quick float question

Author
Screamin Steel
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 246
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/18 22:23:42 (permalink)

quick float question

I float fish, but don't centerpin. (I use a spinnig outfit.) I see the rigs usually used in centerpin float fishing use weight added just below the float to slow the float and keep it just tracking behind the lure or bait. (Because current at surface is faster.) My question is do the commercial floats with the lead weight already on the bottom, accomplish the same principle? I usually use Thill wooden floats, but have some of these weighted foam ones and was thinking of trying them. I usually don't weight my wooden floats, as most waters I fish for steelhead are relatively shallow and slow. I rarely am more than four feet between the float and the bait.

3 Replies Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: quick float question 2008/09/21 22:19:34 (permalink)
    I think to a point they do, but i would say most of the weights added to manufactured floats like that are more for casting purposes.  A good shot pattern is very critical for a good drift of your bait or fly.  Also with the weighted floats it would obviously take less shot to keep the floats standing straight, alot of guys have started modifying drennan floats and have been successful with them.  I like a good shot pattern because it keeps a consistent pattern from top to bottom not more weight at the top or more at the bottom keeping me aware of whats going on under the float at all times.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    anadromous fly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: quick float question 2008/09/23 19:23:29 (permalink)
    No they don't. A weight on the float only adds weight to stand the float up and fish true and aids in casting such light weight. A shot line is what does the work of tapping the bottom every few seconds and keeps the bait or fly moving in a natural presentation. On some rivers where no shot may be used then you can add weight to the float and glue it on and use weighted flies. Hope this helps.
    T

Anadromous FLY
    Please practice catch and release.
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

anadromous fly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: quick float question 2008/09/23 19:31:47 (permalink)
    One more thing. You can always wrap the float stem in .035 lead wire and shoe gue it, Works really well.

Anadromous FLY
    Please practice catch and release.
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

Jump to: