Whats so great & addicting?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
MikeThePike
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 09:10:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Cold

And as far as the rivers out west...if three fish for an entire day is a GREAT day, then I'm glad I dont live there.  I can drive 15 minutes and catch 3 trout in about another 15 on a GREAT day.

You have to remember one thing about out west. Those fish cover 1000s of miles and fight currents their entire lives. A jack steelie will tow around any steelie swimming in the great lakes with ease. Plus the possibility of a 30#+ steelie is always there. I have friends in AK that have landed dozens well over 20# over the years. I'd trade all the Erie steelies for a shot at just getting to tangle with 1 20#+ brute outta the Pacific.

Plus, you hafta realize how spoiled any trout bum out here is where the state dumps 1000s in any ditch on the side of the road. I don't even go out for stocked trout because they present no challenge until they've been in the rivers for months. You can throw 20# line at em and size 2 & 4 hooks and still catch a limit without even really trying. If they didn't stock em, would it still be enjoyable? Most people just don't get any enjoyment out of 5-7" wild brookies but without the stockings thats what the trout fishing would be. Sure, you'd get the occasional fish at 10"+ but they'd be few and far between.

Last year was my first in Erie. I went in mid November when the creeks were still trickles and didn't even get to play with a fish. Hell, any hole had 5x the fishermen than fish. I said it wasn't for me until I started talking with a lot of diehard steelheaders who all told me the same thing. Come in the dead of winter. Spent a week in Jan and let me tell you, what a difference. Went from hooking 0 fish all day while shoulder to shoulder to seeing only a handfull of guys and easily hooking 20-30+ each day.
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 09:29:11 (permalink)
Each person has their own reasons for fishing for whatever fish they find enjoyable to catch.  Personally, I like to fish for steelies.  I like to tie steelie flies, walking the streams, looking for fish, hooking up, etc... I guess if you are looking for the "pure" experience of catching wild Alaskan steelhead, Erie will never be that.  It is what it is. 

If you don't like fishing for steelies in the local streams, then don't do it.  

pax vobiscum +
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 09:31:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: screamin_reels

Hello All!

This is my second year catching steelhead. Maybe I should rephrase...second year but this is the first year I actually caught some steelies. So far, I have caught 7 and had about 10 hookups. I enjoy it but I don't get as excited as some of the folks here and while fishing. I recall many people on here saying that I would be addicted and want to go everyday. But the thing is, I do not see why as catching a steelie is fun but I thought it would be "funnier" and fight a lot more. I am not sure if I was getting my hopes up but honestly it is not all that great. Here is how I picture it...sit or standing there for 8 or so hours and only land 2 to 3 fish in that long of a period! MAybe if I was landing like 20 or so steelhead it would be much more enjoyable. Not to discuss anyone but I would honestly rather be bass or perch fishing. At least I catch a lot of fish and bass give a great fight. I hope this post does not offend anyone but honestly I enjoy steelheading but it would be much greater if it was like catching fish I just mentioned. It is honestly not all that fun just sitting there and spinning or drifting for hours and catching 2 - 3 fish. MAybe I am just in denial but honestly the fighting of a steelhead is not all that great. It would be the same thing if I sat there all day for hours on end and caught 2 -3 bass. Anyone understand or feel the same as me???

Then maybe it's not for you. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9682
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 09:43:49 (permalink)

while the experience was certainly intense, each time out, there have been things that soured the day as well.  From the lack of action to the idiots I've come across at all places on the streams.  It really seems like you have to be willing to put up with alot of bull to do this, then when you get that fish youve been waiting for, you cant even enjoy the fight, because you've got to land it as fast as possible so you dont offend anyone.

This sums up the Erie tribs to me.

I used to make 10+ trips per year.  The last 4-5 years, have made it 1-2 times per year if any.  I've had the 15+ fish days, and the skunkings.  Everything that you said above, will just increase with the "better" conditions.  The fish will spread out, but you will see this same ignorance 20 miles upstream.  Instead of 20 guys crowding a hole, holding 100 fish, it is 10 guys crowding a hole holding 50 fish, or 5 guys crowding a hole that you would normally fish without a 100 yard distraction.  There isn't any other place in the state that you can consistantly catch such large scrappy fish, in a relatively beautiful environment.  So, I fully understand the addiction factor.  Just like anywhere, if you put the time in, you'll find those spots where you can avoid the crowds.  If you learn to fish the runs and rapids, you'll avoid a ton of people as well.  Although, you'll likely have someone walk right over your spot every 1/2 hour or so...
catchinfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 351
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 10:02:56 (permalink)
Maybe when you hook into a 10lber your views will change.  I haven't caught to many fish that will fight you like that except for some catfish and muskies I caught.

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein
Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 10:24:22 (permalink)
I sure wish a lot more people felt that way. Would make it a little less stressful for those who do like it. Stay home and play video games.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 10:25:53 (permalink)
Denny (anadromous) - couldn't have said it better.........................Dave
Bughawk
Pro Angler
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 10:38:33 (permalink)
When it comes to a steelie fighting, I have caught ones that simply rolled over and I slid them up on the gravel and others that had me running all over the stream.  These fish can be explosive or lethargic.  Depends on the fish, the water conditions, and the tackle you are using as to what the fight will be like.

I like to fish saltwater and usually take a trip to the Outer Banks of NC once a year.  This last trip I had the good fortune to catch some very nice puppy drum - red drum and some black drum.  Those fish were fighters, but even more of fighter are bluefish and mackeral.  The only blues I caught were small, but a 14 inch blue fish is can be a battle.

All fish fight being caught, even little bluegills.  Each fight is a bit different.  What makes the experience fun is enjoying being where the fish are and fishing for them.  Anadromous said it very well.  If you do not enjoy being where the fish are, then you need to be someone else.  Don't blame the fish.
post edited by Bughawk - 2008/10/15 11:12:51

pax vobiscum +
Flying Fish
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 10:56:18 (permalink)
Right on as usual Bug.  There some you fight that you wish wouldn't have touch your fly they are so agressive.  I love to fight the fresh steel in an uncrowded spot. There is nothing better than that.
STEELYS MANFISH
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 682
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 11:08:47 (permalink)
got to agree with anadromous, nothing better than waiting for that subtle hit in those conditions. Instant warmth once the hook is set and the fight begins. cant wait for the freezing cold days, hanging with good friends and enjoying mother nature's attempts at torturing my body while fishing for the great sea beasts of Erie.

The people who often ask me "why would I ever find this fun or time well spent'' dont appreciate being outdoors and have no sense of adventure. They seem to be scared to breakaway from everything familiar. The outdoors is my place to refuel, whether its a great, good, or bad day of fishing.
post edited by STEELYS MANFISH - 2008/10/15 11:10:47
cooljauman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1633
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 11:20:53 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: anadromous

As I told another neophyte...

You want some real advice?? Go to the tribs when the ice hangs on the slate walls, each column of ice reflecting a welcomed morning sun. Break tracks in a fresh blanket of powder as you approach the winter flow of the tribs. Now the fish can be out of sight, they have found their place. disquised by the slate bottom and green hues of the water,their backs camoflauged perfectly for this environment. When you cast, you see your breath, the cold touching your hands,cracked ,white and chapped...the water letting you know that your feet should not be in it no matter the layers of warmth. The strike, the headshake, the run...instant heat to your extremities, your heart pounds,the drag break the monotony of the waters incessant roar. A fish comes to hand, the colors vibrant, a struggle ends, an inner peace ensues and a realization will find a place to take solid ground in your brain...this is Erie steelheading. You will know when the conditions are "right" when you get "right" with yourself and a fish.

couldnt agree more with you

its these types of conditions that got me addicted

even after last wknd, gettin skunked, just being on the water finally and out in the beautiful weather, i couldnt have asked for a more relaxing and fun wknd fishing

i will be up many many times this winter!

If the world needed and enema, they'd put the tube in Philadelphia. Go Pens!

Evgeni Malkin: I'M SCORE

S.D.S.G.F.C.
Jokerball101
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 14:50:40 (permalink)
A bad day fishing is still better than a day spent at work....unless you work in a brewery that is 
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 15:06:57 (permalink)
Amen to that!  And I even like my job for the most part.
><>er man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 15:08:09 (permalink)
i agree steelhead fishing sucks !!!!! especially nov. - feb. stay away from the tribs at that time not worth your time!!!!! 
really if you don't like it stay home but mark my words i'll be there all season for sure
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 15:18:28 (permalink)
Ive been up over a dozen times in the last few yrs, never caught more then 3 a day, and i consider it a blast.  We live in a world that everyone needs instant gratification.
mgolf92
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 16:05:54 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Deadbolt401

Lol just got your text, hop on AIM dude.

OMG!  WTF!  LOL! 

Seriously though, I just laughed out loud when I read that. 
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1495
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 16:29:25 (permalink)

Its my first year, but honestly, I am starting to see exactly where this guy is coming from.  I've been up twice and caught three fish.  Two were jacks that fought less than fish half their size around home, but the other was a nice big male.  Fought and landed him with a 5 wt. flyrod (to assure the fly guys that i did indeed get the full experience), and while the experience was certainly intense, each time out, there have been things that soured the day as well.  From the lack of action to the idiots I've come across at all places on the streams.  It really seems like you have to be willing to put up with alot of bull to do this, then when you get that fish youve been waiting for, you cant even enjoy the fight, because you've got to land it as fast as possible so you dont offend anyone.

Like the OP, I'm not trying to offend anyone, but so far, steelhead fishing really isnt fun for me.  I'd rather spend a day in a canoe looking for crappie than hike up Elk and hook up twice. 

Alot of people have said that this isnt really the good fishing, and all I can say to that is that I certainly hope not.  Still I suspect that with the "peak time" there comes the peak crowd.  Call me anti-social, call me hypersensitive, but for me, one jerk doing something truly ignorant on the stream can make an otherwise fine day one to be forgotten.  I've been intentionally skipping the first day of trout for years, just to avoid the people that I end up seeing all over the place up in Erie.  And it seems like some of the nicest people I meet are the people with regular spinning gear at the mouths who dont really know what they're doing.  The guys upstream seem to be the steelhead snobs that cant wait to cause problems for you.

Meh, I dont know...I'm really trying to give this a fair shake, but to this point, i'm very ambivalent about it.

For what its worth, though, idk what fish the OP was fighting, but the mature steelie I hooked into fought like it was being prodded along by the devil himself.  Very impressive.

I think Cold put it best. To go further on the crowds up at Erie, that's what really gets me. I don't mind fishing acouple feet from some guy, but the ignorant guy who moves in on where you're fishing right when you're unhookin' a fish is what I can not stand.

I rather be by myself and catch nothing appose to catching a few steelhead and have a horrible experience over all. Catching makes up around 25% of the total experience in my book.

Also, Size & fight matters, but only around 10% for me. Catching beautiful miniature steelhead (a/k/a rainbows) with less fight but more gracefullness keeps me home around Fall. I may be a stocked fish lover, but sure beats standing next to an A-Hole up at Elk! Can't go wrong with a pool of dumb bows'! then again steelhead could fit into there as well.. 
pub
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 17:09:48 (permalink)
To catch a fish is a bonus,to be able to go fishing is priceless,and if I always wanted fish I would go to LAKE GIANT EAGLE -------------pub-----------
Bughawk
Pro Angler
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 17:22:30 (permalink)

pax vobiscum +
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 17:28:05 (permalink)
Its ALL a question about how passionate you really are about catching fish.  Whether its steelhead, bass, muskie, walleye or even perch.  Doesn't matter to me, I love it all.  I have to admit, I don't always have great days, but that just comes with the territory and what natures has to offer.  On the other hand, the more I do it and learn, the more the successful days outweigh the unsuccessful ones.  For me, a great day steelheading is getting into double digits or more, a successful day is getting into half a dozen fish or so.  And I truely think its a bit premature for you to judge steelhead on just the 7 fish that you have caught in 2 years.  Like someone said above, if you're standing in one spot for eight hours, you're not experiencing the fullest the sport has to offer.  For steelhead, I'll fish 3 different styles and a huge variety of presentations in many various areas from calm water to rushing.  And finally, I have to admit, these fall steelhead fight as hard - pound for pound - as any other freshwater fish I have caught.  My number one being the striper bass.

To each his own I guess... 

wvsteelrdie
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 17:31:27 (permalink)
Tell everyone how bad steel is. You need to understand the real meaning. Fighting the elements, the croud if you are in the wrong spot,the walking up and down looking for the right spot,and the friends that you make walking the streams. How many people do you meet perch jerkin? there is good in all fishing. Just find what you like! 
steelheadman28
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 20:01:33 (permalink)
I wouldn't go steelhead fishing either stay at home and save your gas.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8504
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 20:40:21 (permalink)
Very nicely said!
Just getting out and enjoying the day is worth a trip.
Some will say this isn,t for me but if you are like me , I enjoy
the walk and talking to other guys. I,ll watch a person catching and enjoyed the show.
I,ve been on that spotlight. Been skunked alot but also brought many to hand.
It is what you want. Do you like crappie as chauncy does? (the king)
What do you expect? A feeding frenzy? Not going to happen.
The day is what it is all about.

SlipperySmitt
  • Total Posts : 403
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 21:05:16 (permalink)
Why? Because they're so easy to catch at they're size. Plus they're trout which most seem to place as gods! Would one brag if he caught 10+ pound cats or carps in an outing? A few of us would, most wouldn't even consider being in the place to do such a thing. A few would enjoy chasing Musky or Pikes for 12+ hours to maybe be able to land one or hook one and not mention it.

Steelies are a fairly large fish (in PA) which most can catch, thats whats makes them addicting to most folks! And yes, they are fun, but get boring quick! Not like waiting for that Musky, Pike, Cat over 8 pounds to hit and hope to get the 1-3 you mat get ahold per trip.

Smitty
woodnickle
Pro Angler
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 21:33:02 (permalink)
It is more of the challenge to get them to hit what you offer.
What a thrill to make something that they like!
The time of year adds a highlight!
If you want an aquarium I have one for ya.
Why do musky guys work so hard to get one strike in 8 hrs,?
Bassers try to get 15 lbs to win a tourney?
Its what you want.
If your thrill is elsewhere, go there.

Bughawk
Pro Angler
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 21:44:57 (permalink)
If you want a challenge try muskie fishing.  Basically it is casting practice interrupted by the occasional fish.  It takes dedication and a lot of patience.

pax vobiscum +
woodnickle
Pro Angler
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 22:13:12 (permalink)
Go shad fishing during the run in spring and you will see the same affliction out east.
1 or 2  fish and their happy.
Be happy and do what ya want. Legally!lol

Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 22:23:01 (permalink)
I agree with much of whats been said about finding a type of fishing that works for you.  If you think steelhead is the be-all-end-all of fishing...what do you do from May to October?  I have caught trout every month for the past year, and to be honest, before I started fly fishing, my most rewarding catch wasa tight lipped rainbow that I'd fished for on at least three seperate occasions.  I'd studied this one trout, when he ate, what he ate, where he moved to and from as evening fell on the stream, how he reacted to other fish and the lures I was throwing, how he reacted to the weather...

It was the third or fourth day that I finally put the puzzle together.  Cloudy day, he'll be out in the faster current for oxygen, probably in among a few submerged boulders.  Just starting to get dark, he'll be coming up from the bottom looking to feed between the rocks and a fallen tree nearby.  With the heat that day, he probably hadn't moved at all, so he'd have some energy to burn once it cooled off...meaning something flashy might get a response, but with the gin-clear water, it couldn't be gaudy.

So I tied on a clear trout magnet with silver glitter and swung from the tree trunk out to the rocks.  A few casts later, a flash of sliver and a sharp tug led to the catch that I will remember this summer by.  A beautiful 18" holdover rainbow with a stripe so pink it looked like he'd been painted with nail polish.  He fought like a champ, and when released, he swam off as if he'd never been hooked.  Saw him holding under his log a week later and didnt even cast to him.  As far as I was concerned, he was entitled to a peaceful summer and fall.

The magic of that fish was figuring him out, so I can definitely see where you guys are coming from.  But in my situation, I spent those days all alone with mother nature on the stream.  I saw more muskrats (and herons, and deer, and rabbits...) than people.  Each day I came home fishless, I also came home smiling from ear to ear. 

On that same note, I've had similar good times bass fishing in a canoe, panfishing tailwaters, and spending nearly 8 months now in a thus-far-unsuccessful hunt for a pike.  I love all aspects of fishing, and its because of this that it really startled me when I realized that I really wasn't enjoying steelheading.  I really didn't expect to catch ANY fish my first few times out.  I think maybe it just really does remind me too much of the trout season opener around here.  Zillions of fish in plain view getting hundreds of pounds of bait and hardware thrown at them from all angles.  Grown men acting like little kids tying to get into the same spot.  Fish swimming around with enough hooks in them to open their own shop.  It just doesn't seem like its in the spirit of fishing to me.  I'm not one to pass judgement quickly, though, so I plan on making several more northward treks this fall/winter/spring.  I'll more than likely post here when I'm planning on going, so if any of you guys want to prove me wrong, just shoot me a PM when I'm headed up and I'll be happy to even just watch you fish if you dont want to feel crowded.  I just wanna see how its done.  Hell, I watched a guy last weekend land one and it was one of the best parts of the day (though I might have creeped him out a little by just standing there).

Long story short: I'm not knocking the steelhead, or the guys that love them...just saying that I do love fishing, but not this steelhead experience, yet.
chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/16 06:55:30 (permalink)
John, if i could sit back and relax while steelhead fishing the tribs, i'd be all over it. But the shoulder to shoulder thing is just not for me. Maybe i'll take that invite to come up later when it gets cold and experience the fishing, but right now, it just isn't for me. I'll just enjoy reading these boards and be happy for everyone thats enjoying themselves. I know how it feels to love fishing for something and get good at it. I'm hopeing everyone has a great season and everyone uses stream ettiqutte.
I trout fished shenango last week. Was the only one there. Got 3 bows (C&R) and a dozen small, smallmouths. I do, do more than just crappie fish. 
woodnickle
Pro Angler
RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/16 10:27:09 (permalink)
lol. OK chauncy , we,ll hit it when the nor easter comes. lol

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: