youth pheasant

Author
kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 699
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/11 21:44:44 (permalink)

youth pheasant

me, my friends and my dad went out we jumped about 10 birds only got 1. ya pretty bad shooting but it was a nice wild rooster. if u and your kid went out say how good you did or bad but lets hope good

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern

6 Replies Related Threads

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: youth pheasant 2008/10/12 10:53:43 (permalink)
    Took a co-worker and his son to Raystown.  My brace of English Pointers pointed 8 birds.  Only one shot fired (?????) despite all birds being high and in the open (actually most were over the lake -- can't get more open than that) and it was a clean miss.

This was the first pheasant trip for my 1-year-old pup.  He has been working on quail only for the last 8 weeks.  The first pheasant he wasn't real sure what it was, so he back out three times.  When we flushed it, things must have clicked in his little head because he was the lead point on two other birds -- both very staunch with my 6-year-old (his father) backing him.

It was a nice day with good company and okay dog work.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: youth pheasant 2008/10/13 08:06:01 (permalink)
    You know, i thought i saw some pheasants in an area we were in over the weekend. There wasnt a single person.
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    RE: youth pheasant 2008/10/20 22:16:39 (permalink)
    we went out again jumped five all too far for me too hit. cant wait till saturday im hoping to get some then.

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: youth pheasant 2008/10/21 07:52:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kill3ducks1deer

we went out again jumped five all too far for me too hit. cant wait till saturday im hoping to get some then.

Youd be surprised how far you can shoot a bird with the right choke and lead/practice.
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    RE: youth pheasant 2008/10/21 16:27:59 (permalink)
    o i shot at them but 60 yards is kinda far i took the chance though but failed lol.

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: youth pheasant 2008/10/24 00:06:36 (permalink)
      Didn't make it out for the youth pheasant days even though a bunch of crates were released just down the rd. a little. Did manage to take a 12 year old boy one day, his sister another & my youngest son another for bushy tails. It was a blast . Got the chance to go take 2 young lads for the youth duck hunt & it was a blast also .

Took my youngest out this eve. for the youth doe hunt & we had a young doe within 3 yrds of us & it stuck around for about 15 min. , we could ov petted it more than once  Saw a button buck a few min. later & then saw momma & big daddy at 50 yrds. My son just kept aim at big daddy & I could tell he wanted him. Momma just wouldn't take those 2 extra steps for a heart/lung shot before they spooked  Last year on the 1st day of the ydh we saw the biggest buck I ever saw at 30 yrds. in a open field & 2 min. after he left my son harvested a nice doe.

Don't know what I'll do if/when I ever get a chance to take a shot again  It's been awhile so I'll prob. feel thike a kid again.

Be safe & good luck
              Crappy
    Jump to: