Author
pitt100
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/20 11:15:00 (permalink)

Recipe help

Did some searching around and couldn't find what I exactly want:

I'm looking for a simple brine for smoking steelhead/salmon that doesn't include anything sweet like maple syrup or brown sugar.  Reason is I want to add it to pasta and stuff but I'm not too keen on the sweet taste.  I'm more of a hot or cajun flavor person myself.  Any help would be appreciated.

Pitt 

8 Replies Related Threads

joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Recipe help 2008/10/20 13:54:49 (permalink)
    Brown sugar won't sweeten the fish.  If you use both kosher salt and brown sugar you will never taste salty or sweet fish.  Just good smoked fish.  I use 1 part salt to 4 parts dark brown sugar.  Rub this on both sides of filet, put skin side up in foil in fridge for 24 hours.  Then wash off all sugar and salt, and dry.  After drying smoke.  You will never taste anything but smoked fish.  Plus Brown sugar will improve color.  With this dry brine you will get as good a cure as you can possibly get. 

Sugar and salt cure the fish, the do not flavor it.  Unless you leave it on. 
    pitt100
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Recipe help 2008/10/20 14:24:20 (permalink)
    Thanks Joe.  I wasn't sure.  That helps.

Pitt
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Recipe help 2008/10/20 15:34:32 (permalink)
    Salt water until an egg floats soak over night and smoke make sure your heat is up to 250 F. for 1 hour.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Recipe help 2008/10/20 15:49:29 (permalink)
    I have to disagree with the last post.  A dry sugar/salt brine is superior to a wet brine.  You will see a major difference in the quality before it goes in the smoker and after.  Do not get your heat up to 250.  It will cook and barely get any smoke flavor.  It will taste like you grilled it for 10 minutes.  Not what you are going for when you smoke fish.  Granted you won't be cold smoking unless you plan on smoking fish for days on end.  But you can hot smoke at 150 for 2-6 hours depending on how much fish you are putting in.  Even 8 hours for a whole steelhead.  You want the fish to absorb smoke and go through the process. If it gets too hot it will cook quickly and then you may as well take it out because it will not absorb any more smoke flavor.  If you want real bland fish go that route, but good hot smoked fish needs as low a temp as you can get out of your smoker and time.  I've had fish that was smoked too quickly and at 200-250....it tasted like cigarette butts or like a baked filet with liquid smoke poured on.  

1 more thing, do not use regular iodized table salt.  Canning/pickling salt, Kosher salt, even sea salt are all options for you.  No table salt though. 
    pafishingirl
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Recipe help 2008/10/20 17:24:22 (permalink)
    what we use here is 3 little bottles of liquid smoke quarter cup of lemon juice alittle soy sauce some old bay (depends on your taste on how much to add) .Add salt water untill you can make an egg float in it. Soak it for atleast 12 hours smoke anywhere between 130 to 180 for about 3-5 hours depending on the size of the peice. Ive tried it with brown sugar and it turns out to sweet for mixing with other foods for me.
    fryem
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: Recipe help 2008/10/22 18:56:42 (permalink)
    If you like store bought "lox" try this as it is way better first do a search for Gravlax for ideas. I use two steelhead filets with skin on. Mix equals amounts of pickling salt & white sugar e.g. 1 cup salt 1 cup of sugar plus .1/4 cup coarse ground black pepper or more and 1/8 cup or so of dry dill  mix together in bowl this is your dry cure, you may need more dry mix you want both filets flesh side covered competely. After coating both filets place aginst each other and wrap in plastic wrap place wrapped package of fish in glass baking pan long enough to hold the wrapped package. cover baking dish with foil and set 5 pound weight on top of foil put in fridge then in 24 hrs open package take the accumulated liquid and drizzle all over the skin side leave the rest of the liquid in the plastic wrap flip package and repeat one more time 24 hrs later on third day drain liquid and get rid of plastic wrap recover baking dish & filets with the foil and put back in fridge one more day on 4th day drain any liquid & scrap curing mixture from fish so you have a clean filet
    At this point do a search on eating and serving gravlax if you like somke flavor take cured filets and COLD smoke for a couple of hrs using a fruit wood apple cherry etc. do not let fish go above 70 to 80 degrees.
    I have a char griller Brand grill with a side firebox this allowws me to keep the grill cold and have the smoke pass over the fish.

I hope that my directions are clear if not PM me  once you try this you will be keeping your 3 fish per day

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Recipe help 2008/10/22 19:18:58 (permalink)
    Here is mine try it if you like. Real easy too. Thaw fish overnight if frozen , soak wood chips for at least 2 hours or overnight. Start smoker. If fish is fresh pat dry with paper towels before you put in smoker. Lay fish on racks, sprinkle kosher salt to taste, use any dryrub seasoning you want and sprinkle on to taste. I use cajun , lemonpepper and pepper and garlic for my 3 favorites. Heres the KEY , cook slow in smoker at low heat 100 to 150 for 4 to 6 hours depending on how dry you want it to be after cooked. I like to cook for 5 1/2 hours. Constantly keeping the heavy smoke going. Like joebaker said you want the fish to absorb the smoke. UMMM   UMMM  GOOD. So check it for smoke and if no smoke add more wood chips. I use mesquite or hickory chips. Enjoy.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Recipe help 2008/10/23 08:12:26 (permalink)
    Alton Brown home smoked a salmon on good eats. it looked fantastic, and he smoked it in a cardboard box.  check out foodnetwork.com, it will be on there somewhere.  smoked fish is a reason in itself to build a real smoke house.  i cant wait til im a lil older and own a place instead of rent!
    Jump to: