nicest buck

Author
grimm reaper
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/23 07:55:26 (permalink)

nicest buck

just wndering what everyones nicest buck is and if u have a story or a pic to share. mine is a big 8 point but i dont know how to post pics yet

7 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: nicest buck 2008/09/23 09:43:56 (permalink)
    An overview of this preseason for myself.

I will say I am a bit disappointed in the number of deer I've seen.  My timing, for whatever reason has been horrid this year.  The sign is there, I just can't seem to make eye contact with them.  I know they are there.  I focus on an area at different times of the day and still can't get a grasp on them.  Time will tell I guess.  The wind has not been to good this year.   Blowing the wrong way for mornings and evening.  The gyspy moths really whacked much of the white oaks I rely on the deer coming to.  It's going to be a different year, for sure.  Just as the deer adapt to the feed, I will adapt to them.  It'll likely take a few mistakes (jumping them, etc..) to understand their patterns but that's okay.  The oaks just aren't there this year.  Hopefully the wind starts to get better.

I like to have about 10-12 bucks preseason that are 3.5 or older, picked out for the year.  Usually it happens.  Not this year; again, just not seeing the deer.  I have maybe 5-6 that are looking good.   For the first week, I had a buck picked out to hunt, which is a drop tine, palm-mated right beam 12 pt.  Not a terribly large rack, probably a 130" buck, but he is over 200 pounds on hoof.  Just this past week, I have seen no evidence of him using the area, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that.  I suspect he is down low because of water.  He'll be up, likely after the next rain.  I do have a pic of him, as he walked up to me in the vehicle, at about 15 feet.  The pic is very blurry, on a cell phone that I cannot send to my email.  Beyond that, I've seen four great looking 8 pts, some of which have been seen by the whole county, so forget those ones.  Also, a friend seen a 10 pt. with a 20" spread, I have not looked for him, or scouted there, but I know where to hunt him.  He is at risk of getting whacked by a car, so that's a bit of a turn off.  

I have one more area I need to walk, which I won't do until mid archery as I know of a slammer in the area, but don't know the area well enough so I'll have to rely on rubs to find him.  Another month, and he should have plenty of rubs to check out.  Here's a pic of his little brother he was running with last year:

So the season is almost here, what, 10 days away?  yikes.  I got some work to do.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2008/09/23 09:45:20

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: nicest buck 2008/09/23 15:32:35 (permalink)
    It was the 1992 season and I had missed a nice 8 pt on the opener of rifle due to a misfire ( I later traced this to my brothers getting my ammo soaked in a cooler on the way home from a previous trip).  I was attending Lock Haven University and playing football as a sophmore and had archery hunted very little as time was limited.  I finished up finals at 5 pm on the final friday of the rifle season.  I threw my crap in a bag and said bye to my roomate, told him I was headed to camp.  He asked if I was crazy as he was from Ridgeway and there were 4,800 homes without power from the ongoing snow storm.  I told him it was no big deal, as we didn't have electric at camp any way.

As I made my way west on I-80 they were closing the highway behind me, it was snowing so hard.  I busted through a drifted shut exit at Pennfield (almost didn't make it, as it was as deep as the roof of my 79 malibu).  219 north had 9-18 inches of packed snow on the road, with huge pothole chunks missing, making it almost impossible to drive.  It took me 6 hours to get to Kane, where I was to meet my dad and brothers ( normal time was 2.5 hours).

Making our way out 321 to the camp road, we found it plowed shut.  So we put chains on all four tires of my dads full size Jimmy and busted on in.  The snow was so deep that we had to use the spotlight, as the headlights were under the snow.  This also was plugging the grill as the snow was plowing up over the hood.  All told the trip took 9 hours from Lock Haven to camp.

As I had been awake for 3 days straight for finals, dad let us sleep in, in the morning.  When we got up there was 46 inches of snow.  The good part about this was that the deer were having trouble walking in the woods and had taken to walking established trails and roads.  The snow was hanging heavy in the trees, one of those truly beautiful post snowstorm days in the ANF.  I picked an abandoned railroad grade along chappel fork creek and started walking.

The snow was so deep that it was filling the handwarmer pocket on my sweatshirt ( I am 6'3").  I hadn't walked very far when I jumped some deer feeding under some hemlocks where the weight of the snow had brought the branches down to browse level.  I saw that one was a buck, but wasn't sure how big.  I started tracking these deer, after about a 400 yard track straight up hill I caught up with them for the third time, but could only see the two does about 100 yards above me on the hill.  Then out of the corner of my eye I see a deer sneaking down the hill about 175 yards but on my level.  As I got him in the scope I saw it was the buck, then he stopped.  All I could see was his head and a pie plate sized piece of his hindquarter.  My biggest concern was that he would get in with some other deer and I would lose him.  So I made the decision, before he dissapeared over the hill, I was going to have a blood trail to follow at least.  I pulled up and squeezed on off at the hindquarters.  I saw him run for about 10 yards and then dissapear, he didn't look hit and I was not confident in my off hand shot in the brush.

I dropped to the trail about 75 yards below us and figgured I would pick up his track there.  With the snow so deep, it would take about 30 minutes to move 100 yards.  I walked out that trail for at least 250 yards and never cut a track, so I backtracked to about the point where I figgued he was and started up the hill.

About 50 yards above the trail I saw an antler sticking out of the snow, he had only gone 25 yards and there he lay, a beautiful 22" 10point, the largest ever shot out of our camp.  That was about 11 am, by the time I got him drug back to camp it was almost 4:30.  That was one of my best days in the woods.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: nicest buck 2008/09/23 16:00:48 (permalink)
    grimm. yikes, I didn't read your question very thoroughly!  I've got the upcoming season on the brain.  

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: nicest buck 2008/09/23 21:54:52 (permalink)
    No biggie, SK, I started throwing up daily, in anticipation of the season 4 days ago.....

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: nicest buck 2008/09/23 22:50:24 (permalink)
    Mine is embarassing.

2004 second day of archery. I was working for a company that had me running 12 hours a day from 4am to 4 pm 6 days a week, of course I was off Sunday. Anyway, I saw a bowhunter off of rt 22 near Star Lake Amphitheatre on the way home and I though I want to go bowhunting even though my time is extremely limited and I have a family to attend to at home.I had bowhunted as a teenager and gave it up in my late 20's with too much on my plate.I decided to get a license at Kmart left there at 3:50 pm. Went home and picked up my gear and old bow( Browning WOOD RISER!) and Loggy Bayou treestand, what a joke of a bow compared to what I have now.

In the stand at an old overgrown local mining area, it has 4 ponds and a ton of trails. Spotting earlier that fall, I saw a couple nice 8-pts(I thought) and a heck of a lot of doe for them to tend to. I took my days off during rifle season,even though I used a slug in 2B. I never thought I would have a chance to go bowhunting, but the bug got me quick earlier that day. In the tree at 4:45 pm as hastily as I could. I was still getting set when I hear a crunching coming down the hill behind me (I was in a large tree at the edge of an overgrown powerline which had a creek running down from the ponds, exiting into a larger creek). This is rural hunting here, no big woods. There are a lot of houses around in the distance. I expected another bowhunter to walk past me on to his position. Well, it was one of the 8 points(again I thought).

Still a nice buck I could only see him out of the corner of my eye, he was staring dead at me 20 ft up in a tree and I was facing 90 degrees away from him on my left side. I'm left handed so I would have to have made way too much movement to draw back. The buck bobbed his head a couple times, then what seemed like forever, walked behind my stand and stopped 20 yds from me on my rightside in a clear shot broadside. Shot and the pin was still where he was, just that he dropped right in his tracks, not one step 5:40 pm.

I did a couple fist pumps, quietly, then figured he was finished after not moving and his eyes were closed for a few minutes. Got out of my stand and went over to him, large symmetrical 10 pt, he blinked. In retrospect, I should have shot him again, but decided to take my stand back to the truck and let him sit for a while. I called my dad because I knew he was home within 10 miles and needed someone to drag out this big buck, my only option at this point. Came back 30 minutes later, saw a large and wide 8 pt stand within 30 yds of this downed buck which is still alive, but not moving. My dad goes to cut his throat, he jumps up while dad is still holding onto the antlers, then falls back down. It turns out when I shot, the buck turned and my arrow went up his spine near his neck. The back end of him was barely working but the front end was in working order. I finished him of and the drag was way more than I could handle, I'm glad I called for help. Got 91# of meat out of him. 20" spread.

That buck is on my wall, cost me $400 at the taxidermist. The biggest buck anyone I know personally has shot, and it stares at me as I sit watching tv from my chair. My daughter in 2005 loved to pet it at her age(5) and wondered how it got there. I said it got stuck there jumping through the wall , she kept going into the other room asking, " But daddy, it's butt isn't on the other side?" She has since figured out dad shot it, but thinks I shot Bambi.

I am trying to post a picture, but am having trouble.
    post edited by gobyking - 2008/09/24 00:09:09
    grimm reaper
    Avid Angler
    RE: nicest buck 2008/09/23 23:21:28 (permalink)
    goby sounds like a hell of a hunt
    grimm reaper
    Avid Angler
    RE: nicest buck 2008/09/24 16:28:07 (permalink)
    kype did u kill that buck in the picture
    Jump to: