Brookies Galore

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/21 08:31:28 (permalink)

Brookies Galore

yesterday we hiked into a pond that is all wild brook trout. the hike in was so extreme that it would be very rare to find another angler on this water, yes the serious brookie hunter may venture up there but again it's rare. it was a just under 2hr. hike in through a serious up hill boulder field, which sucked coming back down. (my legs sure got a work out). this pond has such great reproduction that the dec collects the eggs from these wild fish to use for the stocking of other ponds. we knew for a fact that it holds 3 pound + brookies. our goal was to catch a wall hanger and release any fish that were not mortally injured. well we were into fish hard and fast right from the get go. they were everywhere, many in the 2>3 year class were caught and a few real drag screeming monsters were lost or broken off. at days in we had landed over 30 very nice brookies and could not count how many were missed strikes or lost. we never landed that monster fish we were after but have no doubt about what swims those waters. 5 brookies were kept due to injury and really we did not feel bad due to the number of fish we encountered there.
the water was still a tad on the warm side at 65degs. and the fish are starting to color up with bright spawning colors. this pond is perhaps now my favorite place to fish (except the misery of getting in there)
I did not take many photo's due to using my wife's camera and lord knows how many i have ruined on her by getting them wet. (maybe santa will bring me a waterproof) any way my buddy took a bunch of shots which i'll try to get from him.
here is just on pic of a little guy which was dinner.

post edited by hot tuna - 2008/09/21 08:37:40

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

5 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Brookies Galore 2008/09/21 16:38:43 (permalink)
    Nice fish tuna! wish I were up there close by.. lol .. was at my camper last three gorgeous days.. we played darts and i went alittle flyfishing on EBD.. water is low and clear and managed spotting some nive fish off the bridges up in the colder waters below the dam. Next week before that section is closed I am going to fish kayak some hard to get to pools to deep for wading. You got it made upstate! I am greatful too for my neck of the woods!
    mohawkriverdang
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Brookies Galore 2008/09/21 18:07:52 (permalink)
    Nice brookie tuna . I ended up going bassing . It sucked . 
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Brookies Galore 2008/09/21 23:44:00 (permalink)
    RJ, Nice fish and Story!!! WTG!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Brookies Galore 2008/09/22 00:41:03 (permalink)
      Hey Tuna ... thats a beautiful brookie... great colors on her!  That makes the killer hike worth it all   .. Hey I'll be calling you this week to see if you're still able to go fish a monday on the SR.    Mohawk Dan taught me some fly casting at the ADK show last week , he's a good teacher and a good man.                           
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Brookies Galore 2008/09/22 10:16:40 (permalink)
    Beauty, Tuna!

Wish I could have made it...  The Ausable was great this weekend- but about as low as it gets in terms of flow...  Temps in the river were still CHILLY at about 55-58...  We ended up with about 20 browns between the 3 of us- but no real pigs...

Also found two rainbows...

I am going to hike-in SOMEWHERE on the weekend of Oct 3-5...  If you are around that weekend we should combine our efforts!  Otherwise I am hauling the new Bell Canoe into a nice little Rainbow Haven in Warren County and spending the weekend in there...  Haven't camped there- but found a few sites that look AWESOME...

But if you are3 heading to Essex/Hamilton and want company- just say the word!

I hear the trout out of a few Hamilton Co. lakes and ponds are the "Windfall Strain" that look a lot like the colorations of that awesome Sqauretail you have pictured...  I guess Little Tupper and a few of the Whitney Lakes have the "Heritage Strain" which is badass too...  Native as they come, huh?

Sounds too burly to hike a canoe in there- but sure would love to troll some streamers in a place like that...  Black Nosed Dace or Mickey Finn streamers would SLAY THEM!  Keep in touch- gorgeous fish!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Jump to: