Question about flies

Author
PanfishSlayer
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 141
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/20 17:34:41 (permalink)

Question about flies

I'm curious as to where one can purchase quality flies from.  As is, I am a spin fisherman and have no real intent on changing that.  That being said, I do know what works and what I have caught fish on, and generally speaking my best luck is with flies. 

Last Saturday I was up twenty mile with some buddies and caught a hell of a lot of fish and lost a good amount of fish too.  These were all on flies, but my problem is with the quality of the flies themselves.  They were all purchased at Gander Mountain and worked, but I had to re-bend the hooks multiple times, and that just sucks.  You know, it makes you think, if I hook and catch a 9lbs fish and THAT bends the hook, what would a 12lb fish do...my guess is that I would loose it....

So my question is, is there anywhere I can purchase flies tied on quality hooks, or is that a kind of pipe-dream?

12 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/20 17:45:53 (permalink)
    tie yourself with quality materials
    or
    you get what you pay for

fishusa
    people who make this site possible
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/20 19:15:50 (permalink)
    loosen your drag

KJ mentioned  this site for flies.
    click on the banner ad above and go to fisherie tackle shop

you'll find plenty to choose from

..L.T.A.

Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/20 19:29:13 (permalink)
    I had the same problem this weekend with what I thought were quality sucker spawn flys bought from a reputable dealer. You say loosen your drag, that might be OK if you had some open water to fight the fish and didn't have to worry much about keeping 8-10 other people from fishing for 15 min. or longer. I was using 9.2 pound test floro. and I bent 4 hooks and lost fish. These were size 10 sucker spawn. I use those thin wire red hooks size 14 & 16 and rarely bend a hook. 

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/20 19:43:28 (permalink)

As KJH said tie them yourself, for the most part steelhead flys are simple. You dont need a big investment to do most of these flys. A cheap vise and tieing kit will keep you happy for a while. You will be suprised at how many flies you can tie for a fraction of the price. Once you get into it then it can get expensive.

post edited by rollcaster - 2008/10/20 19:44:57
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/20 19:48:25 (permalink)

I just noticed I moved up to a novice angler , fishin is easy!!

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/20 21:02:49 (permalink)
    you can teach yourself to tie glo bugs, sucker spawns, and generic nymphs all in one hour
    go on youtube... TONS of videos to teach yourself

buy 1 pack of crystal flash and 1 pack of glo bug yarn and you will have enough material for 5 seasons!
    until you get addicted

PM me... I have TONS of links saved for tying instruction, as I never took any classes

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/21 00:25:40 (permalink)
    **Deleted**

• Use of the board to promote other commercial web sites or tackle shops, or web sites or tackle shops which compete with the FishUSA.com, FishErie.com or FishSalmonRiver.com web sites is prohibited.
    post edited by mikeg - 2008/10/21 14:40:23
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/21 07:13:58 (permalink)
    I too started as a spin fisherman on the tribs and I still do spin on occasssion. I also was tired on paying  $1 a piece for flies. I went out and bought a cheap vise from a catalog with all of the tools and soon learned how to tie just about all of the patterns you would need for steelheading.(Thanks Egg-Sac for teaching me) Sucker spawn, glow bugs, egg patterns, woolley buugers, crystal buggers, Crystal spawn(meth), egg sucking leaches,Marabou jigs, San Jauan worms etc.... Its easy, and a lot more affordable. I even got to the point where I was selling flies at work to guys and also to the local bait shops in my area. For about $50-60 you can get a cheaper vise and all of the materials you would need to tie several years worth of flies. If you like it and want to upgrade your vise you can do so later. I have a nice vise now and a rolltop desk that I keep everything in and I just like tying. Plus when you tie your own its a little more special when you catch a fish on them. I remeber my first fish a bluegill on one of my own flies and it was pretty cool. You can also buy a lot of the same materials used for these flies at craft stores, a lot cheaper than at a fly shop.
    Just my thoughts.  

But you should check out FISHUSA.com  1st !!!!!!!!
    post edited by JEB - 2008/10/21 15:01:18
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/21 07:21:24 (permalink)
    PanfishSlayer
    **Edited by moderator**
      I personally like to see products before I buy them.  And I tie my own, I like the feeling that I caught a fish on something I made with my own two hands.

If you bend a hook on a fish change flies.  In my experiance a bent hook will bend easier the next time if you have bent it back into shape.
    post edited by mikeg - 2008/10/21 14:42:31
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/21 14:26:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 350Z&Steelheads

PanfishSlayer
    **edited by moderator**
    .  I personally like to see products before I buy them.  And I tie my own, I like the feeling that I caught a fish on something I made with my own two hands.

If you bend a hook on a fish change flies.  In my experiance a bent hook will bend easier the next time if you have bent it back into shape.

**Edited by moderator**
    Some places have thier own hand tied flies for sale. Such as, **Edited** in Pittsburgh, their flies are expensive, but they're worth it.
    post edited by mikeg - 2008/10/21 14:44:24
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/21 14:46:34 (permalink)
    Sorry guys...I know you were trying to help out with the poster's qustion, but we can't post about competitor's of FishUsa.com!

If you'd like to name a place or two to help another out, please do so with PM.

Thanks for your understanding!

• Use of the board to promote other commercial web sites or tackle shops, or web sites or tackle shops which compete with the FishUSA.com, FishErie.com or FishSalmonRiver.com web sites is prohibited.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Question about flies 2008/10/21 15:15:40 (permalink)
    I bought a good numbers of nymphs from Fishusa last year.
    I've been very happy with them and put mucho fish on the end of my line

Wally Cat, here's a technique I used when I was fishing with spin reel that may help with "bendy" hooks.
    (I used it cause I typically used light line, so I'm sure it will work with "bendy" hooks)

I had my drag set just enough to get a decent hook set, once I hooked a fish, I loosened the drag a bit more and used my fingers on the spool to control drag.
    It allowed me to "adjust" drag, if you will, and more effectively control the pressure needed.
    I really didn't notice it took me all that much longer to land a fish

It's similar to how I and many palm the drag on a fly reel

..L.T.A.
    Jump to: