Author
livhard
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/23 02:32:56 (permalink)

Fishing steelhead from the boat

Hello all.....

I live in west county and usually put my '16 in at Elk, however the mouth has been closed most of the season. I heard that the PFC had a machine there and opened the mouth. Does anyone know if it is in fact now open? Deep enough to get a boat out? Thank you for any help you can provide.

2 Replies Related Threads

steelhead4ever
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Fishing steelhead from the boat 2008/10/23 02:42:51 (permalink)
    Anyone ever consider throwing some flies from the boat in front of the mouths for steel? I would imagine if you can get the right presentation with a emerald shiner patter good things would happen if the fish are there.....all the room in the world to actually cast as well, we all know that doesnt happen to often for steel. Anyone ever try it?
    livhard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Fishing steelhead from the boat 2008/10/23 12:45:41 (permalink)
    Last year was the first season I fished for steelhead. I had a very small '14 w/10hp. I would put in at Elk and anchor about 100 - 200 yards off the mouth and cast small spoons. I did very well for a firsttimer. Now I have a bigger, wider boat and want to go at it again. Most of the summer the mouth was too shallow to pass a boat through the mouth into the lake. As I said, someone told me the PFC "opened" the mouth a couple of weeks ago and I wondered if it is deep enough to get a boat through. Need about 2 1/2 to 3 feet of clearence.
    Jump to: