Bamboo Brookies and Bears Oh My

Author
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/25 21:54:32 (permalink)

Bamboo Brookies and Bears Oh My

A few of you guys knew that I had the honor of being the recipient of one of Jack's {Indguiz) Fully restored Bamboo rods at last years One Fly Competition...   I have waited over a year for the right time to break it out and found that time This week...     We got in Camp on Thursday afternoon.  Brian and Brad left right away to see if they could scrape up some fresh backstrap...   After they left I set up camp and decided to hit the stream...  I didn't take the Boo that day since I only had a little daylight left....  I didn't land any fish Thursday but that will change tomorrow I told myself.....     Friday morning the guys left camp well before daylight to see again if they could find some Fresh Backstraps.... (See a pattern emerging yet?  LOL)..  After they left i sat on the porch in that rocking chair that has been sat in for many generations for about an hour  Yea it was cold...  Just as I saw the first rays of daylight streaming thru the trees down the hollow I got geared up for an all day fishing excursion..  I opted to carry my little 2 WT Since I had a long walk ahead of me..  Once I made it to the first creek I wanted to fish I was not surprised to find no fish at all ..  Water levels on this stream looked real low last night..  I walked for a while then stopped to take a few Pictures..                                                             After about an hour I decided to start at the mouth of my favorite Brookie Stream and see what it held for me..   I started out with some tiny ant patterns had no takers only a few looks...I worked my way slowly up stream and decided to change things up going larger.   I tied on a size 14 hott butt Caddis and on the first cast I was rewarded with this Skinny little guy                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I made it back to camp about 2 or so ..  Sat on that old rocker for a while eating a light lunch..   The time has come I said to myself..  BREAK OUT THE BOO!!!!!!!!!!!!   I got the Boo rigged up and headed out the door and hit the stream right were I left off about an hour ago..  I walked a while and found the perfect spot to take the Boo's Virginity..  I sat there for a minute tying on just the right fly                                                                                                                          On the first cast the fly landed on the water just above the rock I suspected to be the home of one of North central Pennsylvania's finest Brookies..   the fly started its drift then the water swirled just as I had hoped and the outcome was less then spectacular but it was Beautiful in my eyes...                                        After releasing that beautiful Brookie I walked upstream landing a few more fish on "THE BOO"            All told I think I ended up with 18 fish that day but the best one was the one that took the Boo's Virginity  Thanks Jack You have no Idea what that meant to me......                                                             Saturday Morning we were met with a constant downpour so we elected to drive back home to rest up for the Tournament tomorrow............                       You're probably saying to yourself  Where dose the Bear come in?    Ask one member of our party who had one within 6 feet of him Friday while searching for those Back straps   Which we never got  ...  But thanks to last weeks hunt we still had Back straps for dinner           
post edited by Skip16503 - 2008/10/25 21:56:34

6 Replies Related Threads

flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Bamboo Brookies and Bears Oh My 2008/10/25 23:05:42 (permalink)
    Awesome pics skip. Truly defines the Pennnsylvania wilderness right there.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Bamboo Brookies and Bears Oh My 2008/10/26 00:32:28 (permalink)
    Skip,
         It's great to know the old thing still works as intended.   Although those fish didn't challenge the rod.  How did it cast and handle the line?   We have got to do the boo on Spring Creek some day.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Bamboo Brookies and Bears Oh My 2008/10/26 10:25:50 (permalink)
    I,m in.!
    Great read Skip. I,ll be glad when I,m done with this project(close) so I can head up to camp.
    May make it by Friday.?

sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Bamboo Brookies and Bears Oh My 2008/10/26 12:12:59 (permalink)
    nice pics makes me wanna go to camp and catch some of the natives
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Bamboo Brookies and Bears Oh My 2008/10/26 16:23:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Skip,
        It's great to know the old thing still works as intended.   Although those fish didn't challenge the rod.  How did it cast and handle the line?   We have got to do the boo on Spring Creek some day.
      Jack  To br honest I didn't give it a proper workout  most casts were less then 20 feet.....  But let me tell you it caught fish   Felt like it wanted more for sure  It will get plenty of workouts though

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Bamboo Brookies and Bears Oh My 2008/10/26 20:17:55 (permalink)
    Man, these kinda posts are awesome. Thanks skip for the great read and pics!
    Jump to: