Boats that sink?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Brad1
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 338
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 10:16:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

A self draining cockpit is also pretty much a must have if you do take on water ever.

I couldn't agree more. Preferrably, all water should drain overboard without the need for bilge pumps. You don't want to rely on bilge pumps as the primary means for means for evacuating water from the boat. Ideally, the water should not get into the bilge in the first place. That's not to say that bilge pumps are not a necessity. They are an absolute necessity. And you should have more than one and they should all be high capacity. But bilge pumps should be viewed as a secondary means for evacuating water from the boat.

Also, check the plumbing for all your through hull fittings. Anything below the waterline should have a shut off and be double clamped. Watch the plastic through hulls. They have been known to crack over time.

One thing I do on my boat is carry a rapid ditch bag by ACR. It floats and is waterproof. Within the bag, I keep a handheld VHF, flare gun kit, handheld GPS, whistle, emergency flag / streamer, inflatable PFD, floatable compass. I also throw my truck keys and wallet in the bag before I leave the dock (should the boat go down and we get rescued, it'd be nice to be able to drive home).
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6353
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 10:26:23 (permalink)
Joe dirt,
    Sorry to have gelped steal your thread.  Now back to your original ?  What happens to boats that sink.  Some of them just remain on the bottom, you cna call the coast guard to determine what the salvage laws are in your area.  Some, if they are deemed a hazard to navigation are removed by the CG and destroyed.  As for salvage;  unless you are an experienced salvage diver and are very familiar with operating around wrecks, or you can find one in VERY shallow water, I would advise staying away from any wreck.  Wrecks can be festooned with fishing line, anchor ropes, mooring ropes and other detrious and could make your recovery effort into a body recovery effort by the CG.  So if they sink, most of them stay where they sank.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1834
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 10:51:54 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

Thats sure is a nice boat BUT it is NOT TRAILERABLE, Which most guys are looking for. The maximum width you are aloowed to trailer is 102" or 8'6" without a permit for each state you would pull the boat through. I had a Thompson 260 that had a 10' beam and never got caught towing it but it would get very expensive if one was caught doing so. The permit is basically impossible to acquire UNLESS you have commercial insurance for towing. The permits are not real expensive but they will not issue one without the insurance.

Steiger builds em as TRUE Sizes.  A 23 is 23' and a 26 is 26'. Ive been on 30ft boats that didnt feel as big as the 26....And been on 27s that didnt feel as big as the 23.  I just love their boats.  It will be a slight upgrade from the trophy when i decide to buy one...lol

And yeah they can handle the trailer boats too:
Well if you want trailer heres their 255.  25'6" 8'6" wide 22degrees of deadrise 300HP and 6000lbs dry

25ft boat too much for you? Thats ok! They make a 23 too...19 degrees of deadrise 5000lbs.

post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2008/09/09 10:59:53

CB
I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 14:36:37 (permalink)
That 25 looks SWEEET!
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 15:16:51 (permalink)
I would think they are a little underpowered for their weight/hp as shown. Can you get them with twins on a bigger bracket?  Are their lengths measured to the transom or to the bracket?  Nice looking fishing boats.

Speaking of boats, anyone know what years Baha Cruisers had bad stringers?  They get beat up pretty bad on thehulltruth.com but they do have their defenders.  Almost everyone agrees they have a great layout and design for fishing just the build quality can be suspect on certain models from certain years.  Anyone know anything about or know anyone that runs a 1995 251 Sportfisherman (has the eurostyle transom)?

To stay on topic, the best one stop shopping for learning about boats, their construction and most other things marine is thehulltruth.com.  Just like anything on the internet though, you need to take most things with a grain of salt and understand a lot of people have their biases. 

Me, I'd like an 80's model 28-32' bertram flybridge with diesels but hey, we can't always get what we want. 
Brad1
Expert Angler
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 15:40:30 (permalink)
Steiger makes one of the best, if not thee best, looking boats IMO.

On the other hand, I was blown away several weeks ago by the site of another boat running on Lake Erie. Solid 3 footers, following sea, and the boat I witnessed was skimming across the water at a speed much faster than my low to mid 20s mph, without so much as a slight shimmy or bobble. It looked like a missle. Turns out it was a 31 ft Contender. Wow, what an amazing looking ride.

One thing to consider when buying a boat is to be careful about buying one long distance. After I sold my Proline in April of '03, and before I bought my Grady in September of '04, I bought a new boat of a different brand (I'm legally prevented from disclosing it) and had a serious warranty issue with it. Unfortunately, the nearest dealership (also the dealership I purchased it from) was 500 miles away. What an extreme PITA that ordeal was. Lost an entire season due to it. No way, never again will I buy long distance. After I got out from under that mistake, when I went on my search for my next boat, I decided I would limit my search to brands that had dealerships no further than I was willing to drive for a day of fishing (about 150 miles). That narrowed my choice down to only select brands. Think my choices came down to Proline, Edgewater, BW, Key West, Grady White, and Wellcraft (there's probably a couple I forgot). Seems no one wanted to deal except the Grady dealer. And even then it was only on a leftover model. I managed to get a leftover (albiet new) Grady for about 20% to 25% under what they were selling for.

LOL, thehulltruth.com <== I spend way too much time on that site. I'm closing in on my 3,000th post on that site. What can I say, I'm a freakin' boat junky.

Now if I can only learn to catch fish.  
pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5951
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 16:57:00 (permalink)
2008 STEIGER CRAFT 255 DV BLOCK ISLAND 250 HP BRAND NEW $71,995.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-STEIGER-CRAFT-255-DV-BLOCK-ISLAND-250-HP-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ140265342911QQihZ004QQcategoryZ31270QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

post edited by pghmarty - 2008/09/09 17:03:38

Blowchowski
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 17:04:43 (permalink)
THT junkie myself. Blowchowski AKA Classic25 over there. Used to be Blowchowski until I got my Carolina Classic, and low and behold Wiley offered up a "change your user name" op.

Can I change my user name here?
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 17:44:11 (permalink)
The 255 with 250 or 300 is said to cruise in the high 20's and max out around 40mph...Its also available with twin 175s.  Not under powered in the least.

The 26 with twin 250s will literally lay waste to anything in its path and run up into the 30s with no problem it is a pure battle wagon capable of going offshore.  Suzuki Outboards simply have more torque than the competition and the guys at steiger swear by them.

My next boat is going to be a Steiger 255, 26 (if i decide to dock), or a Parker 2510...Im actually leaning towards the Parker, just simply because i can find one used and they are a lighter boat which makes them slightly more economical to run.....If I were buying new it would be Steiger all the way.  Guess we will see when the time comes...Probaly a year away...

CB
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 17:49:43 (permalink)
A marine surveyor just told me 1995 and newer Baha SHOULD be a good solid boat but have it surveyed!

That boat very nice but about $70,000.00 out of my budget! lol
mothermoose
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 18:44:56 (permalink)
Personally I like a MAKO

Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 20:16:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

A marine surveyor just told me 1995 and newer Baha SHOULD be a good solid boat but have it surveyed!

That boat very nice but about $70,000.00 out of my budget! lol

At 70K might as well spring the next 30k and get yourself 10ft of beam and 500hp...lol

Thats a brand new price....

I think if you look at a New Baha or Sportcraft it may shock you in terms of how they compare in price, and the steiger is 10X the boat a Baha or a Sportcraft is and they hold their value much better...I know ill get beat up for that, but sorry its true.  I would much rather have a 26 Steiger than a 299 Baha (both go for around 90K NEW).

From the best of my knowledge Baha didnt start making the no rot stringer grid until 1997.  Might want to look into that if you are looking at a 1995.  The ones prior to that had very poop fiberglass work over the wood stringer grid and they were prone to rot if water was in the bilge...When this occurs stringers require rebuilds which are both costly and will never gain the same integrity that the hull originally had when it was first produced. 

Nice thing with alot of these smaller builders is you can talk to the owners 1st hand.  I have been talking with Al and John Steiger for the past 6 months about their boats...they are great people and build one hell of a boat...Same company with the same owners since 1972 and they put a LIFETIME warrenty on the hull, deck, and stringers...now thats saying something...

Steiger's direct competiton is Parker.  They go against the all glass boat pretty much stating a wood stringer grid is stronger, requires less materials, and is incapable of rotting as long as the encapsulating is done properly.  They have a cult like following throughout the Chesapeake Bay and Carolinas.  Their boats are similar in size, power, features, and looks.

Sportcraft and Baha have a new owner and are filing bankrupcy every 10 years.  Even a 25 year transferable warrenty does little for you if the company who offered it goes down the toilet and then is rebuilt by another company who buys the molds.  Sportcraft has gone in and out of business 3 times in the past 25 years....

70K is a ton of change for a boat, but personally i know guys who have pieced together boats for years throwing cash at them.  Seems like they have a new one every 2-3 years that they are dumping money into.  I think one buddy i know has 30k Wrapped up into 4 boats over the past 5 years all of which have been less than quality rides...Rebuilding transoms, stringers, motors, buying new gear, electronics, ect for each one...thats more wasteful than purchasing new.
post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2008/09/09 20:19:08

CB
pghmarty
Pro Angler
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 21:04:57 (permalink)
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/09 21:58:58 (permalink)
1986 was before the all glass construction and the lifetime warrenty.

CB
pghmarty
Pro Angler
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/10 01:43:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

1986 was before the all glass construction and the lifetime warrenty.

That is probably why it is so cheap!
Brad1
Expert Angler
RE: Boats that sink? 2008/09/10 07:20:39 (permalink)
I used to subscribe to the woodfree thing. That was until I bought my first woodfree boat in 2003. Let me tell something, unless your living in the South (which I doubt any of us are), woodfree is not necessarily better than wood.

When I was rigging my brand new, never seen the water before a sea trial, wood free boat (the one I purchased before my Grady White, but I can't mention the brand name due to an agreement I have with the manufactorer), I drilled the holes in the transom to install a transducer mounting plate. When I drilled one of the holes, water came out. Determined cause: An improperly sealed scupper, allowing water to enter into a void between the transom core and the outer layup of glass. The boat came that way from the factory. The manufactorer tried to fix it, but couldn't do so successfully. They offered me a new boat, even a larger one of their brand. I said no way. If it was made in that plant, I don't want it. So I went boatless for '03.

Here's why no wood can be just as bad as wood. Even though there's no wood to rot, we live in a freezing climate. When water intrusion occurs (and it occurs just as easily with wood free boats), that water will freeze in the winter, and we all know that when water freezes, it expands. With the freezing and thawing cycles, the laminated structure, de-laminates.

Coincidently, my older brother bought a Scout that same year. Guess what. Water in the transom. Could not figure out how it was getting in there. Manufactorer wouldn't do anything about it because they said the transom couldn't rot. He asked what about the delamination due to freezing. They said they would address that once the damage occurred. He ended up having to put drain plugs in the transom to let the water out. That's how bad it was. He tried to figure out how the water was getting in by injecting low pressure natural gas into the void and using a "sniffer" to detect where the gas was coming out of. It was coming out so many places, he couldn't figure out where to begin. He has since moved it to, and keeps it in Florida, so nothing further happened to it.

What seems to be happening is that some of these manufactorers of wood free boats are becoming lazy with their encapsulation work given the reasoning that there is no wood to rot. I don't think this applies to all of them, but some of the lower to mid priced, large scale production boat manufactors.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: