snaggers who think its fun

Author
minifou6
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/22 08:55:38 (permalink)

snaggers who think its fun

went to erie on sun and monday creeks were low and clear started at manchester on sun and had a few on but got off. not to many other people catching many very challenging, the undercover fish commision was there he got 2 steelie and he was checking licenses and there was was kid he had a license and no trout stamp he took him to the office. so than on monday started on elk no fish they moved up and only caught one there, than went beack to manchester well this is were it get good

as we were fishing manchester no was really catching many a few now and than there was a kid across from us and he was using a fly rod and he was catching fish every miniute, well to find out that is fly rod was set up with just a hook and a very large sinker and he would scope out witch fish he wanted and snag them we all started jacking him by saying when someone caught a fish fair hooked in the mouth that fish is legal, but he did not seem to care he continued to snag fish after fish how does someone travel all that way to think snagging fish is a fun way to catch fish. that is really sad and that is not very fun not a real fisherman. that snagging puts such a stress on that fish and its sad. someone needs to get a hook and snag him and see how it feels.

i dont understand were the undercover cop was to bust his****and i know there is a poachers number but i here they  do not responed that quickly. we just kept jacking the kid and he finally put something on to try to catch fish. he went to a jig and he finally faired hooked a fish.

this kid was acting like a girl and he would stand with a femine posture and scope out witch fish he was gonna snag. this snagging goes on constanly and when you snag a fish you are to cut youre line immedialty to prevent stress to the fish i would rather loose my lure than to torture and mess up everyone fishing just to try to land a foul hooked fish

18 Replies Related Threads

joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 09:12:20 (permalink)
    What exactly do you expect to accomplish by posting this here?  Call the numbers or report it to the office when it happens.  Posting about it here does nothing.  As far as catching fish legally...if you can't pull in fish after fish at Manchester in the mouth you're doing something wrong.  I stopped fishing there when I realized 20-50 fish days there could hardly be considered fishing. 
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 09:27:58 (permalink)
    I'm not sure cutting your line would be the answer on a foul hooked fish. It seems to me that would do the enviroment more harm than the fish not to mention what if the fish gets entangled in debri in the stream then it cant swim or eat! Then what if a duck get tangled in the line it cant fly! What if the fishing line gets tangled around someones boat prop? Could cost the boat owner $1000.00 to reseal lower unit. What if the Fish Commission seen you cutting your line? is that littering? Amazes me that anyone would watch a person do this and not call the authorities or at least say something to them about what there doing. How about some cell phone video for the authorities when they get there this would help to get them fined! This is not the place to resolve the problem it's a little to late now. You should keep the phone numbers with you for the fish commission they do normally respong quickly if there is not a more important problem at that time.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 10:38:45 (permalink)
    I am sure I will get creamed for this......I wont cut my line either. I have seen too many one legged geese/ducks, and dead fish tied to a log from the line. I play the fish in as fast as I can, borderline horsing him in, I get my rig out, release the fish.
    post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2008/10/22 10:39:23

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 10:51:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: joebaker79

As far as catching fish legally...if you can't pull in fish after fish at Manchester in the mouth you're doing something wrong.  I stopped fishing there when I realized 20-50 fish days there could hardly be considered fishing. 

Joebaker doesn't call it fishing, as fishing implies the chance of failure...  Joebaker goes catching.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 10:52:00 (permalink)
    Fishing the Manchester hole at this time of year is mainly sight fishing. You are probably able to see where you're fly is at. So foul hook ups should be at a minimum. I understand that it does happen though with the number of fish that are in there.

You see your float go under and you instinctivly set the hook. Instead try lifting your rod, if you feel the head shake set the hook. If you feel a pull your probably foul hooked. Just flip your line and most of the time it will come off the fish. Last time I was up I didn't foul hook one fish doing this and could have multiple times.

In regards to the snaggers there are ways to deal with them. Call a WCO or say something to them. If they persist or get confrontational def. call a WCO. We had two kids by us just like described by the OP and we told them to knock that **** off. They did but I'm sure they just went somewhere else to do their thing.

Comes down to it some people are just a**holes and don't care. If enough of us "sportsmen" stand up we can make a difference.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 12:19:31 (permalink)
    You are correct.  What happened to your Red Sox photo Smallie?  That's right.  Go Phils.
    seejib
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 13:37:11 (permalink)
    I have often wondered, what the heck would you want to snagg steel for? Ahhh...... is it like road hunting, easy pickins? I managed 1 day to fish last week and 1 fish on but foul hooked. I the hook out of her tail and she swam off. I hated it cause it would have been a good one for the smoker. The rest of that day was spent scouting.
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 14:05:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: minifou6

when you snag a fish you are to cut youre line immedialty to prevent stress to the fish i would rather loose my lure than to torture and mess up everyone fishing just to try to land a foul hooked fish

Right, NEVER cut your line.   The way I rig my gear I can usually count on breaking off my line at the hook by a good yank while the fish is deep in the water.  I only do that when I am fishing with a bunch of other people at a place like Manchester or Legion Hole.  Last week I never even took a peek at the access areas and this Saturday I doubt I'll get north of 20.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 14:16:27 (permalink)
     welcome to the "jungle" Minifoo, LOL

fellas, maybe he meant "break" off instead of "cut" off?
    and if i understand his post, folks did tell the kid to straighten up and fly right

personally, I'm of the opinion you should try to haul in a foul hooked fish and remove the hook.
    Can't good for the steelie with all the jewelry I see hanging off some.
    It also makes 'em more likely to get fouled over and over too, cause line/tippets  won't glide over/around  them

if you're the heavy line/heavy hook type angler, it's not terribly hard to haul in an "average" sized steelie.

and honestly, I don't know if yanking around a fair hooked steelie by  the jaw is any less stressful/harmful/painful than being yanked in hooked somewhere else

..L.T.A.

schlemoc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 14:26:38 (permalink)
    Back in september a guy was using a handline in one of the holes.  Someone went and got the WCO to check it out.  It was mildly amusing listening to the guy stammer about how he didnt think he needed a license and that he had no identification.  Almost as amusing as imagining him trying to land steel on a handline with bare hands.  People do crazy things.  Manchester hole is notorious for it.  Go above the hole to get away from the mess or carry the number on you.  My father and I always made a point to let the individual know we knew it was illegally caught, and that they should release it.  Except for one individual using a 4" Cleo, they always released the fish.  PXATim hits the topic on the head. 
    post edited by schlemoc - 2008/10/22 14:27:37
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 18:40:03 (permalink)
    Its a real shame to see someone doing that. You ,meaning all good and honest fishermen and women,should speak up to anyone you see doing that. If you carry a cell phone store the wco numbers and call in the problem. Like someone said before take a video on your phone if capable for proof. If a warden were to show up the problem might get solved.
     This past sunday i had a great day fishing 20 mile. I caught a fish with 3 flys in it, not including my hook in her mouth. She looked like a X-mass tree with all the colors. I pulled out a streamer on her pec fin , a bugger in her tail and an egg pattern fly in her dorsal fin. I released her free of all the bulbs and lights. I sure she swims more easily now. I know it happens some times, ive accidentaly snagged a fish or 2 before but she sure was a target. If i foul hook a fish i try to bring it in as fast as i can and release it as unharmmed as possible. Thats my take on the matter. Tight lines and good fishing to all.
    aceboogie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 19:24:50 (permalink)
    how in the world can you stand there and watch this "feminine" a**hole continue to do this. I fault you for not taking matters into your own hands or at the very least harrassing the hell out of him unitl he couldn't take no more. Man up dude!

"say when..."
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 19:33:26 (permalink)
    Get used to it its a part of fishing the erie tribs and it wont change soon.  U will always have people that do this been fishing it for yrs, it  will never change unless 100 percent enforcement  is applyed.  And what the fish comm, says they dont have enough funds to put an officer in every hole??????
    TB
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 247
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 19:48:23 (permalink)
    Is it wrong that I read this topic and immediately thought of Tippy and Heater..?
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/22 23:41:48 (permalink)
    Erie is nothing compared to New York,there the majority does it and the fisherman is the minority.
    minifou6
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/23 00:04:01 (permalink)
    just so every one is aware i was jacking him and harrasing him and than he finnally put a lure on and fair hooked a few fish we all were jacking him and i now have the poachers number and i am turning any one in foul hooking a fish i understand there are accidents but the so called want be fisherman i am gonna police the streams. and maybe you are right about cutting the line i see the point but i just dont feel that is right. we true fisherman know how to fish and than you get the ones who dont and think its fun and proud to catch fish like that it just upsets
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/23 12:16:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TB

Is it wrong that I read this topic and immediately thought of Tippy and Heater..?

Yes

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Catching Chrome
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: snaggers who think its fun 2008/10/23 12:23:32 (permalink)
    I have to back TB on this one. Are you sure it wasn't Tippee-toe, He lives for snagging at the Manchester Hole. Last time we say him there carhart pushed him in the water!!! It was payback for all those sore A's on them native fish.
    Jump to: