Rocket Scientists With Boats

Author
bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/17 16:01:15 (permalink)

Rocket Scientists With Boats

While fishing yesterday approx 11 miles NE of Ashtabula, I see a boat approaching at planing speed from off my port stern, It was a C-Dory with the name "KNOT CUTE" on the pilot house side, this jackass proceeds to pass on the port within 40-50 feet and then crosses in front of me closer than that, I was trolling with 4 dipsys on each side, 2 downriggers and 2 leadcore flatlines, so an abrupt turn was not an option, I may be wrong but why in the hell would you get this close to someone at more than displacement speed and the real question is why would you want to, there wasnt another boat within a half mile of us, so it wasnt like that was his only option, on a side note, on the way to the boat today, I saw this rig being trailered by a silver Toyota p/u headed the opposite direction I was going or I would have had a nice discussion with the gentleman, so if boating out of Ashtabula keep an eye out for this guy and be prepared to take evasive action as he obviously doesnt have the brains to pass at a safe and courteous distance

3 Replies Related Threads

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Rocket Scientists With Boats 2008/08/20 09:46:50 (permalink)
    ya ive seen it too many times to count i had a guy bird doggin me so close i thought any min now ill here my reel sing as his prop wraped it up but i did a stupid thing i was untangleing some lines not lookin get it untangled no go figure i have my wife and a bud abord kids were sleeping and i came in 50 yards of another boat sorry little boat did not mean to crowed you as soon as i seen that i went hard starbord and picked up speed hell i get up set when peeps get close like that the lake is larger than that
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: Rocket Scientists With Boats 2008/08/20 18:43:52 (permalink)
    I noticed last year, when i was trolling at Conny, that i had the same course as another boat. It was much bigger than mine and had big boards out. Since i only troll with 2 poles and 1 rigger, i pulled up the poles and sped up until i was out of the way. Waved at him that i was sorry and he waved back and we both kept on trolling along. I got 2 limits of eaters that day. Only took a little over 2 hours too. Dont know what i'd have done if i had 4 rods out.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Rocket Scientists With Boats 2008/08/28 13:29:06 (permalink)
    Taught me in the Navy - steady bearing, decreasing range = collision course!
    Jump to: