a walleye story anyone?

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/22 20:03:20 (permalink)

a walleye story anyone?

I want to try night fishing from shore before the freeze.. thinking whitney point res. but it is a 400mile round trip and than the freezing nights might not be such a good idea.. i got to think about this.. maybe just a day into the night ,,bring a sleeping bag and my insulated coveralls and parka? probably ain;t worth it maybe the ashokan and esopus instead this weekend i think.. van always try spooning trout too at the roundout

12 Replies Related Threads

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/10/23 01:29:34 (permalink)
    Ain't any colder than ice fishing. Get out there fella.

I've read in numerous places that Oneida is hot from shore this time of year.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/10/23 22:14:10 (permalink)
    you're absolutely right hook, my only fishing partner is too busy next few weekends.. I got to get up there and try.. I mentioned here I caught a nice 10.5lb channel on a floated shiner using 8lb. mono from shore early during a solo overnight this summer at wp, about 4am off the bridge ramp their had it weighed at the baitshop and released it..****ed i had no camera and the bs had no camera either.. onieda we trolled up walleyes too this june.but i do not know about chancing that far looking for eyes on so huge a lk..I do not know any places up there to stay either this time of year .. too far and long a drive for eye.  furthest I'll go it alone is whitney again cause it is small with plenty of shore spots to spin and live line. Maybe a day and a half there and back down to roundout if so try esopus  and than maybe ashokan.. bing bang boom back home. I would like to push 500miles for a good last fall fishing trip.My tundra rides smooth like a catillac and got the tunes.. ! Hey got me a new digital camera with tripod i'm bringing this time to show off whatever.
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/10/23 23:07:57 (permalink)
    than maybe ashokan.. bing bang boom back home. I would like to push 500miles for a good last fall fishing trip.My tundra rides smooth like a catillac

Let me know how you do if you hit the Ashokan, have you targeted eyes there before ? I have only went after smallies ....

and i too have a Tundra, awesome truck !!!
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/10/23 23:08:56 (permalink)
    Back, if you're interested, and can make it during the week, I could meet up with you at Whitney. I'm off next Wednesday and Thursday. I've never been there, and don't know the area, but it sounds like you do. Let me know if you're interested.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/10/23 23:55:00 (permalink)
    Brian, I haven't caught a walleye in that ashokan in a long time. I only caught one eye in the fall there too and that was some 4  -5 years ago along the wall on lower basin casting a rapala at night.. only a 20 in.. many years ago it was better but still they were hard to find .. the best way for shokan eye then was in the 45-50ft on bottom off the shoals with sawbellies. We took some like that in the spring while they migrate out from the shovel cut in the lower basin during may.  spring time seemed always better for the eye  along the weir.  I read WP res is lowered but still thinking I might want to try it with bait one rod and rapala the other.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/10/24 00:28:59 (permalink)
    Hook, I have to be here next week during wed thurs. ,  but this is what I can say about Whitney point,it  is relatively new to me , been there about 5 times over the last couple years.  I brought my 2hp yahama there ,me and a friend  trolled using park boat rentals.. I learned a bit of the lake..but those days in the summer the bite was off.  the res is  clean shallow with a 10 to 20 ft wide stream bed  hugging the north side dam is the west about 5 miles long to east inlet. the channel runs about 15 to 20ft deep.. they have an access maintainence rd. and this dirt road runs along that whole river channel shoreline and it is easy shorline fishing.. below the dam is a unique eye fishery too not sure in the fall though ..15 in. is the limit below the dam 4 fish limit above it is 18min. 3 fish.. I may even pass on WP and just go esopus/a shokan this weekend.. hopefully we can someday meet though I know I have to be aroung this wed thurs for sure.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/10/24 16:45:57 (permalink)
    Like did you ever get put on hold calling the internal revenue and have to listen to "swan"music waiting for a real person to pick up?sheeesh! lol
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/10/25 14:25:06 (permalink)
    Well, I called it off.. had too much numb juice last night.. had me a huge breakfast and noticed although warm, the wind seemed to be picking up, I read catskills weather and knew it would be nasty either stream or lake. So it is a good day to stay with family this saturday.. Was thinking of trying somewhere on the delaware for eye this am.. seen that lackawaxen video on youtube.. that's on the way up so i may try that first after the weather breaks.. man this economy blows, i am not getting much in the way of work but i'm just going to fish..and hopefully work will pick up before the holiday season. GLTA  yoh jimmy what you pass out yesterday, i had too many anyway 
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/10/26 21:33:40 (permalink)
    Hey Backin...

Sorry man, I am in Houston right now on business...

Missed your note until it was too late...  I am here in Texas until Tuesday, but will be back after the walleye later in the week, and for several more thereafter.

We will work something out next time you are up this way.

Anyone else finding any fish around Albany?  Anyone want to hit the Salmon River for browns and chromers in a few weeks?  I hear the browns are in there full-force, and a few weeks early this year.

Lots of 7-10lb fish, with a few 15+lb fish each day.  That's hard to beat, Gentleman!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/10/28 09:56:17 (permalink)
    Jimmy not a problem ! fishing will be just another great american passtime when we find the time. Hey, got back from ashokan last night brian.. yesterday morning left late..arrived around 11am at the old tremper bridge.. water still off color and high..passed those two pool up..went north just below the portal.. caught released first cast  one 10" brown on a small rap.  rain was light so i checked out the chimney hole.. too much water and driftwood.. i made a good many casts, no takes. fished the EOD into the night at the res divider and nodda got outta there 10pm wind rain. 
    post edited by backin79 - 2008/10/28 10:50:34
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/11/03 09:14:33 (permalink)
    jimmy, whatcha doing on catskill flies message board? The esopus is diffinitely not for everyone, it is a challenging, even for the persistant locals.  For me, t is still a precious place in the fall especially around the halloween weekends. Although the odds are far between for hooking a runner, a good many thesE BT do run and tagging along the lake bows. For me, it is a  hit or miss, I do want to try it again..the esopus run has in recent years beome much more a challenge to time. My guess is the runs a much smaller compared to those years long ago.    Experience suggests the run lasts about a two week period , much shorter and less fish from years of neglect amd over fishing. Those monster floods over the last few years could not have helped this fishery either. Still, a beautiful water to enjoy and should hold a few in this high water from recent rains/snow runoffs. I do not recommend wading in turbid water.. seen a fool in chestwaders try crossing and he went down just below the old trestle last time he made it out but wet. Hip wading is more than enough for this pocket water fishing.
    post edited by backin79 - 2008/11/03 09:17:19
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: a walleye story anyone? 2008/11/10 18:33:36 (permalink)
    NJ, sent you im reply , anyway was at the ashokan first half hr there around 11am sat. kicked to shore a roe about 4lb. using a 3/8 croc..but that was it! next day was even tougher! lol , i really want to ice fish up there this season! gl
    post edited by backin79 - 2008/11/10 18:35:09
    Jump to: