Numbers observation

Author
rex_of_angli
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/29 17:38:33 (permalink)

Numbers observation

I work in the woods of west central Pa and have been noticing a terrible trend.  The turkey flocks are low on peep numbers here.  I do see a flock of 17 at my house, but in the woods at work it is sad.  One peep with a hen.  ANd some groups with two or three.  I am also seeing more coyote than ever which I am sure is part of the problem if not the problem.  I saw a mother with 6 pups two weeks ago. and four more different adults since then.  Fishers are also showing up.  I have been seeing single one about every other day or so and now there is another group of two running around.  I also have barely seen any grouse (1 with peeps) and not many rabbit.  Has anyone else noticed this?

7 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Numbers observation 2008/08/29 18:59:39 (permalink)

Where I live in Warren County I'am either seeing lone hens or hens with one or two peeps. I did find a big dusting area a couple days ago. We had a real wet spring which could account for some of the loss and also yotes and fishers. Apparently when the PGC released the fishers they didn't tell them they were only allowed to kill porkeys. They have finally got the hay off a lot of the fields so maybe some more will show up.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Numbers observation 2008/08/29 20:50:06 (permalink)
    Was like that here for quite a few years. Turkey numbers dropping, less grouse and rabbits also. And there was a very large yote population in the area.
    The Yote hunters have been pounding the hell out of them the last few years and the small game has made a noticeable rebound...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

rex_of_angli
    New Angler
    RE: Numbers observation 2008/08/29 21:26:44 (permalink)
    The numbers have been declining for years you are right.  I think I just really have noticed this year.  I dont think anyone is hunting coyotes around here...at least not that much.  They are not even running from the truck.  I snuck up to a pup with in 20 feet.  I hope it is just a cyclical thing and it will come around.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Numbers observation 2008/09/02 01:36:34 (permalink)
    Shoot them yotes.  That will help!
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    RE: Numbers observation 2008/09/02 07:57:59 (permalink)
    I beleive the yotes take a large no. of the birds. The hunters around my house have been hammering them for the past 4 years and finally am seeing more birds. I haven,t heard the howling this year neither.

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Numbers observation 2008/09/04 21:27:41 (permalink)
    I ain't scaurred to whack a yote! If you have some around I will spend the time and efforts necasary to eliminate your problem. Would love to spend some time calling them in.
    rex_of_angli
    New Angler
    RE: Numbers observation 2008/09/05 22:53:10 (permalink)
    Big Fathead,    
    it is about a 5000 acre piece of private property that only a select few get to hunt.  I have called them from an adjacent piece of property, but you got to deal with a 10 foot fence on side and a river on the other.  They will answer back to calls but wont committ.  I get the priveledge of driving through it on a daily basis checking gas wells.  But if you want to give it he!!, I am up for it.  The is a ton around this area and other areas I know.  I can usually hear them howling at night off of my deck.
    Jump to: