Author
screamin_reels
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/14 19:52:12 (permalink)

Whats so great & addicting?

Hello All!

This is my second year catching steelhead. Maybe I should rephrase...second year but this is the first year I actually caught some steelies. So far, I have caught 7 and had about 10 hookups. I enjoy it but I don't get as excited as some of the folks here and while fishing. I recall many people on here saying that I would be addicted and want to go everyday. But the thing is, I do not see why as catching a steelie is fun but I thought it would be "funnier" and fight a lot more. I am not sure if I was getting my hopes up but honestly it is not all that great. Here is how I picture it...sit or standing there for 8 or so hours and only land 2 to 3 fish in that long of a period! MAybe if I was landing like 20 or so steelhead it would be much more enjoyable. Not to discuss anyone but I would honestly rather be bass or perch fishing. At least I catch a lot of fish and bass give a great fight. I hope this post does not offend anyone but honestly I enjoy steelheading but it would be much greater if it was like catching fish I just mentioned. It is honestly not all that fun just sitting there and spinning or drifting for hours and catching 2 - 3 fish. MAybe I am just in denial but honestly the fighting of a steelhead is not all that great. It would be the same thing if I sat there all day for hours on end and caught 2 -3 bass. Anyone understand or feel the same as me???

106 Replies Related Threads

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 19:59:17 (permalink)
    who the hell steelhead fishes and stays in one spot all day???  that is not steelheading..........fishing at a wall for hours on end and catching a few fish is not steelheading.......especially when most of the fish sitting in holes are facing toward the lake wondering why the hell they came into the stream in the first place........and now they are stuck.........stuck with all those STEELHEADERS throwing hardware or drifting bait at them in inches of water........THAT is not STEELHEADING............maybe you are missing something..........

the fight of a steelhead is not all that great??? 

fight a steelie in the dead of winter or when they actually start running--when there is water in the creeks.......or even the spring dropbacks.........

so, to answer your question........No I don't understand or feel the same as you........
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 20:01:20 (permalink)
    You're right it sucks.

I don't recommend it...

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 682
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 20:08:22 (permalink)
    can u keep spreading that word!! thanks in advance.
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 20:08:22 (permalink)
    Screamin, I quess it didn't match up to your expectations. I think they fight GREAT! Of course a nice 6 lb. smallmouth taking line and jumping out of the water is great too.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 20:11:42 (permalink)
    Tippy's right - no challenge - no fun - leave the boring stuff to us old folks please !!
    powerun
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 20:18:47 (permalink)
     ALL HE NEED'S IS MORE EXPERANCE AND TO TRY IT ON A FLY ROD. THEN WE WILL PROBIBLY HERE A DIFFRENT STORY.
    ORIGINAL: 2Bonthewater

who the hell steelhead fishes and stays in one spot all day???  that is not steelheading..........fishing at a wall for hours on end and catching a few fish is not steelheading.......especially when most of the fish sitting in holes are facing toward the lake wondering why the hell they came into the stream in the first place........and now they are stuck.........stuck with all those STEELHEADERS throwing hardware or drifting bait at them in inches of water........THAT is not STEELHEADING............maybe you are missing something..........

the fight of a steelhead is not all that great??? 

fight a steelie in the dead of winter or when they actually start running--when there is water in the creeks.......or even the spring dropbacks.........

so, to answer your question........No I don't understand or feel the same as you........
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 20:21:36 (permalink)
    You can stick your head in a cow's**** but wouldn't you rather take the butchers word for it? 
    I mean, you can stick your head up a butchers****and...oh...

That's about how your post came out. I understand what your trying to say. I don't like crowds of A-holes that shouldn't be fishing but at another retarded function or event, mostly the crowds at the mouths that don't pull their lines in.
    screamin_reels
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 20:24:51 (permalink)
    gobyking...

I think I heard your qoute on a movie. I believe it was "Blacksheep" or "Tommy Boy"

Am I right?
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 20:34:41 (permalink)
    Screamin, yes it was one of those. You are peeing on some persons dream that they have been dreaming since last spring. This is an opinion I would have kept to myself. IF I said bass or perch fishing is like pulling in a dead log and is no fun, would you be offended if you were slighlty mentally ill and though it was your world dream or destiny?

Some people were release from wards for the mentally ill and are among us now. Some of these folks take everything as if it is the most important thing in the world. It isn't.
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 20:52:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: screamin_reels

Hello All!

Not to discuss anyone but I would honestly rather be bass or perch fishing. 

MAybe I am just in denial but honestly the fighting of a steelhead is not all that great. It would be the same thing if I sat there all day for hours on end and caught 2 -3 bass.

I suppose we could all chip in acouple bucks and pay for your gas to Lake Arthur, lol. & catch your share of steelhead.

To be ohnest maybe you've been steel spoiled? Catching steelhead is awesome and there's nothing better than Winter steel 20 degrees out. Wouldn't wanna be any where else. I think I speak for most when I say that we are all priviledged to be able to even have a chance at these fish, and if you think bass fishing is funner, JUST DO IT to quote Happy Gilmore. Good luck this season.
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 21:05:50 (permalink)
    Screamin, I don't know when or where you fish, but when I first started it was only 2-3 per day as well on the streams.....but I still enjoyed it.  It's not only about catching fish but the journey along the way.  I am still not an expert, maybe not even halfway there.  But it is not uncommon for me to catch 10-20 day, but not everyday.  I do however wish everyone thought the same as you...the jouney would be much better for me.  Good luck!
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 21:07:31 (permalink)

... this is the first year I actually caught some steelies. So far, I have caught 7 and had about 10 hookups. ...

you haven't even fished good conditions yet
    give it some time
    wait for the green flows and the bullets
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 21:19:36 (permalink)
    Ya ,they come in like a waterlogged plastic bag. Not much fun. Don,t bite. Terrible tasteing.
    Be better to go to pymy for eyes!

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 21:23:27 (permalink)
    Tommy Boy
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 21:39:44 (permalink)
    Make sure you tell all your friends how damb stupid steelhead fishin is!!!!

MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 21:42:32 (permalink)
    It probably isn't "for everyone" as they say.  There are some people that will hike deep in the woods, fish a stream you could pee across, catch a few dozen 5-7 inch fish and say they had a great time as well.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 21:59:37 (permalink)

Hello All!

This is my second year catching steelhead. Maybe I should rephrase...second year but this is the first year I actually caught some steelies. So far, I have caught 7 and had about 10 hookups. I enjoy it but I don't get as excited as some of the folks here and while fishing. I recall many people on here saying that I would be addicted and want to go everyday. But the thing is, I do not see why as catching a steelie is fun but I thought it would be "funnier" and fight a lot more. I am not sure if I was getting my hopes up but honestly it is not all that great. Here is how I picture it...sit or standing there for 8 or so hours and only land 2 to 3 fish in that long of a period! MAybe if I was landing like 20 or so steelhead it would be much more enjoyable. Not to discuss anyone but I would honestly rather be bass or perch fishing. At least I catch a lot of fish and bass give a great fight. I hope this post does not offend anyone but honestly I enjoy steelheading but it would be much greater if it was like catching fish I just mentioned. It is honestly not all that fun just sitting there and spinning or drifting for hours and catching 2 - 3 fish. MAybe I am just in denial but honestly the fighting of a steelhead is not all that great. It would be the same thing if I sat there all day for hours on end and caught 2 -3 bass. Anyone understand or feel the same as me???

what ever floats your boat, duud
    some duuds are coo-coo over turkey or deer hunting.
    To me, sitting with my back against a tree making clucking sounds, or sitting in a tree stand is BORING

one note, if you're talking about smallies when you said bass fight harder, pound for pound, there's no doubt in my mind  smallies are   "stronger".
    Not so sure which fights harder for "longer" though.
    I've only caught a handful of decent sized smallies, and  they gave up the ghost long before the average steelie does

It's possible the steelies you caught were caught and released a half dozen times before you hooked 'em.
    Indeed, by late in the season, the dumb ones (quick to bite any ole junk) that haven't been roped, have been caught and released so many times, it's like they know the routine and come  to you like a dog on a leash

If you're referring to lg mouth bass, (I've landed a million of those with the largest being 9 pounds) they're not even close to a steelie in fight or power

at any rate, I don't see any reason for anyone to be mad or upset cause you feel the way you do
    it's not everyone's cup-o-tea and sure ain't no biggie if it's not yours

..L.T.A.
    JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 22:35:41 (permalink)
    For me its the fly rod that makes it what it is, also I have always liked fishing streams, you add big fish that in my opinion do fight and its a good time.  But as mentioned if you would rather be fishing for perch please do instead of crowding me out in the crick.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 22:59:00 (permalink)
    Its my first year, but honestly, I am starting to see exactly where this guy is coming from.  I've been up twice and caught three fish.  Two were jacks that fought less than fish half their size around home, but the other was a nice big male.  Fought and landed him with a 5 wt. flyrod (to assure the fly guys that i did indeed get the full experience), and while the experience was certainly intense, each time out, there have been things that soured the day as well.  From the lack of action to the idiots I've come across at all places on the streams.  It really seems like you have to be willing to put up with alot of bull to do this, then when you get that fish youve been waiting for, you cant even enjoy the fight, because you've got to land it as fast as possible so you dont offend anyone.

Like the OP, I'm not trying to offend anyone, but so far, steelhead fishing really isnt fun for me.  I'd rather spend a day in a canoe looking for crappie than hike up Elk and hook up twice. 

Alot of people have said that this isnt really the good fishing, and all I can say to that is that I certainly hope not.  Still I suspect that with the "peak time" there comes the peak crowd.  Call me anti-social, call me hypersensitive, but for me, one jerk doing something truly ignorant on the stream can make an otherwise fine day one to be forgotten.  I've been intentionally skipping the first day of trout for years, just to avoid the people that I end up seeing all over the place up in Erie.  And it seems like some of the nicest people I meet are the people with regular spinning gear at the mouths who dont really know what they're doing.  The guys upstream seem to be the steelhead snobs that cant wait to cause problems for you.

Meh, I dont know...I'm really trying to give this a fair shake, but to this point, i'm very ambivalent about it.

For what its worth, though, idk what fish the OP was fighting, but the mature steelie I hooked into fought like it was being prodded along by the devil himself.  Very impressive.
    post edited by Cold - 2008/10/14 23:01:35
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 23:23:08 (permalink)
    Cold, shoot me a PM.

There's not crowds everywhere, and you don't only get 2 hookups, and I'm a terrible fisherman believe me, and I get more than that.

Right now the fish are for the most part condensed, thus the crowds. Give it one full season then pass judgement on it.

fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 23:25:41 (permalink)
    Ditto to pretty much everything Genie has said.

To you duuds that are comlaining about only catching 1 or two fish in a day...  Sorry to hear that, PA is about as easy as it gets as far as steelheading goes.  There are about a million fish dumped in a dozen or so ditchs over 40 miles of shoreline, what more can you ask for?  I'm not saying they arent tough to catch at times... They can be tight lipped (as are all trout), but fish can usualy still be caught without much difficulty. 

All I can say is don't ever try your hand at REAL steelheading out west then, or even in some of the other great lakes (or even states for that matter).  In some of the rivers out west, two or three steelhead would be a GREAT day.

There are very few places in the world where you can hook up with 20-30-40-50 steelhead in a day, let alone land... and PA is one of them.  I'm pretty happy with that, if it's not your cup of tea that's okay.  It is what is is.

-Tim
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 23:30:08 (permalink)
    Shut up tim, no one wants to hear your crap!

you Superstar you.

Lol just got your text, hop on AIM dude.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 23:35:46 (permalink)
    to fishrmn: I've been fishing all my life and i understand that the 2 hookup day meant very inactive fish, but it is what it is, and for me, to drive almost three hours for two hookups would only be worth it if i also had a day full of good memories to go with it.  While this past Saturday with the One Fly was definitely worth it, had I made it a day trip and left friday evening, I'd have considered it a wasted trip, because along with my one great fight, I dealt with several idiots.  I can do that at home and catch more fish.

And as far as the rivers out west...if three fish for an entire day is a GREAT day, then I'm glad I dont live there.  I can drive 15 minutes and catch 3 trout in about another 15 on a GREAT day.
    orvis09
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 23:42:07 (permalink)
    you guys are nuts. please do us all a favor and spread the word that steelheading is absolutely no fun. go catch bass
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 23:43:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MackJ

It probably isn't "for everyone" as they say.  There are some people that will hike deep in the woods, fish a stream you could pee across, catch a few dozen 5-7 inch fish and say they had a great time as well.
      I'm one of those guys  I live in Erie and to be honest I'd rather go Perch Jerkin  ...  I haven't even been out for Steel yet

fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/14 23:45:51 (permalink)
    Cold,

Give it another month or two on your own, I think your opinion will probably change.  That or maybe hook up with someone from the board that can show you around now.

I'll be on the Loyalhanna tomorrow, I'd be willing to share what I know with you about the Erie area.  The easy fishing will come with water, but great days can be had right now aswell.

-Tim
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 00:36:58 (permalink)
    I totally agree. Please spread the word. Put this post on your Facebook or
    Myspace page, and while you are at it, put a video on Youtube showing the lack of fight in these awful tasting steelhead.

gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 02:42:20 (permalink)
    x
    post edited by gobyking - 2008/10/15 03:10:19
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Whats so great & addicting? 2008/10/15 08:09:25 (permalink)
    I dont understand unless you may be out there with 10lb test, then I might get it.
    Ooops , just noticed you were at the "one fly" so, what the other guys said!
    post edited by gizmos - 2008/10/15 08:12:14

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: