Possibilities using Lures?

Author
fishON4Me
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 142
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/11 19:44:31 (permalink)

Possibilities using Lures?

This is my first steelhead season and I want to check everything before heading out. IS it possible to fishing with lures while standing on the piers or walls of Walnut or else where without making people made? I heard it gets really busy like shoulder to shoulder fishing and did not want to bother anyone. It just seems like I have better luck when fishing with lures rather then jigs or anything that is light because I never know when a fish is on since I cannot keep my line tight enough without line slacking from my rod tip to the float. Thanks in advance and God Bless America today and everyday on this 7th Anniversary of 9/11!

7 Replies Related Threads

Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Possibilities using Lures? 2008/09/11 20:00:41 (permalink)
    Fish toward the lake end of the Walnut walls and the mouth of trout in waders, shouldn't get too much grief.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Possibilities using Lures? 2008/09/11 22:16:57 (permalink)
    Little Cleos and Mepps spinners near the mouth

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Possibilities using Lures? 2008/09/11 22:27:13 (permalink)
    FishON, don't give up so easily on the float fishing.  Its way to early for you to do that.  It is, however, good to be versitile with baits and presentation because you never know what they might be biting on.  Tend to your line and watch for that float to go under, it usually means you have a fish on!  Put your time in, you'll get it.

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Possibilities using Lures? 2008/09/12 06:50:35 (permalink)
    Fishonme,
       Yes...."the wall" and the peirs get shoulder to shoulder packed. And yes...you can fish spoons and spinners without being disruptive to others. I use small cleos (1/4 and smaller), and little rooster tails. My only advice would be make sure your casting skills are fine tuned, crossed lines could **** off even the pope. I also agree with Shutupnfish...don't give up on the float. While i do love my spoons, i tend to fish a float if the bite is on, and switch to hard tackle in the slower times. Good luck...Welcome to Thunderdome....I mean Erie.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Possibilities using Lures? 2008/09/12 09:29:00 (permalink)
    I had been fishing all day one time on elk(like JAN or FEB), and I had caught my usual 2 fish, it was getting towards evening, i was floating CM with a Globug tied on, and I floated an enormous hole, had it to myself, which is sorta a rarity, and an old fella stumbled down the bank behind me, casted a huge spoon from a pole i would use for catfish, caught a fish on the 2nd cast, right where I had just been, released it, casted 2 more times, hooked up again, it got off, must have been too late for him, and he left the creek. he spent like 15 mins and had more success then I had all day, pretty embarassing, humbling, and most of all frustrating, if i spin fished for steel, i would use lures, and Im thinking about backpacking in a second pole, would make sense, i was always under the impression that midseason steel were lathargic and wouldnt hit a lure, i was appearantly way off on that one.
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Possibilities using Lures? 2008/09/12 10:05:11 (permalink)
    fishON4Me,

Try throwing some daredevils and trout magnets.  I haven't had much success personally but I haven't used them regulary either.  A buddy of mine as done descent on the trout magnets.  Try white and gold.  I don't like using spoons when there are too many people around for obvious reasons.  If you get a hole to yourself give it a go.  I have read posts in the past on this site were guys said spoons work very well.  Can't go wrong with little mepps spinners or rooster tails.  Like shutupnfish said keep your options open becuase you never know what they'll be in the mood for.

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    Brookie1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Possibilities using Lures? 2008/09/12 11:55:39 (permalink)
    Pa Lures slow and steady off the bottom.
    Jump to: