Badass Linesider

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/15 21:49:18 (permalink)

Badass Linesider

I believe this is the NY state record smallest striper.  I managed to haul this brute in after a stiff battle on my kattakari rig.   I can't recall seeing one so small... but all the fins are where they should be and the line down the side is pretty clear... I think we're talkin a 5" striper. I put him right back after a quick pic.

Unfortunately, he was the biggest one we landed all day, though i got a couple herring mauled up with no hookup. Beautiful day on the river, but I saw nobody landing anything.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

21 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/05/16 20:48:00 (permalink)
    NY
    can you post the pic ?
    attachments i would not suggest

i'm sure you had fun and thats what it's about

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/05/20 22:33:53 (permalink)
    Sorry heres that baby striper... Not too good operating the photos here< I hope it shows up. 

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/05/20 22:35:25 (permalink)
    Looks like I'm an uploading fool.... i clicked embed picture in post but it doesnt seem to work
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/05/20 23:28:46 (permalink)
    You need to store the picture in a site like photobucket then use the http// address.

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/05/24 12:20:19 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot Marty

All this for a 5' fish.... LOL   Okay i got the UL thing going now , here she is...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/05/24 13:40:04 (permalink)
    New York Yank:
    LOL!!!!!!!!
    a little fish info
    that is a white perch you got there son
    too funny
    thanks for the pic, i'm sure we will be seeing some great shots

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/05/25 03:26:56 (permalink)
     I didnt even consider that....  look at the distinctive lines...with one set of "blocks" off line just like all of them... sure looked like a striper to me, but by golly it is a white perch (i have only ever seen yellow ones). His head does look perchy now that you mention it. Well you can dip me in **** and call me Sally.  I'm not an icthyologist I just try to catch the darn things LOL
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/05/27 16:51:03 (permalink)
    don't feel so bad yank, i would have mistakened it for a walleye! ...blhahaha.. just kidding.. i use to catch a few those WP  in greenwood lk.and tioroti lk. ..never really got into enough to fry a bunch.  Guys i know it's been awhile since i last posted here so let me fill an update(no pics though sorry)  been trolling last week few days in pepacton we used mini dipsy diver and sutton #71/#33/#72 and lure jensen crocs also a 1/4oz. silver pheobe. The two of us had almost perfect drift troll weather for rowing about 10 miles of water each outing.  first day started out late around 9:am and fished to about 6pm  we took 5 fish total  biggest 5.5 and 6lbs. and smaller 4lb and around   2lbs.  all were brown trout. We were trolling using  light tackle 6lb fireline with 8lb flouro carbon tippet on a torpedo diver on one rod and a mini-dipsy on the other rod,we used just one rod each that day.Second day started same time and finished around 4:30pm with 5 fish total again me catching largest about 10lbs. on my #72 sutton & mini-dipsy and about a 4lber. also friend catch 3 fish between 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 lbs.  the second day we flat lined a silver 1/4 pheobe in between the two other trooling rods and it worked out fine and took a small 2 lber. .... All browns were released immediately and unharmed in the cold spring temp waters all but one the last day ( 2lbs we ate for dinner)...flyfishing was okay for the stream ..used typical local flies bluewing olives and spinners and seen alot of caddis hatch ..was nice to see them. Today and all this weekend i'm home with my loved ones enoying memorial holiday barbacue and  the pool /summer weather.. If any you guys are interested, me and my buddy mentioned above are scheduling a trip to Oneida lake for hopefully nice walleye and perch or anything  for grillin and chillin! Also, if anyone here knows or experienced any oneida lake ny fishing or camping around that huge body of water with those many marinas advertised etc., i would greatly appreciate it. Would like to know the best layed back easy going places to fish there as we will be going sometime middle of june for a couple of days. Have a good one and hope to reply to you all soon! i think we will try charlies marina and campsite.  hOPING EVERYBODY IS WELL AND HAPPY
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/06/01 10:08:34 (permalink)
    Sounds like a good time at Pepacton Back. I've been meaning to try trolling with those mini-dipsies, but haven't got around to it. Any tips or tricks you have would be appreciated.

Have you ever trolled with "flatfish". I've had great success in the NYC ressies with these lures, mostly in the coachdog and blue pirate colors. But that was in the murkier downstate ressies. Different colors would probably be needed in the cleaner catskill ressies.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/06/05 21:33:25 (permalink)
    Hook, sorry i took so long ..not like i look as often here much these days being i'm trying to work and shedule myself more timeoff for the american outdoors. This weekend was a very short one ..started out getting the cooler packed with food etc.on humid late afternoon saturday. Me and my buddy shoved off on neversink next morning and trolled up two nice browns around 4 lbs using lurejensons.I personal like my light tackle combos 7 ft rods and 1000 or 2000 stradic shimanos with 6lbfireline straight to 30'deep mini dipies off to 4 ft. or so  8lb. flouroleader .. l usually troll sutton spoons usually #71 and #72 as they imitate the smelt size skipping now on the surface these days...and my friend  uses his  silver 20'deep torpedo with a blue/chrome croc spoon around 3/8oz. that was on sunday morning .. monday he helped my bro on the farm house and i went my solo fly fishing at around 11am on the beaverkill and did very well with overcast weather using bluewing olives 8 fish released 4bows 4 browns.. later that same afternoon  around 6pm we took the boat out once again and nailed twe more browns before dark trolling same rigs. It is all slow oar trolling as you should know no motors of anykind allowed. The time of year is now and as the weather warms up the lake surface it will be much harder and narrower fishing on these lakes for salmonoids.. but than the bass are always there for plugging and jigging.Pepacton is good well into july especially at night with latterns off the boat bouyed out in some 150' to 180' of water..as i understand it, it is in fact legal now to catch your own bait from the water you are fishing so long as you leave the impoundment without the baitfish.. (legal to catch use and release baitfish from where you fish the impoundment except smelt! no smelt fishing any nyc resi) .. We electric knifed one brown for dinner( still in frig.) all seem to be in the 2 to 3 year range of  3 to 5 lbs in the nev but all these impoundments including ashokan and roundout and especially the pepacton is live up to their reputations as trophy trout fisheries.I might be hitting the pepacaton this weekend. Also, must hit some pools on the beaverkill and E.B.D.  good luck and bless those who help others find the good in life.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/06/05 22:20:24 (permalink)
    yes hook as to your question, I have used  silver silverblue flatfish #4 and #3 and although i see them as very good lures in shallower lakes rivers and or streams. I use to use them small ones for stockies in the streams. but i used them many years ago and after so many decades  of fishing experiences on these waters, i have simply narrowed it down to a few basic lure patterns. In that i fish clearer waters, i much prefer using lures i can control by sink rather float .. in fact , i have done much better using sinking lures when slow drift troll oaring over deep water rather floating rapalas or flatfish lures. Spinners make no sense for trolling in my book.. My three tips for these fresh water lakes and for these fish are as follows #1 lure is the lurejensen (preferred color blue silver crocodile preferably 1/4oz. this is an early season lure specifically designed and most efficent for repeated long casting/retrieving with its standard barrel makes it a mono line friendly lure. another kickass lure i rank #2 is the pheobe again 1/4oz. silver /gold /brass or whichever you prefer or mind to simulate. The idea is to match the hatch sortta speak .. so if you see big baitfish or have an idea what the fish have been or are feeding on, you try to size the lure to that foraged bait. #3 These are a bit expensive ranging 4.50 on up..I will rank these top this time of yr simply the best in my book are the sutton flutter spoons and there are many sizes and weights to choose from so again just know what bait size you intend to imitate.   Now as for trolling patternsand speeds.. You just row where you think fish are present and you try to keep a steady comfortable speed as not to make it  a backache workout.. i try to find out what the weather is and where the wind will be during the day so as to take advantage of wind/wave direction. I usually won't bother windy day forcasts esp. whitecaps.Hook, i am not even into drifting bait fish until the fish go really deep and stop hitting lures.But even than, i rather cover more and see i'm covering more water using small clamp canon mini downriggers or these latest additions (mini troll dipsy divers) and these also offer a dial planer weight that moves the line right or left making room for third or even 4 rods for troll. GL once again.
    curtisb733
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/07/01 20:32:47 (permalink)
    Dude that is funny cause down here in lake wallenpaupack in NE PA  I catch 1" large mouth on a 3/8 ounce rooster tail   They look exactly as they do at 20 inches   mad funny

REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/07/03 19:54:21 (permalink)
    I think my wife holds the record for the smallest this year - but she is still on up on me

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/07/03 23:17:28 (permalink)
    cool lil hybrid striper ! I toured the mainstem del.this past monday..was muddy from those tribs previous floods. I caught an american eel floating a crawler from shore.I am going to float that river soon.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Badass Linesider 2007/07/04 09:10:50 (permalink)
    Reel Force:
    she's got a nice little schoolie there, fight like the dickens for their size
    was that on the Hudson or Mohawk ?

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Badass / champlain canal 2007/07/04 11:08:09 (permalink)
    Hi REEL Welcome to the boards here. Now THAT is a baby striper!  Your wifes arm must still be sore. Much nicer than my tawdry imitation. 

I see you're a Mohawk guy... I shore fish it sometimes myself.  I usually fish below lock 7, both the Niskayuna side and the Vischer Ferry side.  I'm an early-midday fisherman so I dont get much chance at the walleye, but sometimes the smallies hit good.  I tried the Malwyck park spot last week and no luck for me or the 3 other guys there.

I have a new spot on the Hudson, below Champlain Canal Lock 1 in Waterford.  You can shore fish for quite a ways on the island (walk across the lock and follow the trail on the left). There is a boat launch in Lansingburgh about 2 miles downstream if you wanted to boat up to it.  I've been there twice now and the smallie action was good both times. Also hooked a couple pike on Senkos and got them in. (wtf?)

The lockmaster told me he's caught some monster pike back there and some huge channel cats.  Just another local option maybe people didnt know much about

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Badass / champlain canal 2007/07/04 11:19:37 (permalink)
    yank, pardon me! nice lil schooly striper.. wonder if lil hybrids look the same? Is their a way to tell the difference between a baby hybrid and true striper?.. also wondering if any of you folks ever fished sturgeon pool on the wallkill river.Want to check that out sometime this summer.
    REEL FORCE
    RE: Badass / champlain canal 2007/07/04 14:41:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the welcome , that lil Striper was caught about a month ago on the Hudson about a mile south of the Troy Dam , I usually fish the Mohawk between Locks 7&8
    REEL FORCE
    RE: Badass / champlain canal 2007/07/04 17:31:22 (permalink)

the hybird will have broken lines on its side and will look more like the white perch ....
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Badass / champlain canal 2007/07/04 17:59:19 (permalink)
    cool
    the light house(rock pile) just south of the Lafarge loading dock usually holds schoolies all year
    boy now you may have 79 scratchin his head over that hybrid or is it a perch (lol)
    just ribbin you a little 79.....

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Badass / champlain canal 2007/07/04 21:14:09 (permalink)
    tuna,  If the hybrids you mention are there in sturgeon pool ,all the better! i'm interested more in that hole for walleye. During oneida lake fishing last month, on rt. home a tuesday,I toured the states walleye hatchery.  Greeted by a lone attendant, I had asked many questions about this hard to find gamefish. What I wanted to learn most was WHERE they release/stock these fish in the lower regions specifically any waters of the catskills.. his answer was that he only knows of one place that low a region near the catskill that they stock and it was sturgeon pool on the wallkill. So I would like to visit and possibly night fish this pool from boat or shore..just see if it is my kind of fishery.
    Jump to: