WIND

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/15 15:50:13 (permalink)

WIND

I was wondering when you guys talk about hunting the wind how can you in PA did ever stand by a camp fire?We get some pretty bad swirling winds some days.

21 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: WIND 2008/09/15 19:47:14 (permalink)
    You have to hunt the prevailing wind and hope it doesn't swirl on you at the moment of truth...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: WIND 2008/09/16 01:11:36 (permalink)
    In my yard, the wind blows in the same general direction 90% of the time.  But, in the woods, it isn't a sure thing.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: WIND 2008/09/16 01:20:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: chicken27

I was wondering when you guys talk about hunting the wind how can you in PA did ever stand by a camp fire?We get some pretty bad swirling winds some days.

What do you mean? Not trying to be a smart**** but do you mean if you stand by a campfire and then go hunting? This statement isn't really clear.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: WIND 2008/09/16 07:46:56 (permalink)
    No i don't stand by a campfire then go hunting.I just used that for a example for the way the wind changes all the time.I just want to know  how to hunt down wind from these deer.I never really paid much mind to the wind. I wear scent blocker so should i really worry about the wind that much then?
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: WIND 2008/09/16 08:08:55 (permalink)
    YES!
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: WIND 2008/09/16 09:23:27 (permalink)
    Then can you explain how to hunt down wind.I really don't understand this theory.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3508
    RE: WIND 2008/09/16 11:58:49 (permalink)
    Pa. has very few days where the wind is truly light and variable.  Most of the time there will be a prevailing direction.

Choose to ignore it if you wish even with scent blocker but you are shortchanging yourself in a big way.
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: WIND 2008/09/16 12:37:01 (permalink)
    wind might be the most important factor in hunting(especially with a bow). you gotta think that deer lives there and anything that is foreign, he's gonna notice(whether you realize it or not). so just the slightest human scent will be enough for a big buck(and younger deer also) to pack it up and leave. once in the woods(and i dont know if anyone else notices this too)but when there is a front moving in, the wind seems to 95% of the time blow up the hollow towards the ridge and on clear days or in high pressures, the wind seems to blow more down the hollows. i may be completely insane and going out of my mind but this is what i've noticed and this is how i hunt the wind and it works for me. i use two stands and have them set up at different locations so i can hunt one or the other depending on which way the wind is blowing that day(and also morning or evening). hope this helps. if not, think of it as nonsense and call me insane.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: WIND 2008/09/16 13:13:14 (permalink)
    Alright i usally know which way the deer are coming but do i want the wind to be in my face the way the deer are coming?Another thing is if the wind is in your face then why would the deer walk to you if the wind is blowing across there back or can they smell stuff when the air goes pass there nose?
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: WIND 2008/09/16 13:25:43 (permalink)
    The main thing you want is your scent to be blowing away from where the deer are coming from and that it never crosses their path. If you have a general idea of travel patterns you can set up you stand or position accordingly to be on the downwind side of their path depending on wind direction for that day. That may mean catching them crossing at odd angles to your position, but they still feel safe moving.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: WIND 2008/09/16 21:40:29 (permalink)
    What cracks me up are the Scent-loc guys who jump in and out of thier trucks all season with it on and then hang it in the garage at home cause it's "scent-loc"..

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: WIND 2008/09/17 13:03:38 (permalink)
    wind is super important even with the best cover scents, clothes, etc.  think about how much air you transfer just breathing in and out? snuff in your lip? BUSTED.  haha, that being said, generally, not always, when the sun hits the ground in the morning and warms the air the air moves uphill.  In the evening as the sun begins to set and the air cools it moves downhill into the valleys. again if there is a strong front moving through, this wont be the case.  (i like to hunt saddles, tops of gullys, and off the ends of ridges.  these areas are notorious for swirling winds), **the deer know this, and it gives them an idea of whats waiting for them up ahead, as well as if anything is following them. **now that parts just an opinion, but it seems to be the case.  the big boys are truely genious, as well as old does.  good luck,

i hear that MM!! that kills me!

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: WIND 2008/09/17 13:16:31 (permalink)
    Chicken

Wind direction is also determined by terrain.  You will generally get the most consistent wind direction the higher altitude you are and the most inconsistent the lower you are.   Wind coming off a ridge blowing down generally cuts back to the ridge half way down.  While the prevailing wind is blowing down, you have to hunt above the trails while hunting half way up the ridge.  Where the wind cuts back, is determined by the steepness of the ridge, strength of the wind.  It might sound complex, because it is.  Trying to understand the complexitity of wind and how it interacts with terrain is mind boggling, and the only way to learn it is being out in the field using two or more people with constant communication (cell, walkie talkie, etc..).  Down over points are the most inconsistent of all.  It comes to no surprise that this is where the older deer move thru. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: WIND 2008/09/17 15:46:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

What cracks me up are the Scent-loc guys who jump in and out of thier trucks all season with it on and then hang it in the garage at home cause it's "scent-loc"..

What cracks me up even more than that are the far greater numbers of hunters who do the same with regular camo.  I see/know a huge number of bowhunters who pay no attention to scent control whatsoever with their clothing, go out in the woods, put 2 squirts of scent eliminator on, and think they are good to go.  No matter what you wear the precautions to avoid your scent are still the same.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: WIND 2008/09/17 16:17:22 (permalink)
    My dad smokes cigarettes when he hunts we tell him not to but he won't listen.But ever year he gets a nice buck or misses two or three with his bow.Does cigarette smoke hurt you or does it cover your human scent up?One of my favorite spots to hunt is on a steep hill side so should i only hunt it in the morning or what or just really give this wind thing a try?
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: WIND 2008/09/17 16:27:09 (permalink)
    14 yo

Unless the deer are smokers in the woods,I think yes cigarette smoke would give the deer a clue that something is not right in the woods.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: WIND 2008/09/17 20:27:02 (permalink)
    A great obstacle to overcome in hunting whitetail deer is their incredible sense of smell. There are many scents on the market available to help overcome this issue; however, I have utilized many of them and although many work somewhat, none have proved to be able to completely deceive a whitetail deer’s ability to detect the slightest hint of human odor.

There is one method effective in overcoming this issue; always hunt with the wind in your face. When still-hunting, always choose a direction to travel so the prevailing wind is either in your face or a crosswind. When stand-hunting, determine the prevailing wind direction versus likely whitetail deer routes; position your stand so it is downwind of the deer routes.

Prior to leaving home to go whitetail deer hunting, get on the internet, go to www.weather.com and check out the current and forecasted weather and wind directions for the entire day. Sometimes the forecasts are incorrect, so also check the wind direction when driving to your whitetail deer hunting area. Flags and fires are good ways to determine the wind direction while driving. Utilize this information in conjunction with a hunting area map to determine the best approach to your stand or still-hunting area

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: WIND 2008/09/18 07:44:20 (permalink)
    don't get me wrong i know scent is important but i do think people worry about it a little to much. i also smoke on my way to the woods in my vehical but usually not in the woods and spray down before walking in and i've been seeing nice bucks the last couple of years hit a monster 2 years ago last year shot a doe opening morning figured i wouldn't see **** that night so was smokeing a cig in the stand 5 min later seasons over killed a nice 8 point
    also havn't had one wind me in my stand but was busted once drawing back
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: WIND 2008/09/18 14:55:51 (permalink)
    As long as you are downwind, and the wind does not swirl on you, you could theoretically take a large dump right on the platform of your stand and then shoot a nice deer.  But, with the way the wind is where I hunt, it is not advisable.

I also think that the steady increase of pressure during archery season has made it more difficult to kill a nice buck than it was 15 years ago.  So take every precaution.

chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: WIND 2008/09/20 07:20:48 (permalink)
    I was wondering if anise mix with vanilla would work to cover your scent for deer?I used it in canada an had a bear walk right under my stand.They say bear have a real good sense of smell also.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: WIND 2008/09/22 00:11:54 (permalink)
    I think scent control is much better than scent cover up for deer no matter what you are using.

Jump to: