spots obviously) and various lakes, etc...

Thanks alot guys.

11 Replies Related Threads

rockfish123
    New Angler
    RE: Susky and local Harrisburg Waters 2008/10/27 19:28:21 (permalink)
    Oh I'm without boat access at the present time....
    Thanks again for any help fellas.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Susky and local Harrisburg Waters 2008/10/30 15:05:24 (permalink)
    You just looking for bass or trout...
    wrinkleneck30
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Susky and local Harrisburg Waters 2008/10/30 22:49:50 (permalink)

This is me Wrinkle Zimmerman. I caught this hog using a hellgrammitte in the Susquehanna near harrisburg

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
    boatnik13
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Susky and local Harrisburg Waters 2008/10/31 20:12:26 (permalink)
    I e-mailed you rockfish
    rockfish123
    New Angler
    RE: Susky and local Harrisburg Waters 2008/11/01 16:54:53 (permalink)
    Appreciate the replies fellas.  I pretty much will fish for anything but don't know what bodies of water to hit espcially without a boat.  Also, the susky as well as the other rivers/creeks are unknown to me.  I have fished the susky up towards halifax and had 100 fish days but down in the Harrisburg area I haven't quite done as well- more like 3 fish mornings.
    MikeThePike
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Susky and local Harrisburg Waters 2008/11/02 10:12:26 (permalink)
    Don't get discouraged with slow days on the river down that way. The fishing has really started to go downhill over the past 5-10 years from what I've been reading due to many factors; water quality and disease being the two biggest
    jackq
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Susky and local Harrisburg Waters 2008/11/02 21:12:19 (permalink)
    rockfish,

Don't know if you live in H-burg city or one of the outlying communities but when I lived in the Carlisle are I used to fish the river up around Ft. Hunter, down around Middletown, also  Duncannon. Fished Stoney crk up above Dauphin for trout. On the west shore there was West fairview and Goldsboro. Plenty of place to fish the river even without a boat. Again, not sure where you live or how far you're wanting to travel but there are plenty of access areas to the river.
    rockfish123
    New Angler
    RE: Susky and local Harrisburg Waters 2008/11/06 20:18:12 (permalink)
    Thanks Jackq, I live in mid-town so perhaps I will give some of these other spots a shot.

sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Susky and local Harrisburg Waters 2008/11/06 22:35:20 (permalink)
    I've been fishing the Susqy for over 20 years and the smallmouth bass population is at a all time low, at least since the PFBC started keeping young of the year recruitment records.  Here's what going on:  There has not been a positive recruitment class for 9 years.  This has created a situation where as the older, larger fish die off there is no population to replace them. 
    What has created this problem?  The causes are many.  Pollution, a persistent drought/flood cycle during the spring that has wiped out entire year classes (EG>  2004 was wiped out by a flood and 2005 was wiped out by low water that led to a drought that led to a columnaris bacteria infection outbreak), excessive tournament pressure, excessive guides fishing the spawning beds, excessive catch and keep by the lower income "bucket anglers", improper handling techniques by the catch and release anglers.... it goes on and on. 

On the flip side the low population has created a situation where the fish that are in the river have little to no competition for the food resources so they eat at will.  The river has turned into a true trophy fishery.  The fish are big, I mean really mamouth fish, however, you may only 10 or 15 in a trip, unlike in the late 90's where we were routinly having 100 fish days. 

Also, the Walleye have stepped in to fill the void left by the absent smallmouth.  Walleye spawn at a different time and haven't been as effected by the floods.  Plus the PFBC has been stocking eye's for years which has helped.

ONly mother nature can really turn the situation around and allow the weather to facilitate some decent recruitment classes.  BUT the PFBC also needs to declare the entire river from Sunbury to York-Haven a special regulation no harvest area.  That means no harvest and no tournaments.  They also need to close the spring season and stop the bed fishing. 

The smallies will come back but it's going to be a while.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Susky and local Harrisburg Waters 2008/11/07 11:37:53 (permalink)
    sudsy... I totally agree... we had some nice days on the river this year. I was averaging 10-15 smallies a trip. But they were all 15-19". Other places I've done awesome for small mouth is Swatara Creek.. if you have a canoe there are some places I can show you that don't see any pressure at all and we caught some dandys out of there this summer. Another is the Conodoguinet... not a huge amount of fish in most parts of this creek but the ones that are there are really nice. It's easily wadable but very rocky with deep holes and drop offs everywhere so be careful.

There's the hydro dam at York Haven.. could be a little tricky to find at first. And conowago creek comes into the river right there. You can catch most everything at the dam. There's a cat walk you can walk along the dam and fish. We did really well for cat fish and walleyes there. Get a drop net if you plan on fishing for monster cats. Realized it's a good 15-20' to the water and I don't think you're gonna heave a 10+lb cat over that. Believe me I learned the hard way(thanks to the guys that helped me out on that one).

For trout Stony is ok..and there's also Clarks creek. Which has a fly fishing only C & R zone that has some monstorous trout in there. It gets stocked 2 times a year also so you could imagine.

If you get The Patriot News on fridays in the Sports section there is a fishing report. You can get a decent idea as to what's going on in the river, as most of the guide services report in there. Sometimes I think it's all BS.. they always report 30-40 fish days. I'm sure it's possible but not from what I've seen and experienced.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Susky and local Harrisburg Waters 2008/11/07 11:39:06 (permalink)
    Rock.. I fish 2-3 days a week when there's light... hard now with work till 5, but PM me if you want to get out.

Tim
    Jump to: