Author
Neversink Jimmy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/17 15:16:29 (permalink)

Jimmy: Junior Angler

Guys,

I feel silly posting something like this after all the MASSIVE bucketheads that everyone seems to be finding these past few weeks...

But in awhile, we will ALL be wishing for more fish photos that don't include ice augers and live bait, so...

Perch Inc. and I had an impromtu little outing on Snyders Lake yesterday afternoon...  He is right down the road- so we decided to get out for an hour or two and see what was shaking...

My first cast was the best one of the day, apparently... 

The rest of the afternoon was spent harrassing tiny panfish with fly rods and tiny tubejigs...

I wish I could tell you stories about the FISH MASSACRE that was committed- but no dice...  Slow day on Snyders...  Temps are starting to drop, and it seems like most fish are off the shorelines now...

But I will keep trying anyway!  Thanks to Perch for (always) enjoyable company...  If you guys ever get to fish with him- you should...

Thanks buddy!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman

8 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Jimmy: Junior Angler 2008/09/17 19:52:50 (permalink)

It's all about just getting out there ... the way i look at it, catching fish is just a bonus !!

But I will keep trying anyway! 

Same here :)

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Jimmy: Junior Angler 2008/09/17 23:48:58 (permalink)
    "No" Thank You Jimmy!!!!!!!  I had a GREAT Time!!  Better to fish and NOT catch any thing when NOT to fish at ALL!!  It's all about the "GOOD Company" and great stories any WAY!!!! Like brain said,  The Fish are a good bonus!!  Call me any TIME!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Jimmy: Junior Angler 2008/09/19 09:38:22 (permalink)
    Nice Snyderbeast Jimmy!  It wasn't just you guys, that little windy/cold front that blew in slowed down all of my spots... hard to even get a bite. Worst year ever at Tomhannock, high water all season making access to holes a nightmare. (no boats or wading allowed). Did PERCH bring some goosejerky?
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Jimmy: Junior Angler 2008/09/19 11:21:22 (permalink)
    No jerky, Barry...  And I didn't have the nuggets to ask for any...  Bu that stuff was GREAT!

I spend much of my workweek trying to help golf course superintendents reduce Canade Geese populations on their property.  "Greasing Eggs", using dogs to harrass them (legally), altering turf management to make habitat less desireable to Geese, etc.  Those birds beat the SNOT out of golf courses, and the droppings/turds burn the turf horribly...  Kills greens and tees in a heartbeat...  And that is expensive grass, man! 

(lets' keep your 'expensive grass' jokes to a minimum- this is a family site, boys!)

Even though I am an ecologist promoting environmental stewardship- the damage caused by huge non-migrating Canada Geese flocks takes a BOATLOAD of Chemical and Fertilizer to fix..  As well as a lot of irrigation, manhours, and fuel, etc...

So it is a 'lesser of two evils' approach...  Get rid of the birds (they have stopped migrating like they are 'supposed' to the past 20 years) and reduce your chemcial applications.  I much prefer the presence of bats, bluebirds and raptors (hawks, owls, etc) to help reduce insect and rodent issues.  Sure beats chemicals in the water!!!  Plus, who the hell doesn't like Bluebirds?

Got algea in your water features?  Get rid of the Copper Sulfate and buy some Triloid (Hybrid) Grass Carp!  They look cool, eat the algea, and can't reproduce if flooding sets them 'free'...  Sweet solution- and a whole lot better then two TONS of chemical in a pond to kill weeds that are only there because of too much fertilizer use on the property...  It's a friggin' WIN/WIN!

So now since I have tasted Perch's Goose Jerky- I have began advocating that guys get permits to shoot the geese on the course in the early AM (for safety to golfers and less potential for negative press, etc) and make those bastards into Jerky...  I told them it was delicious- but some guys are still skeptical.

Maybe I will need to invite them to next summer's Party, huh?

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Jimmy: Junior Angler 2008/09/19 14:32:35 (permalink)
    That still a Nice Snyders bass there Jimmy ....
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy: Junior Angler 2008/09/19 23:34:46 (permalink)
    Jimmy, I have always want to try and shot some geese with my bow it doesn't make much noise!!! If they need some one to take some of them Jerky Birds out of there I'm your man!!! If I can use a gun I'll take most of them out!!! Let me know the season closes on 9/25!!! I need some to make MORE Jerky for your Ice Fest!!!! If you do kill some, keep them and call me I'll take all you get!!! Hell I'd even try to catch them and ring their necks!! Or even better use my 9 Iron!!! FOOUURRR!!!!!   LOL
    post edited by Perch Inc. - 2008/09/19 23:37:37

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Jimmy: Junior Angler 2008/09/20 07:12:04 (permalink)
    Or even better use my 9 Iron!!!

Good chioce with the 9-iron (i' like the 6-iron, but all prsonal preference) LOL !!! I have this image in my head ... a bunch of guys out there in camo, faces painted up, putting back some cold ones chasing geese around ..... TOO FUNNY !!!!

"I smell varmint poontang. And the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang, I think"

"License to kill GEESE by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill GEESE at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote."
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2008/09/20 16:19:19
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy: Junior Angler 2008/09/20 23:43:36 (permalink)
    That's GREAT Brain!!!!!! LOL 

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Jump to: