Questions for our fly fishermen

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/05 14:39:05 (permalink)

Questions for our fly fishermen

I don't know **** about flyfishing but I see how rabid you guys are when it comes to it.  How does a guy learn from scratch?  Would you recommend a school or are you able to pick it up from reading stuff on the net? Are those flyrods at****s any good, or could you recommend a basic setup? 
  I am sick of getting skunked at the Salmon River with spinning gear and a stupid yarnball or egg on my hook, while the flyguys get hookups left and right.  I'm starting to see the light.
Excuse my ignorance, but I know we've got some real pros here (Tuna, Jimmy , Dan).  Thanks, you guys rock! 

7 Replies Related Threads

cuchef
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Questions for our fly fishermen 2008/09/05 14:46:53 (permalink)
    I have fished for as long as I can remember.  I have only been fly fishing for about three years.  I know the pain you are going through.  I've caught more and bigger fish with fly gear than I ever did with spinning or baitcasting rigs.  However the reason that most fly fisherman are hard headed about their chosen method is probably due to the fact that it takes time and practice kind of like archery hunting.  What are you mainly trying to fish for?

"Cheat me on the price not the product."
    cuchef
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Questions for our fly fishermen 2008/09/05 14:52:44 (permalink)
    A couple of good books to read before you buy anything are the L.L. Beans Guide to Flyfishing and Orvis' Flyfishing Guide. These will give you tips on rigging, knots, basic casting and gear.  Fish for sunfish first you won't get frustrated and casting on water is a whole different ballgame from fly casting in your yard.

"Cheat me on the price not the product."
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Questions for our fly fishermen 2008/09/05 15:00:01 (permalink)
    I'm no pro by no means but for a starter setup a couple of years ago I got a 8' 5wt cortland from dicks($40)and a wide arbor cortland($40) from gander and put 5wt WF floating line($20) on it. i used it starting out on bluegill/pond bass/ and stocked trout. again i'm no pro and not really even an experienced fly guy but i have managed to tie up some flies, streamers and such and actually caught fish on them(a couple days of trout fishing were 10+)doesn't sound like much but when your just starting out, it's an accomplishment. i learned the to fly more for the reason of catching trout on the days when they wouldnt touch anything from a spinning rod. but at the same time i fell in love with it. so yeah, i wouldnt go for the cheapest rod(walmart) but i wouldnt buy anything fancy. st croix also makes a great rod for the price at gander. but just do as you do with a spinning rod and get what feels good to you(in your price range) then hit up your back yard(practice practice practice) or the local farm pond/city park pond/etc. and catch a bunch of bluegill/bass for a few days until you get the hang of it. i tried watching vidoes/other fisherman and nothing will help you out more than just actually getting out and learning to cast your self. watch someone to get the basic motions down then cast the way you feel comfortable. also, if your buying something for salmon, you might want to get something bigger than a 5wt(what i have). something like a 7-8wt. with a heavy leader. hope this helps and if i need corrected on anything(from someone who REALLY knows what they're talking about, again i'm just stating what has worked for me and not how it really should be). but again hope this helps.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Questions for our fly fishermen 2008/09/05 17:45:15 (permalink)
    NYY:
    to be quite honest a spin fisher can (should) be able to out catch a fly fisher in most situations.
    I am a versatile angler, each type of fishing style has it's pro's & con's.
    Lets say, ADK pond fishing, one can catch more trout with a worm & wobblers than fly rod & fly.
    It just covers more water and produces a greater attraction for the fish.
    Now lets say Salmon River Salmon, Here the Trad. Fly rod & reel (fly line of course) shines.
    You (should) are fishing close range and in mid depths (5' or less) to aggressive fish.
    A spin rod is not the best tool for this due to having to reel in to cast and adding weight instead of a mend.
    Ok still with me ?
    Steelhead in winter (below mid 40's water temp), Now once again spin rod will kick a fly rodders ****, thin line, slow & deep.

How to get started ?
    Mohawkriverdan (sorry buddy) will be giving a casting instruction here:http://www.adkshow.com/
    LL Bean (crossgates mall) gives a crash course in casting for $15.00 1/2 hr. it's ok.
    Hook up with a fellow caster, I'm always on the SR this time of year until next MAY
    Finally and not promoting, but hire a knowledgeable fly guide. Any good guide will provide you with all the right tools and proper instruction. On the water learning is the best way to learn casting , drifts, seams, mends and proper water to fish. I have hired many guides.

Rods & Reels:
    Don't rush into something unless you know what you want and how it will be used.
    Believe me I have more than 50 rods, each has it's own purpose.
    Cheap is ok as long as it's quality. If it is cheap/crap than that’s all it will ever be, a struggle from the get go.
    I would expect to pay $100.00 rod & reel set-up for trout & or bass.
    If your looking more toward Salmon & Steel , Figure on double, a decent reel for these fish will run you $100.00
    Sale & Bargain shop. Closeouts & discontinued models are the way to go. You'll save at least 1/2 off and get quality products.

I'll be looking forward to your PM:
    Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    mohawkriverdang
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Questions for our fly fishermen 2008/09/05 22:48:28 (permalink)
    if you want to learn , you must be willing to get through the first year or two . Get a cheep 6wt set-up 60-150 bucks . IMO its the most versatile rod for most fishing round here . You can use it for little brookies on up to carp . Salmon are gonna require a bigger stick . \When I started I hated it for about 2 solid years .
    Wind knots , tree snags , learning knots , getting skunked often , snapping off flies , you name it it will go wrong , and may become frustrating . It took me years to enjoy fly fishing . Now its all I do . Haven't fished with conventional gear for a couple years now . Tuna is right about the ratio of fly to spin catch rate . Fly fishing is less productive than other methods most of the time .

Its about chalenging yourself , Overcoming adversities , and adapting to conditions , all while limiting your methode .

Fly fishing will make you a better fisherman .
    You will learn new knots .
    you will learn to READ water .
    You will pay attention to what is going on in and around the water in order to figure out what may be hatching .
    You will intimately know your home waters .
    You learn all about bugs and will start taking pictures of them and get excited when you see a big azz hex hatch or coffin spinner fall .
    get used to having dead stuff around . If its furry or has feathers on it , its fair game .

I love teaching the mechanics . I can have most people casting good enough to fish in about 12-15 minutes . Noone is "ready" to fly fish at that point but they will understand the transfer of energy from body to rod to line . Then its water time . Water is unforgiving and sticky to fly line . One bad back cast and the whole line will pile up at your feet or worse in the back of your head .
    I could go on and on about casting . Love to see you at the ADK show , Or even better on the water .
    Anytime . I'm no pro but I'll get you casting .
    Get a rod and some shades for your eyes and we'll take it from there .

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Questions for our fly fishermen 2008/09/06 13:57:04 (permalink)
    mohawk is right, it takes time and patient to learn how to fish like a pro. Starting out simple is fine i guess but using inexpensive cheap gear is never recommended imho.  You want to be outfitted with quality line and a dependable  rod combo'd with the smoothest reel drag. I remember catching bows pretty much the same blitz and his buddy caught in the nyc resi years ago.You guys had a blast i'm sure. Spinfishing is just fine for salmon as long as you are prepared.. flyfishing is kinda more rewarding knowing you subdued a bigger on a flyrod. I wouldn't want to freeze my fingers come chill of nov.. i like using spinning and the same principle float technic used by those centerpin fishermen. Just try to stay as light as possible. in fact main line should not have to exceed 8lb test for steelheading in pulaski. tippets are less in most cases 5lb test  greenmaxima is good choice. hook size too the colors so on.. but drift technic ..reading pocket water presentation even walking and positioning along a stretch can make a difference. I learned by experience some reels freeze and better quality reels such as my stradics will not freeze in sub freezing tempertures. All this can make a difference. It all comes down to handson and learning from experience or the experienced. I like fly fishing alot, still have no patient to learn the skill of fly tying though i have a few kits.. For me, it is another 20 bucks insurance  of knowing i'm using professional tied flies(got to match the hatch)at the  local flyshops along the waters I intend to fish. I stick a couple in my waders get down to business smiling listening for some fish.. when i'm finished i go back to the cooler for another couple of cold ones for my waders/vest.. back down in the water listening for fish dragging flies! yup i'm professional  been doing this for quite along time!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Questions for our fly fishermen 2008/09/07 03:22:06 (permalink)
    Wow--- You guys are alright.  I am real glad you took the time to educate me here.  Some very interesting points were brought up by Tuna and Dan about the comparisons between spin fishing and flyfishing. I thought flyguys always kicked**** 
    Cuch, Brown, and Back... thanks for all your input it helps a lot.  Much obliged!
    Dan-  I appreciate your candor about how frustrating it can be. I tend to get ticked off easily when I screw up so I know now to expect mistakes and I can chill about it. I'd like to check out your demos at the ADK show... don't know jack about Gloversville but I can google the address and find the place.  I'd like to make a donation to your friend's family also, though I can't go to the dinner.
    Tuna-  You obviously know your stuff, I feel like a kid in a lecture hall. Thanks for the advice and your offer is very much appreciated. 
    OK enough fish talk its 315am.     Happy fishing all-  Barry
    Jump to: