Packs

Author
pin_drifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 253
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/29 19:01:24 (permalink)

Packs

Just was wondering what alot of you guys are using and packs.
meaning chest packs or waist packs.
I have used a chest pack for years and it kills my shoulders and back after 10 hours of fishing.  I was looking into a new waist pack called a riptide from william josphe  anyone ever use one by chance. Or let me know what can hold a great amount of fishing tackle........thanks.

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!

15 Replies Related Threads

3way
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Packs 2008/09/29 19:44:58 (permalink)
    i use a waist pack. not as convenient as chest pack but carrys great w/ no notice of it by the end of the day. u get rather adept at spinning it around to access it for gear as well.
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Packs 2008/09/29 20:03:08 (permalink)
    last year i bought a wading jacket and scrapped the vest when i went to erie or new york.  like you said after a couple hours my back would hurt, especially when i'm wearing layers in cold weather.  i have two huge front pockets i can put a couple fly boxes in and i don't need much else.
    post edited by dru2112 - 2008/09/29 21:42:33
    anadromous fly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Packs 2008/09/29 21:41:26 (permalink)
    I don't use a pack. I have never found one I liked. If it was small then I felt I didn't have enough stuff, even though I had plenty. The large chest packs I couldn't see my feet and felt I would end up paying homage to the river gods. So I keep everything in the boat and take a small 6 slot plano box with me, I shove some flies and some swivels into it. Take a couple of floats and put it into my wader pocket. If it is a river I have not fished before or in a long time its backpack time.

Anadromous FLY
    Please practice catch and release.
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Packs 2008/09/30 00:36:47 (permalink)
    bare with me on this one...i use a "nine west" purse i found at a yard sale for $2...its tan/brown and has no "girly" features...actaully had a couple guys ask me where i got it cause they wanted one....its got two long skinny pockets on each side(holds floats excellent) and a zip up pouch in the front with slots for cards(i mean extra tippet/sinkers/anything small) and 1 large middle pocket( holds a plano flipside box/fly box and an extra spool of line rather nicely)....whole thing is about 5in wide by 9 inches tall...works great......if i hadn't of found this i would still be using the waist pack...doesnt hurt the back as bad...
    jeeters
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Packs 2008/09/30 22:17:51 (permalink)
    I to have had issues with neck and back fatigue so i went with a watermark fanny pack and use a lanyard around my neck for a few essentials.So far i have cured my pain problem and don't really miss my vest that i used to wear, i love the watermark pack and you can get them from Cabelas for around 30 bucks.
    anadromous fly
    New Angler
    RE: Packs 2008/10/01 00:29:57 (permalink)
    I have to tell you brn trt. that I too have used a purse. It was a canvas mosimo that I got from target. works great when banking it.
    T

Anadromous FLY
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Packs 2008/10/01 01:36:51 (permalink)
    a. fly,
    they work great dont they?....haha...if i can find a pic of it i'll post it in...
    anadromous fly
    New Angler
    RE: Packs 2008/10/09 01:07:51 (permalink)
    Guys on this topic one thing I should mention is that in the boat I use the Outcast Pontoon boat company seat back bag. Way cool.

Anadromous FLY
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

18andlife
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: Packs 2008/10/09 08:36:43 (permalink)
    I have two, an original Orvis safe passage, which is nice and holds a lot but kind of bears down on the shoulders. I also have and what I use now is a Fishpond Blue River pack. I can fit anything I need into this pack and when not in use I can turn it behind me to free up my front side. Its pretty nice and I like it alot.

Roy D. Mercer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Packs 2008/10/09 10:43:43 (permalink)
    Any sling pack will do.
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Packs 2008/10/09 11:19:02 (permalink)
    Camo Kmart fannypack $10. End of discussion Roy!

She had bad body odor but boy could she sure skin a salmon!
    "Trust but verify" R.R.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Packs 2008/10/09 15:25:45 (permalink)
    I have a pretty nice camo bag from Kelty called the Elk Horn.  You can wear it like a backpack or take the straps off and wear it like a waist pack.  It has some good dividers in it and small pockets for indicators and split shot, and hooks for all of your zingers.  Holds three or so fly boxes, the camera, a drink and some snacks.  I'd never wear a vest again...

fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Packs 2008/10/18 17:04:49 (permalink)
    you got to with fish pond
    I got a water dance guide pack I wear it like a fanny pack or on my side it its is great
    FC

tied to throw not for show
    anadromous fly
    New Angler
    RE: Packs 2008/10/18 21:54:55 (permalink)
    Dealinsteel, How the heck did you get a pic to post????

Next I am trying out Sage's new mini chest pack. We shall see.

Anadromous FLY
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

jwatersphd
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Packs 2008/10/19 14:10:49 (permalink)
    safe, secure, and ready for any kind of fun:

i am the type who fishes a variety of trout waters, from small mountain streams to relatively large rivers or lakes or beaver ponds, in the rockies where the weather can be delightful one minute and disastrous the next, and also where moving up and downstream can at some times be a life threatening experience - slippery rocks, cliffs, pools that have to be swum across - often a mile or more from the car. i also go alone if i feel like it, or get into places where, if i fell, my companion, if i had one, might have a hard time finding me. To have fun, i feel like i need to ready for rapids, ponds, runs, and flats. to be safe and secure, i like having everything with me, especially survival and repair gear. I once repaired a boot with wire and it saved the trip. I splinted a friend's finger (compound fracture) well enough that he didn't need to go to the ER in a panic. it also makes packing up for trips easier. just grab one thing. over the years i have tried a lot of things. first, of course, there is the vest. But, when you get the stuff in them that i feel i need to be secure, incl. lunch, water purifying pump, warm and rainproof clothes, repair, survival, and first aid, they are overloaded and uncomfortable. it's not so much the weight as the bulk. i probably carry 15 or 20 pounds, including waders and boots, water, first aid, four fly boxes of the waterproof type, multi-tool, etc. but the volume is a different matter. there, i'm usually up around 4000 cubic inches. Then i went the chest pack route with a real pack behind and discovered that the chest pack, when it had all my fishing equipment, weighed so much and was so bulky that it stuck out and got in the way of line managment, and even of getting around some tight places on rock faces. I tried to rig that up so it would be attached to the pack, but that was too much for the pack (Gregory z pack). So what i've ended up doing is getting a REALLY GOOD, BIG pack with a terrific hip suspension - in my case, osprey aether 85 (85 liters) - and i use only the front part of a decent vest (fothergills) into which i inserted some aluminum stays which i can mount on the osprey's heat-moldable and very comfortable hip best. I replaced the back panel of the vest with netting. I attach the front parts of the vest to the shoulder straps of the pack just to keep them in place, but their weight, with the stays, becomes part of the pack. The result is a load that is entirely on my hips comfortably, and i have all the room i need for bulky but not heavy waders, and still gives me the design features and layout - lots of little pockets and 4 large fly box pockets - that a decent vest offers. I find a chest pack tries to put too much in too small a 2-dimensional extension and gets too thick or deep.

The compression straps allow me to streamline the pack when i've hiked to my destination and taken the waders and boots out and decreased the volume from 4000 to maybe 2000 cubic inches. No neck ache, either. Everything's on the hips, and snug to your torso.

By the way, since it is not too unusual to wade deep or even fall over, i keep everything in the vest and in the pack in some sort of dry bag. the cf fly boxes that are waterproof are great for that and orvis now makes one too. If i have to swim, everything floats and i have a built in raft.

So this is what i recommend for the rocky mountain go anywhere angler. take what you want to have fun, don't kill yourself getting there, and rest comfortably knowing you could stay out overnight or fix your equipment if you want to, even if it snows and you are at 10,000 feet.

James H Waters
    Boulder, Colorado
    Jump to: